Bob Mckenzie Final Rankings

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Kotkaniemi to Montreal seems like a thing at this point. They might trade for ROR the same day and revamp that position in one day.

lol no, without the 3rd pick Montreal has nothing worth Buffalo trading ROR for.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Dobson, Hughes, Bouchard, and Boqvist all available at #6?

giphy.gif

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I secretly hope Detroit trades whatever they can for pick 7, take Dobson and Bouchard and create a pairing called, "Douchard."

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think tkachuk is a "safe" pick and has a low chance of busting. When you draft high, I rather swing for the fences than take a guy I compare to tj oshie. A good player but not a superstar.

That's not the perception of this group of scouts though. He's viewed as raw with untapped potential which is contrary to how a lot of posters as him pegged.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I wish I saw what all the scouts see in Tkachuk. I think he’s a top20 player in this draft but I’m not taking him Top5

He may end up being really good like his brother
If you are an Isles fan, you got to like seeing Boqvist and Hughes within striking range at #11. To me this is the biggest need other than a #1G for the Isles.

Reactions: SI90

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
If you are an Isles fan, you got to like seeing Boqvist and Hughes within striking range at #11. To me this is the biggest need other than a #1G for the Isles.

If I'm Ken Holland and I'm able to grab Dobson or Bouchard at #6 and Hughes or Boqvist is still available at #10, I'm packaging as many picks as necessary with AA/Nyquist to get that pick.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If I'm Ken Holland and I'm able to grab Dobson or Bouchard at #6 and Hughes or Boqvist is still available at #10, I'm packaging as many picks as necessary with AA/Nyquist to get that pick.

The funny thing is, I like Hughes and Boqvist a tad bit more than Bouchard and Dobson. But I do like them all. D men are hard to find in the NHL. Everyone wants them, and drafting them would be the easiest way to get them. I can see some jockeying from a few partners.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
The funny thing is, I like Hughes and Boqvist a tad bit more than Bouchard and Dobson. But I do like them all. D men are hard to find in the NHL. Everyone wants them, and drafting them would be the easiest way to get them. I can see some jockeying from a few partners.

I think you're getting a solid D-man no matter which of the four you get. The only way it may go wrong is for Hughes with his size.

Which makes it more likely that Holland trades back a couple picks and takes what's left. I don't think DET has the pieces to get #10. 30 + 33 + 36 is too much for them and too little for anybody else.

That said, I think with the pick of the four, Holland takes Bouchard or Dobson over Hughes or Boqvist. He's been going with size and skating ability lately.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
That's not the perception of this group of scouts though. He's viewed as raw with untapped potential which is contrary to how a lot of posters as him pegged.
not overly impressed with the many times i have seen him. Scouts are wrong more often than not. Like I said, he will be a good player...but a great player, nope.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Recent late draft risers that I can remember were scheifele and Ryan Johansen, both centers too...

Yeah, plenty of examples of draft risers.. PLD also. I forget if Draisaitl rose much from mid-season to draft.

Draft fallers... wow... plenty of examples of busts.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Everybody knows about McKenzie's famous list. If I'm one of those 10 NHL scouts, I'm giving him false information for sure. I'd rate some players we don't want higher, in hope that someone gets influenced by that list. In fact, I'd be very surprise if the GM would be fine with one of his scouts giving information like that. Sure we don't know who the scouts are, but some might know. I'm really skeptical about it, just my 2 cents.

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
Everybody knows about McKenzie's famous list. If I'm one of those 10 NHL scouts, I'm giving him false information for sure. I'd rate some players we don't want higher, in hope that someone gets influenced by that list. In fact, I'd be very surprise if the GM would be fine with one of his scouts giving information like that. Sure we don't know who the scouts are, but some might know. I'm really skeptical about it, just my 2 cents.

So you think a team is like well i really like this player...but Mckenzie's list has this guy higher lets draft him instead!

HockeyAnalystGenius

Jun 15, 2017
As Ususual Bob just follows the Consensus Draft Rankings right to the T and offers No Unique Perspective. Oh well. Kotakanemi is not going to do it.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
So you think a team is like well i really like this player...but Mckenzie's list has this guy higher lets draft him instead!

I'm skeptical a GM would let one of their scout giving any confidential information to the mainstream media.

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
As was said on the Bobcast, the top 12 players figured top 5 on at least one of the lists (from the 12 scouts). Considering there is another 19 teams with likely different lists and that among the 12 lists submitted each top 12 player figured top 5 on at least one of them, it's quite likely the list gets shuffled quite a bit on draft day. It only takes one team liking a prospect for him to get selected.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
If Merkley is around in the 2nd round I feel like Detroit almost has to take him. Three picks in that range. Might as well take a swing.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yeah, plenty of examples of draft risers.. PLD also. I forget if Draisaitl rose much from mid-season to draft.

Draft fallers... wow... plenty of examples of busts.

I prefer prospects who keep getting better as the season goes and finish their seasons strong.

If we look at Finland and the recent prospects who have gotten better as the season has gone on and ended their seasons strong, Laine, Aho, Rantanen, Vesalainen, Heiskanen.
That's a pretty good looking list.

Last edited:
Reactions: voxel

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I prefer prospects who keep getting better as the season goes and finish their seasons strong.

If we look at Finland and the recent prospects who have gotten better as the season has gone on and ended their seasons strong, Laine, Aho, Rantanen, Vesalainen, Heiskanen.
That's a pretty good looking list.

+1

Progression is a great sign. Regression/decline is death for a prospect.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012

His list is the closest one to the actual draft every year.

ObscureAlien

May 1, 2016
I'm skeptical a GM would let one of their scout giving any confidential information to the mainstream media.

an individual scout's list is not the same as a team's list. and tbh there's a reason scouts continue to provide him rankings: he is not going to disclose each individual list in it's entirety and he is not going to name the scout's and teams they work for because no scout would ever trust him again and he wouldn't be able to make this list for us, therefore losing the $ that the clicks and tv special provide.

Edit: and you can make the argument that McKenzie's ranking and tv special help grow the game.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad