Bo 'Saviour, Hero, God' Horvat Discussion - Part V (MOD WARNING POST 537)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
I am glad the argument has finally become how dominant a 2c/1c he will be, all the debate in October about if his ceiling was 2c was so painful

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
If he continues on the pace he's on since the All-star break till the end of the season.

It would mean in the remaining 16 games he'd score 6 goals and have 3 assists for 9 points.

He would end the season with 17 goals 12 assists good for 29 points in 68 games.

I'd be extremely happy if he ended the season with that

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Bo's on-ice SH% is still at like 13%. That's not really sustainable for anyone either. It probably comes down to about 8-9%.

Not sure where you're getting 13% from; his on-ice shooting percentage is 9.88%.

His personal shooting percentage is quite high, but he also has the 2nd lowest average shot distance in the NHL among the 642 guys with 20+ GP. I'm inclined to think that he could easily throw more pucks at the net without improving his possession game which would bring his percentages down while maintaining his production.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
If he continues on the pace he's on since the All-star break till the end of the season.

It would mean in the remaining 16 games he'd score 6 goals and have 3 assists for 9 points.

He would end the season with 17 goals 12 assists good for 29 points in 68 games.

I'd be extremely happy if he ended the season with that

That's a 20 goal pace over a full season, which would be flat-out incredible for Horvat.

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
A 15-17 SH% still isn't sustainable for anyone really. Over the last 3 seasons at all situations with players >2000 minutes played (for solid sample) the highest personal SH% is Palat at 13%. Stammer is at 12.3%. I don't think Bo will be as prolific a shooter as Stamkos in his career.

Where are you getting that info from? Toews is at 15.3% personal SH% over the last three seasons. Stamkos is at 15.9% from what I can see (over all situations).

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Not sure where you're getting 13% from; his on-ice shooting percentage is 9.88%.

His personal shooting percentage is quite high, but he also has the 2nd lowest average shot distance in the NHL among the 642 guys with 20+ GP. I'm inclined to think that he could easily throw more pucks at the net without improving his possession game which would bring his percentages down while maintaining his production.

basically any player can do that but they probably won't as its not a very good way to play hockey

Where are you getting that info from? Toews is at 15.3% personal SH% over the last three seasons. Stamkos is at 15.9% from what I can see (over all situations).

because it is usually higher, power play sh% is irrelevant for the repeatability of 5v5 sh%

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Lucic is a better comparable in terms of shooting, in my opinion. He's also a guy with good hands around the net who jumps on rebounds and doesn't take a lot of shots. He's a low-volume, high % shooter. He's shot at 14.6% for his career, has been over 17% three times, and over 15% another time.

Bo's percentages will even out, but he'll also improve as a player and get more good looks (and likely start to take at least a few more low-percentage shots, as opendoor mentioned). Also, if he becomes a capable power play option at some point, his overall production will uptake considerably. He's already giving the team good 5v5 production, even at 19.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
they had willie on the radio today and according to him bo's gained both gained weight and lost bf% in the middle of the season so far this year

what the christ?

Last edited:

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Nutrition.

yes, i'm aware of food eating - i do it every day!

that doesn't mitigate how difficult it is to do something even as simple as put on weight during an nhl season. to do it while losing fat is kind of absurd. plenty of educated and hard working people can barely manage both with a sedentary workload. between you and me, i think an nhl player's workload is more active than that

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
yes, i'm aware of food eating - i do it every day!

that doesn't mitigate how difficult it is to do something even as simple as put on weight during an nhl season. to do it while losing fat is kind of absurd. plenty of educated and hard working people can barely manage both with a sedentary workload. between you and me, i think an nhl player's workload is more active than that

It's called a recomp diet. I work with athletes all the time building the plans. When done by a competent sports nutritionist it's actually the most effective way to add lean muscle mass without going through old school off season bulks and cuts.

They eat a 15-20% overage on active days and a 10-15% deficit on rest days (dependent on their weight). It's a slow process but the end result is a slight overage during activity that allows muscle tears to heal faster to make larger muscle mass.

Sedentary people generally don't focus on the types of food they eat or cycling (not bike) to get the same result. Most people just cut calories to lose fat but you can't gain muscle without an overage. Not to mention in order for it to work effectively you have to be in peak physical condition.

Over the last 18 months I gained 12lbs of muscle, dropped my BF% from 22 to 18% and lost 2 dress sizes.

#science

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
ya. again - that doesn't diminish how hard it is to do the thing he's doing. there's a reason most nhl players don't do the thing, because its difficult

if it was as simple as a catch all diet for every nhler to do that, linden vey and chris tanev would be heavier and stronger. bo's clearly got the right mindset and genetics and thats what im marveling at

like you still have to eat the food and do the work and survive the recovery and none of those things are easy at the levels they're doing them at

Over the last 18 months I gained 12lbs of muscle, dropped my BF% from 22 to 18% and lost 2 dress sizes.

#science

thats awesome! and i don't want to diminish your success, but i'm going to assume (forgive me if im wrong) that your workload isn't approaching the upper bounds of what a human being can tolerate before their body tells them to go **** themselves

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
ya. again - that doesn't diminish how hard it is to do the thing he's doing. there's a reason most nhl players don't do the thing, because its difficult

if it was as simple as a catch all diet for every nhler to do that, linden vey and chris tanev would be heavier and stronger. bo's clearly got the right mindset and genetics and thats what im marveling at

like you still have to eat the food and do the work and survive the recovery and none of those things are easy at the levels they're doing them at

I'm aware of this as you know, it's my job to advise high level athletes on their nutrition (CHL, NCAA, AHL, I've worked with a few NHLers last summer). Genetics doesn't play as big of a part as you think.

Most NHLers don't do it because a lot of conditioning teams are pretty old school in their theories. It's not a new concept, it's been around for years.

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
they had willie on the radio today and according to him bo's gained both gained weight and lost bf% in the middle of the season so far this year

what the christ?

Heard a rumor that he can turn water to wine and all that jazz (e5).

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
I'm aware of this as you know, it's my job to advise high level athletes on their nutrition (CHL, NCAA, AHL, I've worked with a few NHLers last summer). Genetics doesn't play as big of a part as you think.

Most NHLers don't do it because a lot of conditioning teams are pretty old school in their theories. It's not a new concept, it's been around for years.

genetics plays a huge issue when it comes to this level. any time you're talking about the top 1000 in the world at an athletic thing, genetics is a massive component

anyways, i don't get what you're getting at - you clearly know things - are you disagreeing with me that its impressive that bo, in the middle of an nhl season where he is getting considerable playing time, is doing this? until high-end nutrition is reduced to intravenous supply it's still a lot of food and a lot of work to do this

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
genetics plays a huge issue when it comes to this level. any time you're talking about the top 1000 in the world at an athletic thing, genetics is a massive component

anyways, i don't get what you're getting at - you clearly know things - are you disagreeing with me that its impressive that bo, in the middle of an nhl season where he is getting considerable playing time, is doing this? until high-end nutrition is reduced to intravenous supply it's still a lot of food and a lot of work to do this

It's impressive for sure, I was just pointing out that it's not that unheard of, especially in the younger athletes who come from progressively minded CHL teams like London, Calgary, Vancouver and SSM.

Virts has also put on weight with a slight drop in body fat.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
God saviour hero all work but i think what it will come down to is.

Bo "god emporer of mankind" Horvat or

Bo the conqueror

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
It's impressive for sure, I was just pointing out that it's not that unheard of, especially in the younger athletes who come from progressively minded CHL teams like London, Calgary, Vancouver and SSM.

Virts has also put on weight with a slight drop in body fat.

pfft, virtanen isn't even playing much hockey, he's like on the 4th line or whatever :sarcasm:

unironically, virtanen is playing jr and horvat is playing pro. as much as i dont like to subscribe to narratives like that, i'm more impressed that guy whos doing his First Big Year has the mental and emotional wherewithal to accomplish this on top of everything else he's done so far and used a bit of hyperbole to express it

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
pfft, virtanen isn't even playing much hockey, he's like on the 4th line or whatever :sarcasm:

unironically, virtanen is playing jr and horvat is playing pro. as much as i dont like to subscribe to narratives like that, i'm more impressed that guy whos doing his First Big Year has the mental and emotional wherewithal to accomplish this on top of everything else he's done so far and used a bit of hyperbole to express it

His mental commitment is certainly commendable, especially as a 19 year old. I can't speak on anything else but the nutrition thing but I guess the best analogy would be that junior teams who do spend more money and time on off ice conditioning (workouts and nutrition) a basically putting training wheels on the kids. They do it for 3 years and by the time they make a team in the bigger leagues they're ready to ride on their own, provided they have the commitment to do so.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
assuming the kids have the work ethic to follow through. honestly this kind of thing speaks more volumes about Professionalism and whatnot or whatever to me than a million hockey sticks to little kids or whatever people like to home in on

anyways its a thing about horvat i'm impressed with because i know how hard that level of energy and dedication is to maintain. i think it ties into his pretty incredible transformation on his foot speed pretty well. good work guy

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
assuming the kids have the work ethic to follow through. honestly this kind of thing speaks more volumes about Professionalism and whatnot or whatever to me than a million hockey sticks to little kids or whatever people like to home in on

anyways its a thing about horvat i'm impressed with because i know how hard that level of energy and dedication is to maintain. i think it ties into his pretty incredible transformation on his foot speed pretty well. good work guy

Yes, it is insanely commendable that a 19 year old has more of a commitment to his off ice training than a large majority of NHL vets. His work ethic is incredibly impressive.

You're not wrong at all, I agree with most of your points. I just thought I'd lend some insight into the world of conditioning since most people aren't very familiar with modern conditioning and nutrition.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
it would be great if other players were able to follow bo's nutrition and workout habits. it would do wonders for someone like vey

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
vey might do it and just not take as well. some people are going to reach the upper limits of their recovery and food intake before they can get to the point where they can put on significant weight during a season. bodies do have a max food allowed before accelerated death number

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad