Bob McKenzie: Deal Next Week, Maybe Week of July 11th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie.asp

Canadians can celebrate Canada Day on Friday and Americans, the small minority that actually like hockey that is, can have their Fourth of July celebration on Monday, reasonably secure in the knowledge that the long-awaited agreement is within sight.

The sense is it should be finished sometime next week, with an outside chance it could carry over into the week of July 11th, but in any case, we're talking a small number of days.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I just want this to end. We can all go away for the long weekend and come back with the new NHL. Best thing is to just not think of it at all...

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Once the deal is officially announced, I hope the do the mega-announcement that BobMac refers to at the end of the article. Imagine Bettman saying the lockout is over, here are the new rules... Now ladies and gentlemen, the draft lottery.

It would be an insane moment for HFBoards, that's for sure.

oildrop

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
Oil3rs said:
Not sure if we've heard this before.

Exactly what I was thinking. He said this same thing 2 weeks ago. Everyone keeps saying 2 weeks. It's the same ol' story every week. The dates just get further and further into the summer. :shakehead

Grandpabuzz

Oct 13, 2003
Dallas, Texas
Yay! Time to go put on my cowboy boots and start masturbating to Goodenow's wife.

I kid, I kid. I respect Bob and next week should be the best week in over a year for hockey fans.

oildrop

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
Tricolore#20 said:
Once the deal is officially announced, I hope the do the mega-announcement that BobMac refers to at the end of the article. Imagine Bettman saying the lockout is over, here are the new rules... Now ladies and gentlemen, the draft lottery.

It would be an insane moment for HFBoards, that's for sure.

The boards would be on a lock-out for 2 more weeks after this occurs. :sarcasm:

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I remember when there was talk of a new NHL Logo... I bet if there are any candidates you will see one with the silhouette of a hockey player.

I personally like the NHL's logo.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Canadians can celebrate Canada Day on Friday and Americans, the small minority that actually like hockey that is, can have their Fourth of July celebration on Monday.

The small minority is the minority that holds 24 of 30 teams. I'm sorry, but I hate how some canadians think hockey is their sport. I may be commenting about nothing but its comments like that that always rub me the wrong way.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
So, if I'm reading this right, the gist is that the agreement will be reached and there will be no press conference, that the official announcement will only come after the agreement has been ratified by both sides.

Boy oh boy. Let me one of the first to predict 704 rumors that an agreement has been reached in the next 7 days.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
NYRangers said:
The small minority is the minority that holds 24 of 30 teams. I'm sorry, but I hate how some canadians think hockey is their sport. I may be commenting about nothing but its comments like that that always rub me the wrong way.

It is our sport.. You disagree with this?

Just because the NHL has the majortiy of its teams in the States doesnt mean Hockey as a whole is America's sport, and not Canada's..

oildrop

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
NYRangers said:

The U.S may hold the majority of the teams but hockey is the no.1 sport for 98% of the Canadians and that percentage for the U.S fans is much much lower. Hockey is not as popular in the U.S and we all know this. Canada is known for hockey and when someone thinks Canada...they think Hockey!

GSC2k2*

I for one always thought there was no way they would point out that this was the second lockout by re-using the goofy "Game On" slogan. Why bring up a previous failure to fix the economics?

SedinFan*

Bobby boys gotta come on here and tell us if he's got any actual sources for this one. We've heard the 2 week thing over and over again.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Kritter471 said:
So, if I'm reading this right, the gist is that the agreement will be reached and there will be no press conference, that the official announcement will only come after the agreement has been ratified by both sides.

Boy oh boy. Let me one of the first to predict 704 rumors that an agreement has been reached in the next 7 days.
Id like to get a head start. A deal has been reached already but wont be announced yet because they feel like stringing us along a bit further. Bastards.

oildrop

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
gscarpenter2002 said:
I for one always thought there was no way they would point out that this was the second lockout by re-using the goofy "Game On" slogan. Why bring up a previous failure to fix the economics?

They aren't. There's a new slogan and Bob mentions what it is.

GSC2k2*

oildrop said:
The U.S may hold the majority of the teams but hockey is the no.1 sport for 98% of the Canadians and that percentage for the U.S fans is much much lower. Hockey is not as popular in the U.S and we all know this. Canada is known for hockey and when someone thinks Canada...they think Hockey!
98% of Canadians think hockey is the #1 sport?? Even assuming you mean "hockey is their favourite sport", what are you smoking?

No wonder hockey fans don't have a clue how to market hockey. They have blinders on and assume everyone thinks like them.

oildrop

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
gscarpenter2002 said:
98% of Canadians think hockey is the #1 sport?? Even assuming you mean "hockey is their favourite sport", what are you smoking?

No wonder hockey fans don't have a clue how to market hockey. They have blinders on and assume everyone thinks like them.

Are you from Canada? Probably not, because if you were, you would realize that hockey is huge in Canada.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
gscarpenter2002 said:

Who is smoking what? Are you Canadian? If so, thats too bad because you obviously have no knowledge of our countries favourite pass time...

GSC2k2*

oildrop said:
Are you from Canada? Probably not, because if you were, you would realize that hockey is huge in Canada.
Yes, I am. Your point?

Who is smoking what? Are you Canadian? If so, thats too bad because you obviously have no knowledge of our countries favourite pass time...

98%? Even putting aside the fact that lots of people don't like ANY sport, and the tons of people who prefer football or baseball, you might want to consider the sex that comprises over 50% of our population (with due respect to critter/kritter).

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
I don't think NYR is debating that hockey and Canada are intrensicly link. And everyone does know a much larger percentage of Canadians consider themselves hockey fans.

But it's the sense of "okay all you Canadians (oh, and you 14 stupid Americans in the corner), it's hockey time!" that sometimes comes across in the hockey media that gets rather frustrating.

And to consider a sport, especially a sport on such an international stage, as "property" of some country is dumb. Soccer isn't England's or Brazil's, baseball and football aren't America's, badminton isn't the Phillipine's. Sports aren't property (or an inalienable right, as we've found out this non-season).

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
Kritter471 said:
I don't think NYR is debating that hockey and Canada are intrensicly link. And everyone does know a much larger percentage of Canadians consider themselves hockey fans.

But it's the sense of "okay all you Canadians (oh, and you 14 stupid Americans in the corner), it's hockey time!" that sometimes comes across in the hockey media that gets rather frustrating.

Well said. But everyone stop your crying about Canada vs US garbage. The league is coming back.

Bob is always right. Back in February he warned that there wasn't enough time. He has never said it was going to end until today, so I'm banking on him being right. But if you could Bob, post a little on HF for us...give us some more info, we know you have it...come on Bobbyyyyy!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->