Bob McKenzie: Deal Next Week, Maybe Week of July 11th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogbert*

Spungo said:
Read it again, Mr. Reading Comprehension.

The sense is it should be finished sometime next week, with an outside chance it could carry over into the week of July 11th

There ya go.

The main difference is that McKenzie said it's an outside chance. The likelihood, according to him, is next week.

I do understand your pessimism, though. We've been taken to the cleaner's so many times over the last year or so that it's hard not to... especially considering that with every intelligent rebuttal you're getting, ten responses to the effect of "U MORONE THERE GONNA SING A DELE ON TUEZDAY l0lz kthxbye" accompany it.

Can't wait for next week, Bob. I hope you're right.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
The ratification period doesnt really matter... It will be done. Like Bob said, we will know the specifics of the CBA before the ratification period ends. Essentially the lockout is over, it's just a matter of teaching 30 owners, GM's, and coaches the do's and don'ts...

As well as 750 players.

oildrop

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
Scugs said:
The ratification period doesnt really matter... It will be done. Like Bob said, we will know the specifics of the CBA before the ratification period ends. Essentially the lockout is over, it's just a matter of teaching 30 owners, GM's, and coaches the do's and don'ts...

As well as 750 players.

Well, hopefully we know the details before the ratification because it might take 3 or more months for some of these players to understand this CBA. :biglaugh:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
oildrop said:
Well, hopefully we know the details before the ratification because it might take 3 or more months for some of these players to understand this CBA. :biglaugh:

Goodenow is currently teaching about half of them the phrase 'would you like fries with that' to help them with the upcoming transition.

Large_Farva*

Spungo said:
You and all your "I believe anything the media tells me" bunch are 40 minutes away from being proven wrong... again. I guess you will just ignore the fact that July 1 will come and go without a deal announced. Then you will ignore when July 4 comes and goes without a deal. Then you will ignore when July 15 comes and goes without a deal. Then when August hits, it's Spungo time! Ha! This is too funny. :biglaugh:

you are such a cool dude

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
Chaos said:
I dont believe everything the media tells me...but go ahead and keep telling yourself that. For the 3rd time(try not to avoid it like a little kid this time): do you stand by your "August at the earliest or more likely January" statement still? Answer the question.

Gotta go with you on this one about the media.

This "two weeks" thing has taken on a life of its own for a couple reasons; 1) the media has had pretty much zero in the way of statements and/or reports from those involved in the negotiations in the last month or so and, 2) obsessive (and bored) fans like most of us here have a tendency to throw one little comment absurdly out of proportion and to beat that horse long after it's been dead and buried.

If the media had anything even remotely substantial, even a vague comment on which to speculate and write a juicy article, they would have. Even a small, cryptic piece of info (whether true or not) is enough for them. As we've seen many times in the past, one little tidbit is enough for them to speculate about a timetable. And the next little tidbit they report on usually changes the timetable. And so on, and so forth. Instead, the only thing we've heard in the last month, month and a half is the deal should be done in "two weeks".

We know the league and the PA have been extremely tight-lipped in recent weeks, to the point of saying nothing. And I get the hefty suspicion that these writers have been getting absolutely nothing from their sources as well. They have jack to report, so they put a vague "two weeks" descriptor on it, knowing that the two sides are indeed working towards a resolution. I could be wrong, maybe the media-types did get it from their sources that it would be two weeks. But even that is pretty speculative, considering that the two sides are drafting the agreement as they go along. Damn near impossible to give a timetable when a long and complex legal document is being written as they progress (one minor disagreement could result in a couple days of delay, and that's just one of many possible delays given this current situation).

Since us fans are starved for any news and we finally see some light at the end of the tunnel, we jump on every comment like a pack of crazed dogs. Everything is so over-analyzed and repeated ad nauseam and thrown so far out of whack, I can see how people can lose perspective around here. It's freaking chaos, even I believed this "two weeks" thing for a bit. But it didn't take too much time to see that it was bunk and means nothing. Hopefully the same thing occurs over the rest of this board.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Any more bickering in this thread will be dealt with swiftly and harshly.

Might I remind all you partisan US and Canada people that this thread is about Bob McKenzie's article. I will shut it down if one more comment is made about popularity of the sport in either country.

Keep in mind that one doesn't have hockey as we love it without the other. Now shut it.

Last edited:

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
There is a part of me that wants to see the NHL stumble just a little bit. Not because I want to see it fail, because I don't..

I just want something to happen, to show both sides that if this ever happens again that they will deeply, deeply regret it.

Whatever that may be, I hope it scares the **** out of both the NHL and the NHLPA.

I guess I don't want to see it stumble, because I don't want this sport to suffer more than it already has, just something...

KOVALEV10*

This is all pure speculation. I love Bob (i really do) as I think he's the best TSN hockey analist but he's not that much more informed then regular people like us. You never know when it's gonna get done. Hell maybe even this weekend. You never know..

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
KOVALEV10 said:
This is all pure speculation. I love Bob (i really do) as I think he's the best TSN hockey analist but he's not that much more informed then regular people like us

Yes he is. Its part of his job.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
clefty said:
Yes he is. Its part of his job.
KOV10 must have missed this little nugget by Bob himself in the TSN top 30 draft thread.

And as for the poster who can't believe NHL team scouts would actually tell me what they really think and where they have players rated, well, all I can say is they do (and it's a good thing, too) and it's probably because we have a strong bond of trust that dates back in many cases 15 to 25 years. To tell you the truth, my entire livelihood is based on people telling me things they ought not to.

Spungo*

Chaos said:
I dont believe everything the media tells me...but go ahead and keep telling yourself that. For the 3rd time(try not to avoid it like a little kid this time): do you stand by your "August at the earliest or more likely January" statement still? Answer the question.

What in Gods name are you spouting off about? Do I stand by it? I'm still saying it, aren't I? If you are looking to gamble, go back to the bingo hall.

P.S. July 1 is here and you were wrong. Ha! Ha!

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Spungo said:
What in Gods name are you spouting off about? Do I stand by it? I'm still saying it, aren't I? If you are looking to gamble, go back to the bingo hall.

P.S. July 1 is here and you were wrong. Ha! Ha!

Man what immaturity. You act as if Im trying to get you to bet $100 grand or something. Im just trying to get you to bet something as little as your user title(what it says right below your user name). But you are too scared because you know your " late August or September at the very earliest with a January start of the season being more realistic. Bank on it." statement is just a big crockof bs.

P.S. When did I state it would definately get done by July 1st?

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
Scugs said:
It is our sport.. You disagree with this?

Just because the NHL has the majortiy of its teams in the States doesnt mean Hockey as a whole is America's sport, and not Canada's..
It's not Canada's sport --- it is an international sport.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
HockeyCritter said:
It's not Canada's sport --- it is an international sport.

a sport belongs to no one... exactly. a "sport" is a piece of paper that outlines rules for playing a game... i would also argue that hockey is a regional sport... regional to places where it happens to be cold... which canada happens to be... as does the northern part of the US.

but whatever... everyone here loves the game (they wouldn't be here if they didn't presumably), so not sure why the pissing contest is necessary.

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
Jester said:
i would also argue that hockey is a regional sport... regional to places where it happens to be cold... which canada happens to be... as does the northern part of the US.

Temperature only matters if the games are being played outdoors, wouldn't you say?

Duff88

May 7, 2002
Beauty said:
I'm in an overly optimistic mood! I bet they sign on the dotted line today.

I don't know if it's always the same poster but I've heard this everyday for the last 2 weeks... :dunno:

Stonehands77

Jul 8, 2002
Waltham, MA
Duff88 said:
I don't know if it's always the same poster but I've heard this everyday for the last 2 weeks... :dunno:
It's usually the same poster, or people imitating him. Personally, I find it amusing.

And if Bob M. is reporting this, I think I'll allow my hopes to rise just a little bit. It'd be good to have hockey back. My wife and I went insane this past winter from no hockey watching. And I sure as hell want something other than the Phillies to follow right now. :(

Here's hoping we're almost there! :cheers:

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
KOVALEV10 said:
This is all pure speculation. I love Bob (i really do) as I think he's the best TSN hockey analist but he's not that much more informed then regular people like us. You never know when it's gonna get done. Hell maybe even this weekend. You never know..

After some of your posts, I sure hope that Bob's better informed that most posters on this board! :)

Seriously though - while Bob hasn't been like GKJ regarding optimism, I think that he has some serious credibility that the previous "two week" announcers lacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad