Bob Gainey attempted to trade up at '03 Draft to select Marc-Andre Fleury

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
And assuming our record and future draft positions remained the same (doubtful but for the sake of argument) we almost certainly would have drafted Marc Staal in '05 instead of Price.

So...M. Staal & Fleury or A. Kostitsyn & Price? :naughty:

Let's take it a step further and imagine we would have had to give both our 2nds that year to get #1 overall...it would be more like M. Staal & Fleury vs. A. Kostitsyn, Urquhart, Lapierre and Price.

Moen is Gone

@MoeninGlory
Feb 13, 2007
Grenoble
twitter.com
Recycling the oldies

bob.gif

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Bob really knew his talent didn't he?

Price is under the Gainey Curse.

Pretty unfair to single out Gainey when virtually everyone thought of Fleury as a franchise goalie.

It would be like the Habs trading up this year to draft MacKinnon or Jones, only to see them bust (not that Fleury's a bust, but you get what I mean). Some things you can't predict.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Pretty unfair to single out Gainey when virtually everyone thought of Fleury as a franchise goalie.

It would be like the Habs trading up this year to draft MacKinnon or Jones, only to see them bust (not that Fleury's a bust, but you get what I mean). Some things you can't predict.

yeah, but it just seems Gainey had the opposite of the Midas Touch. With so many high profile mess ups this just seems to fit the profile.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Fleury was very hyped up at that point. He was looked upon as a franchise goalie almost unanimously.

The only thing I find interesting about this is that Theodore was only 1 year removed from his hart trophy season. Granted, he followed it up with a poor season, but I don't think people were too worried about theodore at that point in time.

Do we know if Gainey was even serious, or was he just going through the obligatory tire kicking process?

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
Jack Bourdain is just staring at this thread motionless right now.

That's all you need to know about how everyone should feel about this news.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Fleury was very hyped up at that point. He was looked upon as a franchise goalie almost unanimously.

The only thing I find interesting about this is that Theodore was only 1 year removed from his hart trophy season. Granted, he followed it up with a poor season, but I don't think people were too worried about theodore at that point in time.

Do we know if Gainey was even serious, or was he just going through the obligatory tire kicking process?

After Fleury and Price is why i don't like taking goalies high in draft.

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
And assuming our record and future draft positions remained the same (doubtful but for the sake of argument) we almost certainly would have drafted Marc Staal in '05 instead of Price.

So...M. Staal & Fleury or A. Kostitsyn & Price? :naughty:

Let's take it a step further and imagine we would have had to give both our 2nds that year to get #1 overall...it would be more like M. Staal & Fleury vs. A. Kostitsyn, Urquhart, Lapierre and Price.
Pretty sure they make a trade to make sure they draft Benoit Pouliot in 2005.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
People in 03 thought Fleury was going to be a franchise goalie, like people in 07 were confused and highly skeptical (and I'm being generous here) of the Subban pick.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
how much has changed in 10 years. can you believe that the price to move up from #3 to #1 was pending UFA Mikael Samuelsson and a swap of 55th overall for 73rd overall? try bringing that kind of proposal to the trade boards today:

COL trades 1st OV and 3rd round pick for say 2nd OV, a 2nd round pick and someone like Jack Skille...

theOutsider

Jun 18, 2012
If you had posted the exact same thing four years ago when the Pens won the cup, everyone would be wondering why Gainey didn't do the deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad