News Article: Bob Cole's final call to be season finale between Toronto and Montreal

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Really glad he's getting a few more games calling the Leafs.

Even a few years ago I thought he was kind of getting up there and the odd time seemed a little shaky.

Then I hear guys who are much younger and supposedly in their primes... completely screwing up... so the grass isn't always green on the other side.

It'll be great to hear Bob a few more times. He truly is a legend whether you like him or not... doing 50 years of anything continuously at a high standard is a feat.

Reactions: Al14 and slozo

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I hate these drawn out good-bye things. They should've just announced that he was done at the end of last year, done a half hour tribute or something (outside the HNIC time slot) and moved on.

Tavares2Matthews

Mar 1, 2008
The amount of times Bob Cole gave us fans goosebumps is off the charts. He's going to be missed so much. Feel very lucky we're one of the teams he's calling in his final game.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
What an odd thing to hate. That is not how you pay tribute to a 50-year career, with 30 minutes.

He's calling 10 games this year, ffs. It's not a lot.

It's actually 16 games now.

Well, I'm not one for tributes and that anyway. He got his salary for the job he did -- no need for anything more.

Jackson14

Feb 23, 2013
It's actually 16 games now.

Well, I'm not one for tributes and that anyway. He got his salary for the job he did -- no need for anything more.

Who cares? Someone has to call the games, why not Bob Cole?

I'm looking forward to hearing him call a few Leafs games again. Looks like he is calling Rangers-Leafs Dec 22.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
Glad they did this, at the very least.

So many memories for Leafs fans with his voice calling the play. Would be nice if he did every Saturday night Leafs game from here on in, but it’s Sportsnet, so I get it.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Great news. I thought he'd be done calling Leafs games. Nice to see him put his differences aside and call 3 games for his 50th year. Oh baby, I can't wait.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
It's unfortunate there is no one coming up the pipeline in the broadcast booth that these next couple of generations can latch on to like many of us did with Cole. That's what's making his departure even more glaring.

Reactions: OddyOh

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
Nice! Gonna make the game on the 22nd even that much better. That's the first day of my Xmas vacation - looking forward to it even more now.

The majority of what I consider to be classic hockey moments in my lifetime were called by Bob. He called Leafs games under Burns and Quinn, which for someone my age (mid-30s) are the two golden periods of Leafs hockey. Unfortunately I don't think the golden period we're entering will have nearly as good play-by-play announcer.

I echo the sentiments about bringing Neale back for these games.

Reactions: Loosie

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Now that is incredible. That’s the hockey I would get excited about.

Maybe it’s because of age but I don’t get excited like that for hockey anymore.

I've thought the same, but nothing gets the juices flowing again like Maple Leafs playoff hockey. It's just been way too long, save for the sprinkling of first round exits, that we forget how to get completely immersed into it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad