Bob Gainey attempted to trade up at '03 Draft to select Marc-Andre Fleury

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
And then we'd ruin Fucale.

Would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.

That's about it. Fucale is incredibly near my hometown....I'm pulling for him BIG TIME.....I love the Q....I overrated the Q prospects...and I don't want him in Montreal. It should be enough for some people...;)

Suzuki2017

Jun 26, 2013
You're all wrong, Gainey was an excellent judge of talent, he saw Theodore was going to bust! Remember, he had just won the vezina and hart in 2001-02. What a judge of talent! :nod:

Not really.. maybe if we would had drafted Fleury we would had traded Theo earlier and had a better return than Aebby and then been able to draft Kopi.. Damn Gainey!

Fun info, all these attempts of trade or draft list should be made available after x number of years, it's so hockey-entertaining for the summer!

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
I wouldnt necessarily be an advocate of selecting Fucale with our first round pick. Sure he looks pretty good, and sure we are really hurting for goalies in our system, but we need talent up front. We desperately need a power forward winger. Id rather select a goalie with one of our seconds, or thirds.

I'm very thankful that the deal didnt go through with the Fleury pick, as well as the supposed deal for Lecavalier at the draft a few years ago.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Bob wanted the 1st overall player. Bash him! The fact he didn't pay the price says something no?

The only thing that saved most of his terrible trades is other teams backing out. The man is so unbelievably stupid we could have traded for Fleury, Lecavalier and Gomez. Could you imagine the horrendous mark that guy would have left on this franchise if not for sheer dumb luck?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The only thing that saved most of his terrible trades is other teams backing out. The man is so unbelievably stupid we could have traded for Fleury, Lecavalier and Gomez. Could you imagine the horrendous mark that guy would have left on this franchise if not for sheer dumb luck?

Don't forget the following:

1) he offered Daniel briere an 8 year and 50 million dollar contract.
2) he offered something similar to Ryan smythe.
3) he wanted to keep komisarek and Kovalev in 2009.
4) he was willing to give up plekanec for Kovalev.
5) hainsey and beauchenin lost to... Waivers.
6) he only lucked into his best UFA signing (Hamrlik) because sourray turned him down.

On the other hand, he offered digging, grabosky, and a 1st (????) for Hossa in 2008, which was our year, but the idiot GM in Atlanta turned him down, to take a happy offer from Pittsburgh.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Thanks man. Yeah...minimum of 4 weeks but in this industry...you never know, could be much longer though I won't wait that long...Teams could now hire me as scout any day now....I am available....;)
Sorry to hear. But sit back and enjoy some time off while you have it.

And the good news is, it comes at the right time. As long as you're okay financially then you should take the summer off man. Getting to enjoy July and August free from work is a good time. I've had it happen to me before and the summer time is the best time to become a 'free agent' so take advantage.

Saintpatrick*

For the record, the only people to blame for Patrick Roy, who was our FRANCHISE FRENCH goaltender and won us not 1, but 2 SCs, was Corey, Houle, and Tremblay.

Corey is an idiot for bringing Houle in, who subsequently brought in Tremblay. Had Corey at the time of this issue, said to Houle "You fire Tremblay right now, or you're done." instead of "Okay, trade him. But don't make sure you can get good value in return. You don't have to suspend him and not pay him for not playing."

Like talk about "BAD MANAGEMENT". These guys were terrible. Gainey was a walk in the park compared to Houle.

Umm no. Burke's "additions" of Seguin and Hamilton, only Seguin really helped the team, and that was marginal in the entire run to the SCF. Don't discredit Chia for making an unbelievable team, trading for Rask, Horton, Seidenberg, Ference (i think), Jagr and signing Chara. Draftinig Marchand, Lucic, etc.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head about Patrick Roy. Yes you're right that Gainey was a walk in the park compare to Houle, Corey and Tremblay era. But Gainey really was horrible as well. The sheer amount of players he let walk for nothing is staggering as well as his trade record. Nothing compared to Houle mind you who made some of the worst trades in franchise history but pretty bad none the less.

How this storied franchise could have such unbelievably incompetent management for so long just boggles my mind. I think it all stems from the language issue and if this organization was able to hire the best people for the job and not just the best francophone we would have had a Stanley cup celebration by now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad