Bob Gainey attempted to trade up at '03 Draft to select Marc-Andre Fleury

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Typical

As for the Fleury trade, lucky it didn't happen but then again if Fleury was going to be brought into the league the way he should have and developed properly in the minors maybe things would have been different today. Penguins rushed him for no reason since they had a **** team

I think that has nothing to do with it. I agree he was rushed but still developped, he still isn't very strong mentally and when things go bad they really go bad.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Fleury's not great but the Pens play a crazy system, very much like ours. I wouldn't be surprised if he looked better in another system.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I think that has nothing to do with it. I agree he was rushed but still developped, he still isn't very strong mentally and when things go bad they really go bad.

Scary, sounds a lot like Carey Price. Hopefully the new goalie coach will help Carey regain top form

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Scary, sounds a lot like Carey Price. Hopefully the new goalie coach will help Carey regain top form

Usually Price has been better at bouncing back from bad games/goals but this yaer he seemed to not be able to shake his funk the last month.

Drive425

Jul 24, 2006
St Louis Du Haha
This pair must be really desparate when they start bringing up supposed deals that didn't happen 10 years ago. These days news gets old in 10 minutes never mind 10 years.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
This pair must be really desparate when they start bringing up supposed deals that didn't happen 10 years ago. These days news gets old in 10 minutes never mind 10 years.

Maybe you want to read the OP, it was a 2003 Draft Look Back Special on TSN. What else would they be talking about if not things that happened in 2003?

dmanfish90

How about 76 for 25?
Jan 5, 2011
Newmarket, Ontario
I really want Beaulieu to have a better career than Hamilton.

Me too. I hate the Bruins as much as anybody. We got Beaulieu because we traded up for him? They just got Hamilton because Toronto couldn't finish higher than like 11th in the Eastern Conference for 2 years.

It enfuriates me that Burke was willing to risk giving the division rivals 1st round picks for a guy like Kessel, who is really good, but I mean come on there are better ways to deal with this. I guess Toronto really had no prospects or roster players that Boston wanted.

**** you Brian Burke.

WestIslander

Feb 5, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
So we could of had Fleury instead of Kostitsyn and Kopitar instead of Price? And as a result we would of kept McDonagh from 2007 with Subban and Pacioretty.

So...

Kopitar
Pacioretty
McDonagh
Subban
Fluery

THAT IS 5 PLAYERS FROM THE 7 PLAYER PROFILE TO WIN THE CUP!!!

LOL

Darz

Sep 22, 2002
Where's the ANY key?
Visit site
how much has changed in 10 years. can you believe that the price to move up from #3 to #1 was pending UFA Mikael Samuelsson and a swap of 55th overall for 73rd overall? try bringing that kind of proposal to the trade boards today:

COL trades 1st OV and 3rd round pick for say 2nd OV, a 2nd round pick and someone like Jack Skille...

Florida knew they would still get the player they wanted at #3 (Horton), knowing Carolina was taking Eric Staal, so it wasn't a big move.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
So we could of had Fleury instead of Kostitsyn and Kopitar instead of Price? And as a result we would of kept McDonagh from 2007 with Subban and Pacioretty.

So...

Kopitar
Pacioretty
McDonagh
Subban
Fluery

LOL

It's pretty well documented that it was either Price or Staal at #5 for the Habs. No reason to think we would have deviated from that plan and drafted Kopitar.

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec

So...

Kopitar
Pacioretty
McDonagh
Subban
Fluery

LOL

Instead we have

Galchenyuk
Pacioretty
Subban
Price

All equivalent, but we miss McDonagh (which is unrelated). We also have some fairly good assets in Beaulieu, Gallagher, Eller, Tinordi. Some of these guys could move in the same tier as our top4 players.

I think Galchenyuk will be more or less equivalent to Kopitar.

Drive425

Jul 24, 2006
St Louis Du Haha
Maybe you want to read the OP, it was a 2003 Draft Look Back Special on TSN. What else would they be talking about if not things that happened in 2003?

TSN is getting light on the programming then? Maybe they will do a Draft look back all the way to the 50's!!! btw, you know where you can stick the sarcasm. :nod:

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
Me too. I hate the Bruins as much as anybody. We got Beaulieu because we traded up for him? They just got Hamilton because Toronto couldn't finish higher than like 11th in the Eastern Conference for 2 years.

It enfuriates me that Burke was willing to risk giving the division rivals 1st round picks for a guy like Kessel, who is really good, but I mean come on there are better ways to deal with this. I guess Toronto really had no prospects or roster players that Boston wanted.

**** you Brian Burke.

No he just fell to us

dmanfish90

How about 76 for 25?
Jan 5, 2011
Newmarket, Ontario
We traded up for Tinordi. Maybe that's what the guy was saying.

I knew we traded up for Tinordi because we had the 27th or 28th pick (ECF Run) and drafted Jarred at 22.

However I thought getting Beaulieu at 17th was a trade up in 2011 as I thought we finished higher than i thought we did that season (i think we finished 7th, in which case 17th makes sense).

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
I'd hire Mike Milbury and than fire him again.

It was funny his reaction yesterday against Pierre McGuire's comments on him.

Picking Nilsson over Zach Parise whose background would have been a perfect fit for the Isle. Tavares-Parise duo damn..

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I'd hire Mike Milbury and than fire him again.

It was funny his reaction yesterday against Pierre McGuire's comments on him.

Picking Nilsson over Zach Parise whose background would have been a perfect fit for the Isle. Tavares-Parise duo damn..

Wat. Islanders wouldn't have finished last in 2009 if they had Parise.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Wat. Islanders wouldn't have finished last in 2009 if they had Parise.

Could be true.

But, boy Milbury's was pissed yesterday on the show at McGuire.

Anyhow, Kostitsyn 10th overall haha... ahh it sucks but nothing happens for a reason. Without Kostitsyn, we would have never had Sergei Kostitsyn.;)

Rumcajs

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa
Why is everyone hating on Fleury? He is still a really great goaltender. Just recently snakebitten in the playoffs. A change of scenery will fix most of his woes.

Price My Man Crush

Aug 27, 2011
Montréal
Why is everyone hating on Fleury? He is still a really great goaltender. Just recently snakebitten in the playoffs. A change of scenery will fix most of his woes.

Recently? :laugh: Okay man, I think you never watched a single game from the 2010 playoffs against the Montreal Canadiens. Even in 2009 he had some games where he was so bad tbh.

Jmac1160*

Franchise goalies don't ask to be traded!

I like how you make up your own rules on what a franchise goalie is. Luongo Lundqvist Quick Hasek Roy Brodeur and Kipprusoff are ALL franchise goalies. You must be smoking something really potent to say that franchise goalies are only those who win multiple cups don't ask to be traded and don't play on different teams.

By your logic Wayne Gretzkey was not a franchise player because he played on different teams. Mark Messier, Jagr, Gordie Howe, I can go on forever. Your logic is majorly skewed

But I am glad we didn't draft Bucky Larson look alike Marc-Andre Fleury

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad