Value of: Bo Horvat

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
Lol yeah, I'm sure Horvat is the first guy we need to move.

As for Gaudette, don't get me wrong I love Gauds. But his play over the last few games has been pretty darn atrocious and he's still pretty bad in the dot. If you think he would just step in and easily replace Bo you've got another thing coming.

Reactions: Metal Tattooist 71

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
What a dumb "value" thread. You trade Horvat - then you immediately need a new Horvat. Gaudette isn't going to be a guy you stick a C on. Probably not Pettersson or Hughes either right now. Perhaps after some time, but currently, no - you keep Horvat at all costs. He is there to teach your younger dudes.

Reactions: bh53

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
If you want to make a thread about trading a more veteran player for a rising prospect that is fine, it happens. But let's not make it about Horvat failing as a captain (which he hasn't).

In this case, I can't see the trade making us any better, we'd be better off trading Gaudette for a good young defenseman if we wanted to go that route. With that being said I don't think we're in a position to trade either at this point. We don't have the cap space to sign a good 3C through free agency, yet we can likely get Gaudette signed for well below market value.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
How about instead of trading one of our best players we actually get him some half decent linenmates? Who is Horvat’s best consistent linemate he’s had throughout his career? It’s probably Tanner Pearson who is fine, a good middle six winger, but Horvat is always given the short end of the stick as far as linemates go. Why has Loui Eriksson been on his RW all year, for example?

And to the guy who thinks Gaudette is better... gtfo. Gaudette plays the easiest minutes on the team while Horvat plays the most difficult and is still significantly more productive and better at driving play.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
How about instead of trading one of our best players we actually get him some half decent linenmates? Who is Horvat’s best consistent linemate he’s had throughout his career? It’s probably Tanner Pearson who is fine, a good middle six winger, but Horvat is always given the short end of the stick as far as linemates go. Why has Loui Eriksson been on his RW all year, for example?

And to the guy who thinks Gaudette is better... gtfo. Gaudette plays the easiest minutes on the team while Horvat plays the most difficult and is still significantly more productive and better at driving play.

First of all literally no one thinks Gaudette is better - learn to read. The point is that Gaudette is more suited to a sheltered 2nd line role, in such a scenario the team would need to acquire a defensively competent 3rd line C.

I don't think Horvat is one of our best players and I'm not sure why so many get into hysterics at the very idea of trading him. The only untouchables on this team are Hughes and Petterson, if a trade makes the team better you make it. You can't get so emotionally attached to players that you can't handle a simple value thread.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Just wondering what other teams would offer for Horvat? He was given the captaincy far too prematurely and has failed in that role. Adam Gaudette is knocking on the door and would be better in a 2nd line C role as opposed to where he is currently slotted.

What would other fans offer? I think Van needs a very good LD and/or a good 3rd line C to replace Gaudette's spot if he is bumped up.

-Horvat has done a good job in his first year as a captain. No complaints whatsoever.
-Gaudette isn't anywhere near the player Horvat is, not even close on really any part of the ice.

Absolutely no way the Canucks deal Horvat.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
In a separate thread he called him a marginally better David Legwand

That comparison really seems to have bothered you. It’s a reasonable one, Legwand was a fine and serviceable 2nd like centre FITB many years.

I reaalllly should’ve tried to limit this to non Canuck fans.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
That comparison really seems to have bothered you. It’s a reasonable one, Legwand was a fine and serviceable 2nd like centre FITB many years.

I'm a Sens fan and comparing Legwand to Horvat doesn't seem fair to Bo.

I wouldn't really know where to start for a deal because the premise on which you're asking for value also seems reactionary. He was just named captain at the start of the year, it's a bit harsh to say he's failed.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Sure, perhaps failed is a bit harsh and if posters are getting stuck on that let’s replace it with he hasn’t really grown into the role as the organization hoped he would.

In terms of value - the Henrique for Vats deal is probably a reasonable starting point. I’d be looking for a top pairing defensive LD which would really improve the defence imo.

Last edited:

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
First of all literally no one thinks Gaudette is better - learn to read. The point is that Gaudette is more suited to a sheltered 2nd line role, in such a scenario the team would need to acquire a defensively competent 3rd line C.

I don't think Horvat is one of our best players and I'm not sure why so many get into hysterics at the very idea of trading him. The only untouchables on this team are Hughes and Petterson, if a trade makes the team better you make it. You can't get so emotionally attached to players that you can't handle a simple value thread.

If Gaudette needs to be sheltered, don't think he deserve in the top 6. Depending on what your definition of "one of the best player is ) in no order Miller Petey Hughes and Markstrom has been better. Horvat has been the 5th best player on the team.

In term of linemates Horvat plays with Eriksson and Pearson for the most part. Gaudette plays with Virtanen and Rousell. There is really not much of difference in terms of linemates.

Most of the game is 5 on 5? Gaudette is the third line center, right now he is not producing like a high end third line center 5 on 5 and that is with easy mins and a lot ozone starts. What makes you think Gaudette can handle the second line center spot?

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle

It bothers me because it's a lazy comparison. Legwand was a 40-45 point guy that was below average in the faceoff circle. That's not a reasonable comparison to Horvat. It's a reasonable comparison for Gaudette maybe

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
It bothers me because it's a lazy comparison. Legwand was a 40-45 point guy that was below average in the faceoff circle. That's not a reasonable comparison to Horvat. It's a reasonable comparison for Gaudette maybe

Uh what? For their first 6 seasons here their ppg

Legwand: 0.39, 0.5, 0.47, 0.75, 0.57, 0.59 and followed that with 0.8ppg (that was his career high of 63 points) in his 7th season.

Horvat: 0.41, 0.48, 0.64, 0.68, 0.74, 0.76.

It's not a lazy comparison at all, Horvat (minus the faceoffs, which are overrated) reminds me of Legwand. There's nothing wrong with that whatsoever. As I said I do view Horvat as better and Legwand was a perfectly serviceable 2nd line C for many years. Horvat bests Legwand's absolute totals as he's been healthier.

If that comparison bothers I would suggest you are not looking at Horvat objectively.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal

Legwand: 0.39, 0.5, 0.47, 0.75, 0.57, 0.59 and followed that with 0.8ppg (that was his career high of 63 points) in his 7th season.

It's not a lazy comparison at all, Horvat (minus the faceoffs, which are overrated) reminds me of Legwand. There's nothing wrong with that whatsoever. As I said I do view Horvat as better and Legwand was a perfectly serviceable 2nd line C for many years. Horvat bests Legwand's absolute totals as he's been healthier.

If that comparison bothers I would suggest you are not looking at Horvat objectively.
Horvat’s PPG grows every year. Legwand had one good year at 0.75 PPG. There is no question Horvat is a better player than peak Legwand.

Last edited:

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Horvat’s PPG grows every year. Legwand had one good year at 0.75 PPG. There is question Horvat is a better player than peak Legwand.

In 06/07 Legwand had 63 points in 78 games played, for 0.80ppg which is higher than any year of Horvat's thus far. Horvat may reach or he may not (probably, but nothing is certain).

Horvat definitely takes it in terms of faceoffs and I'd probably say they are about equal defensively.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016

Isn't today's game all about puck possession?

Fastest and most efficient way I can think of to gain possession of the puck is to win a faceoff, no?

That's not overrated. As an Oilers fan I think Vancouver would be out of their minds to trade him. The guy is everything you want in a captain. Absolutely love the player.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

You do realize our second line isn't taking sheltered minutes but is actually deployed defensively, yes? That's one of the reasons Horvat isn't producing as much as his skill suggests he could. He's getting extremely tough minutes while getting partnered with fodder like Eriksson. You put Gaudette in that role and teams giggle.

Horvat is easily untouchable. We have no one remotely close to his skill set.

Sure, perhaps failed is a bit harsh and if posters are getting stuck on that let’s replace it with he hasn’t really grown into the role as the organization hoped he would.

In terms of value - the Henrique for Vats deal is probably a reasonable starting point. I’d be looking for a top pairing defensive LD which would really improve the defence imo.

Now we have a giant hole down the middle. And no defensive center to accommodate it. So we've accomplished precisely nothing. In fact, we'd be even worse since least Markstrom can cover for a lapse in defense.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
You do realize our second line isn't taking sheltered minutes but is actually deployed defensively, yes? That's one of the reasons Horvat isn't producing as much as his skill suggests he could. He's getting extremely tough minutes while getting partnered with fodder like Eriksson. You put Gaudette in that role and teams giggle.

Horvat is easily untouchable. We have no one remotely close to his skill set.

And you realize with a defensively sound matchup 3rd line C the deployment would be vastly different? Gaudette would still be sheltered. The idea would not be to simply replace Horvat with Gaudette. Actually funnily enough Eriksson is actually helping him handle those tough minutes, as the recent Dayal article indicates. Horvat is most certainly not untouchable...you can't refuse to explore trade options simply because you like the guy.

Now we have a giant hole down the middle. And no defensive center to accommodate it. So we've accomplished precisely nothing. In fact, we'd be even worse since least Markstrom can cover for a lapse in defense.

Did you even read what you quoted? I specifically stated the team would have to acquire a good defensive 3rd line C in such a scenario.

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
Well beaten to death but obviously Canucks don't trade Horvat. However as I hate offering up only negatives to a question asked IF Benning got coked up, real emotional about the owner telling him to win a cup or face firing, and followed it with a Sudafed sundae......you would have to imagine Horvat +++ for Eichel type thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad