Bob McKenzie: Deal Next Week, Maybe Week of July 11th

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSC2k2*

Scugs said:
I'm going to take this opportunity now, since I've missed alot of others before.

You're an idiot.

While what you say is true. You're making the point of favouritism. Canada isnt the only country with immigrants. The US has alot of them too, you know? Go ask the minorities in New York what their fav sport is.

Or go ask people in Nashville what theirs is. Southern US isnt exactly "Hockey Crazed"..

Football, and Basketball is definately a bigger presence with the black community. So you can strike that out there. Spanish community prefer Baseball more than any other sport. Soccer is also huge in both countries.

Im not saying Canada doesnt have any blacks or Spanish people, but there are definately alot more down in the US.

There are many more examples but it would be a waste of time.
See my post above as to my point. A comparison of Canada to US was and is not the point. Never was.

AS for me being an idiot, you are resorting to the last resort of a poster who knows he has nothing to stand on. I am sorry i had to disappoint you by actually being a Canadian who has been a hockey fan for 35 years instead of an American for whom you could roll out the usual cliches. Glad you got that out of your system and found the chance to call em an idiot, though. If you had missed another chance, perhaps your head might have exploded.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
MykeAbner said:
Every single female I know likes hockey more than any other sport.

Well if that is not definitive proof, then I dont know what is. Gallup has nothing on you.

oildrop

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
gscarpenter2002 said:
Fair enough, but that number shocks me, frankly. If anything, it is elevated since saying you are Canadian and NOT a hockey fan carries a little bit of stigma given the fanaticism of many.

THAT BEING SAID, that was not the statement. Here it was:

Being a "hockey fan" and having it be your #1 sport are two entirely different things. I am a fan, but I prefer baseball and golf. That is just me.

Regarding the comparison of percentages of Canadians to Americans, it might be noted that I took no issue with that. I take issue with the mindset of some posters here that hockey is the be-all and end-all, and pointing out that such a mindset is a huge obstacle to any kind of cogent discussion as to what ails hockey.

My % was no where near accurate. I was just trying to get the point across of how many Canadians love hockey compared to the % down in the U.S. There's more of us and that's all I was really getting at. Hockey is huge here and no one can deny that.

Now, let's get back to the point of this thread...shall we. :)

GSC2k2*

MykeAbner said:
Considering how defensive you get about generalizing Americans and hockey, you sure seem to be generalizing females and hockey a lot. Every single female I know likes hockey more than any other sport.
Sorry, I don't recall getting defensive about anything, let alone anything to do with Americans. I was pointing out a ridiculous overstatement about Canadian fandom. I am a Canadian living in Canada for chrissake. :shakehead

As for female fandom, I know tons of women who don't like sports period, and many more who like other sports much much more than hockey.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
oildrop said:
I sure hope this is some kind of joke because if that was the real logo, then the NHL must be smoking something fierce. :eek:

WEll at least it looks somewhat believable... Nah man, I just made it up in the past 3 minutes, while reading this discussion. :biglaugh:

Spungo*

Scugs said:
Spuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggoooooooooo :handclap:

I wonder if he will still be bold enough to make his predictions

It's the same old "just 2 more weeks" nonsense we have been hearing for the last month.

oildrop

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
Spungo said:
2 more weeks, just 2 more weeks! :biglaugh:

You know, I was getting annoyed with your posts but I'm starting to wonder if this thing will even get done by the end of July. I've heard this same damn story too often the past couple months...the "2 more weeks" story that is.

GSC2k2*

oildrop said:
My % was no where near accurate. I was just trying to get the point across of how many Canadians love hockey compared to the % down in the U.S. There's more of us and that's all I was really getting at. Hockey is huge here and no one can deny that.

Now, let's get back to the point of this thread...shall we. :)
Noted. ;)

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
hope its true but i'll believe it when i see it...i've heard 'the end is near' too many times...we keep getting dates that the deal supposedly will be announced and then that date arrives and the same sources push the date back...

first it was june 1st, then around june 1st it become june 15th, then around june 15th it became july 1st, now july 1st comes around and its the week of july 11th...does that mean on july 10th we'll be told august 1st is the target??

its gotta end sooner or later, and rumors have been positive...but i'm not holding my breath

Spungo*

Hockey is a national obsession in Canada.

Hockey is a national joke in the U.S.

End of story.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
Spungo said:
Hockey is a national obsession in Canada.

Hockey is a national joke in the U.S.

End of story.
And that, my friend, earns you the first spot on my ignore list. Thanks for your time.

As for my hopes... heck, who am I kidding. They're always up.

hockeynut11

Jun 16, 2005
I think the agreement will be done "in principle" next week. It's not the another two weeks story. I've heard so many positive rumors, and good indications (hiring, firing of GMs, coaches, etc) for it not to be done next week. Hockey is coming back, I can feel it!

Spungo*

Kritter471 said:
And that, my friend, earns you the first spot on my ignore list. Thanks for your time.

As for my hopes... heck, who am I kidding. They're always up.

Oh, I'm sorry. Hockey is given the highest respect in the United States. It's not like arena football and bowling beat the snot out of hockey in television ratings or anything like that.

Spungo*

Bulin Wall said:
Spungo, you're a "national joke" on this board.

:biglaugh:

Look at the calendar, doofus. July 1 arrives in less than 2.5 hours. I'll be back at midnight to laugh a hearty laugh in your face. Looks like Spungo was right and Bulin Wall was wrong. Get used to that feeling, Frodo.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
oildrop said:
The U.S may hold the majority of the teams but hockey is the no.1 sport for 98% of the Canadians and that percentage for the U.S fans is much much lower. Hockey is not as popular in the U.S and we all know this. Canada is known for hockey and when someone thinks Canada...they think Hockey!

i think about the hot women of calgary... but suit yourself.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
Kritter471 said:
I missed the NHL just as as much as any Canadian (perhaps more if you consider I had significantly less access to hockey on tv or local minor leagues than the average NHL-city Canadian). Don't get into which nationality has more passion, because that will very quickly tern into jingoistic name-calling on both sides.

I think what you meant to say is that more Canadians than Americans missed the NHL, which I wouldn't have much of an issue with. I think the numbers are a closer than you imagine (because of the larger population in the US), but I wouldn't argue that more Canadians miss the NHL (at least not publically :sarcasm: ).
And the numbers are closer than some people are imagining, especially if you look at the actual fans who are most affected by this lockout--the more ardent hockey fans. In other words, the types of fans who watch your run-of-the-mill weeknight hockey game on TSN or ESPN. What's a good rating for TSN for this type of game? A 1.0? A 2.0? A 3.0? (I'm guessing that would be stretching it. Bob M.?) That translates to what, a couple hundred thousand viewers in Canada? If ESPN pulls a 0.5 rating, that's what, 500,000 viewers? The point is that when you look at the more serious fans who follow the game, while the percentage is higher in Canada, the overall numbers are in the same ballpark, and there's probably even a higher number in the US (the real difference occurs among the non-serious fans... the general public... where the casual fan or even non-sports fan is more hockey-aware in Canada than in the US... because the culture and the media foster it on a local and national level, while it's far more localized in the US).

But when Bob refers to people being able to relax over the holiday and celebrate feeling secure that a deal is in sight, the serious fans are the ones who are more relevant to the discussion--they're the ones who are concerned over this lockout in the first place. They're the ones reading articles. They're the ones who have really missed hockey through the last year. And it's for this reason that I actually found Bob's comment kind of gratuitous. Don't get me wrong... I'm as big a Bob McKenzie fan as there is. I love it when he posts here, and I respect his writing more than just about anyone else when it comes to hockey. I just found the comment on Americans unnecessary at a time when we've all suffered and want the game back badly. There are more than enough of us who have suffered south of the border as well, and all of us serious fans--Canadian and American--are thrilled to be reading that Bob expects a resolution within days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad