News Article: Bob Cole's final call to be season finale between Toronto and Montreal

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
with montreal needing a point (or win) to secure the 2nd wild card spot and leafs absolutely crushing them in regulation

Ohhhhh babyyyyyyy!!!!

:yo:

The Islanders caught a break when the Devils rested ironman goalie Martin Brodeur, 6-1 against the Islanders with three shutouts this season. Scott Clemmensen got the call, making only his fourth start of the season.

We all remember don't we?

I'd still like payback, and if the Leafs have nothing to play for ... Sparks in net ... if it's between Canadiens and Devils for the final WC.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
We all remember don't we?

I'd still like payback, and if the Leafs have nothing to play for ... Sparks in net ... if it's between Canadiens and Devils for the final WC.

That won't be enough, rest the big 5 too. Pull the goalie in a tie game.

I'll start a go fund me to pay whatever fine the NHL gives them

Jackson14

Feb 23, 2013
2 things. Love Clark’s slash and hook at the 47 second mark, and secondly, for all the Cole haters, imagine this clip with Hughsons voice hahahha
BOB COLE FOREVER

Yeah for real. It's apparent Bob Cole is nostagila for many of us but for anyone who is too young, or didn't watch the Leafs back then, does that play-by-play not wipe the floor with most of what we get these days? Would be neat get the opinion of those who never really heard him.

I don't mind Hughson FWIW but Bob Cole he is not.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Absolute legend. His job was to call the game and he did it in a terrific way with a genuine excitement for the game, which I just don't sense from too many current play by play voices.

Reactions: Loosie

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
You must be a riot at retirement parties.

Not a fan of them. I think I’ve put in a token appearance at a couple.

Also, not a fan of funerals. If you want to say something nice about someone, say it when they’re alive and can appreciate it.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Career accolades well earned.

It will be an honour to him calling this last game.

It’s like he’s part of my family with all the time we spent listening to him across generations.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I'm certainly in the camp that thinks Cole probably should have retired a long time ago, but this is the right way to end his career. Looking forward to it.

Reactions: Al14

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It hits you after a while all the great voices you heard growing up watching hockey. Gallivan, Hewitt, Howie Meeker, McFarlane, Hodge and so many more. I held on to Bob Cole and I would shudder when so many of the young fans on here would not be so kind in their statements. I will hold all these men with the fondest of memories, including Don Cherry. Hockey will never be the same, to me this was the golden age of hockey.

I think the reason these guys were so great is because we didn’t hear or see them everyday. Once per week we were blessed to watch them on TV, with no rants on social media etc.
I grew up hating the Habs but Dick Irvin and Danny Gallivan hold a special place in my memory bank.
And Cole, absolutely the best.

Reactions: daveleaf and Lauro

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I think the reason these guys were so great is because we didn’t hear or see them everyday. Once per week we were blessed to watch them on TV, with no rants on social media etc.
I grew up hating the Habs but Dick Irvin and Danny Gallivan hold a special place in my memory bank.
And Cole, absolutely the best.

I could sit an listen to Dick Irvin's stories about his dad and the Habs all day. Just another wonderful voice.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
I hope Bobcat does the same thing on that day.
McCowan (pause) is (pause) the (pause) definition (pause) of (pause) Sports (pause) Radio
The Bob named Bobcat and the Bob named Cole are true pros with thoughtful things to say
Cole's moment in the sun is fading away but McCowan keeps information and entertainment in proper ratio

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Well done Bobby. I can't wait to shake your hand, wish you all the best and buy you a cold one. Gramps here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad