Confirmed with Link: Bob Boughner has been fired as Head Coach, Paul McFarland as well

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Man.. I loved when GG got hella animated.

I'm ready for this

giphy.gif

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
This falls on the coach. It's not just bad luck when the whole D core is underperforming. The high risk system ultimately wasn't a fit for these guys.

But you’re drawing conclusions if you think they’re just underperforming. It could be that they just flat out suck.

Ekblad underperformed and Matheson underperformed. The rest kind of just suck.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
While true, we did see Matheson look his best (small sample size) when the system was more conservative.

Not just in the playoffs, but his call up at the time too.
Or that’s an anomaly

A lot of his issues are unforced errors, agnostic of system

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
What if the d core sucks and after yandle and Ekblad there’s a huge drop off in talent and reliable play
But you’re drawing conclusions if you think they’re just underperforming. It could be that they just flat out suck.

Ekblad underperformed and Matheson underperformed. The rest kind of just suck.

Again GG had a worse D core (supposedly) and they were far less mistake prone. I'm willing to bet that they'll be significantly better under coach Q.

And it's not even necessarily that Boughner's system is bad but it just wasn't a fit here. His biggest mistakes were not realizing it or making changes. That and not holding someone like Matheson responsible at all for his play.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Or that’s an anomaly

A lot of his issues are unforced errors, agnostic of system

I guess we shall see.

I mean, if a defenseman isnt good at making that first stretch pass he will fail here. But if the style was conservative (glass out, 5 man breakout etc), it is 'easier' to play.

Defensive positioning too. If you are asked to be me conservative, it is 'easier' to get in position.

And no, Not the Rowe zone either lol.

Reactions: RainingRats

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Again GG had a worse D core (supposedly) and they were far less mistake prone. I willing to bet that they'll be significantly better under coach Q.

And it's not even necessarily that Boughner's system is bad but it just wasn't a fit here. What really made him a bad coach was not realizing it or making changes. That had not holding someone like Matheson responsible at all for his play.
That d core had a higher floor, lower ceiling. It was a lower risk d core without much upside. Whereas this group has high upside and a low low floor, imo

And I agree he should have scratched Matheson about 10x than he did. Removing him from the lineup is an improvement

Unfortunately there is no top 4 guys or potential top 4 guys. Plus math has a huge contract. I’d blame tallon for that

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
That d core had a higher floor, lower ceiling. It was a lower risk d core without much upside. Whereas this group has high upside and a low low floor, imo

And I agree he should have scratched Matheson about 10x than he did. Removing him from the lineup is an improvement

Unfortunately there is no top 4 guys or potential top 4 guys. Plus math has a huge contract. I’d blame tallon for that

Duncan Keith :naughty:

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
To say a thing like that, Tallon must has his man already and it's a done deal.
Who else with "Stanley Cup Pedigree" is available??

...what's Larry Robinson doing if Q for some god awful reason doesn't come on down?

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle

They have to make Math work I agree but it was just pure dumb this season with him. He would've arguably benefited from sitting rather than playing like a zombie out there.

This core does have a lot more upside but maybe the system was too complex for it. It's not a great defense that's true and maybe Boughner's system would fit well with a d core like the one Carolina has.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
I like Bob Boughner and wish him well, as long as he doesn't get another head coaching gig in the Eastern Conference. I don't think this season's disappointment was all his fault. McFarland seems like a promising young coach. Best of luck to him, too.

With that said, I think this move was necessary at this time. When it's not working and fans are getting extremely frustrated, and the coach is at least part of the problem, you just have to pull the trigger out of sheer necessity. And while goaltending was certainly a huge issue this season, Boughner and Capuano really did a poor job of trying to put the defense in good spots.

Remember when they put Petrovic and Matheson out there together and those two gave up like three goals in the span of five minutes for a total third period choke job? Everyone here on the board, as soon as the pairings were announced, said "Oh man, that's gonna be a disaster." And it was a disaster. Guys who are being paid seven figures on a contract should be able to figure that out, too.

What a disappointing season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad