Bo_Horvat_Vancouver_Canucks_center_road_trip.jpg

connor-and-bo.jpg

Bo-Horvat.jpg

9746157-nhl-vancouver-canucks-at-carolina-hurricanes.jpeg

9682692-nhl-washington-capitals-at-vancouver-canucks.jpeg

9776659-nhl-columbus-blue-jackets-at-vancouver-canucks.jpeg

9900966-nhl-san-jose-sharks-at-vancouver-canucks.jpeg

usa-today-8903514.0.jpg

grosenick-troy-san-jose-sharks-vs-vancouver-canucks-hockeyville-2015-c2a9kevinlightphoto-_31q7325.jpg

C1MlXZeVEAA9_bO.jpg

624271152.jpg

usa_today_9890784.0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Tanks for the photos of our next captain.

I gotta say that I am a big fan of Anne-Marie Sorvin's pictures.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
What's the ceiling on Bo Horvat? Is Bo a legit C1? I can definitely see it... I hope he can become a Patrice Bergeron tbh.

Is it just me or Boeser + Bo have natural chemistry together? They look really good together & Bo finally getting some real wingers to play with (instead of Dorsett - okay, that was a long time ago =P)

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
What's the ceiling on Bo Horvat? Is Bo a legit C1? I can definitely see it... I hope he can become a Patrice Bergeron tbh.
The stats guys would tell you that Bo's defense has actually been quite unimpressive, and this may be a case where his early reputation is still greatly coloring how we see what he does as a budding star player.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver

Is it just me or Boeser + Bo have natural chemistry together? They look really good together & Bo finally getting some real wingers to play with (instead of Dorsett - okay, that was a long time ago =P)

They are both smart , hardworking and mature people. Players like that figure it out . Gonna be a pleasure to watch both of these guys fir the next 10 plus years here

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site

Over the past 3 seasons, only 18, 19, and then 17 players have scored 70 points in a season. This year, 20 players have 65 points with about 6-8 games left.

So, if your top scorer is high 60's or more, then your #1 scorer on the 2nd line is probably around 50 points.

That's how I would gauge whether you count Bo as a 1st or 2nd line C.

IMO, ideally, he slots in as a #2, if the Canucks can land either Patrick or Nico in the draft lottery. That would be the perfect setup. If he's your top centre, then you need a really high end #2 centre behind him.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
What do we suppose is his next contract value?

Trying to do some math for next year. If the Canucks can sign him for $4.5-$5m bridge, they can maybe sign a decent UFA. If they sign him to a long-term $6m deal, then the Canucks won't be bringing in any decent UFAs.

I was hoping the Canucks would take a look at Brian Boyle as a guy who can slot in all over the lineup, but he probably comes in at about $3m at this point in his career.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
What do we suppose is his next contract value?

Trying to do some math for next year. If the Canucks can sign him for $4.5-$5m bridge, they can maybe sign a decent UFA. If they sign him to a long-term $6m deal, then the Canucks won't be bringing in any decent UFAs.

I was hoping the Canucks would take a look at Brian Boyle as a guy who can slot in all over the lineup, but he probably comes in at about $3m at this point in his career.

I think they push all in on Bo. 6 year term at over $5 million against the cap. He's not as offensively gifted as barkov, so I doubt he gets $6 million. Think he's better than Rackell, so something in between those two seems fair.

I wouldn't be concerned about adding expensive free agents. Add any cap savings should be from moving vets like Edler, pizza, Sutter, not bringing Miller back, etc. Rather than trying to save money on our RFA guys IMO.

Management is the one who gave Loui his long term big money deal. Fix those bad decisions, not try to nickel and dime the future core.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
I think they push all in on Bo. 6 year term at over $5 million against the cap. He's not as offensively gifted as barkov, so I doubt he gets $6 million. Think he's better than Rackell, so something in between those two seems fair.
That's a fair point.

Somewhere in between Rakell as the low end & Barkov on the higher end is a fair contract for Bo.

member 202355

He needs to work on his two-way game a lot if he wants to become a Patrice Bergeron-like all-around centre.

Offensively, he's already on par with Bergeron which is promising.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
He needs to work on his two-way game a lot if he wants to become a Patrice Bergeron-like all-around centre.

Offensively, he's already on par with Bergeron which is promising.

They do have a similar amount of points this season... but Bergeron is shooting 6.5% -3.4% below his career average. He shot 11.3% on his way to 30+ goals just last season.

Bergeron averages 62 pts and 2.11 P/60 in his career

Bo is on pace for 54 pts and 1.79 P/60 in the best season of his career so far.

---

Can anyone name a player that took a similar development path to Horvat that was worth a long term investment at this point in their career?

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Just wanted to say all the 26-20 year olds who brought the handshake back.

we did it rest in piece high five

BoLIEVE

Feb 26, 2016
They do have a similar amount of points this season... but Bergeron is shooting 6.5% -3.4% below his career average. He shot 11.3% on his way to 30+ goals just last season.

Bergeron averages 62 pts and 2.11 P/60 in his career

Bo is on pace for 54 pts and 1.79 P/60 in the best season of his career so far.

---

Can anyone name a player that took a similar development path to Horvat that was worth a long term investment at this point in their career?

Maybe someone like Scheifele, point wise atleast.

Draft+2
Scheifele: 34pts in 63 game
Bo: 40 in 82.

Draft+3
Scheifele: 49/82
Bo:50/76

Draft+4
Scheifele: 61/71

Draft+5
Scheifele: 78/75

Who knows if Bo can ever become a ppg C, but with the right wingers I think he could definitely hit the 70s

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008

Draft+2

Draft+3

Draft+4

Draft+5

Who knows if Bo can ever become a ppg C, but with the right wingers I think he could definitely hit the 70s
What's Sean Couts look like compared to Bo? He got a fairly long 4+ million contract handed to him. Started 4th line, worked his way up the line up. But I don't think he's really ever gotten 20 mins a night? I could be wrong but G would make sense as the guy who gets the big minutes?
I still think the Canucks drop 42.4 million for 8 years in the kids lap we don't regret it one minute while we have a Tavares like win contract on the team through the prime seasons of Bo Horvat. Lock him at 5.3 until he's 30 we'd easily surround him with wingers

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012

Draft+2

Draft+3

Draft+4

Draft+5

That's a good comparison. I don't know of anyone ever considering Scheifele a bust, but there were always questions about how close to his ceiling he would actually get. And instead of making a huge jump from one year to the next he gradually and consistently got better each season. That is what Bo has done as well, and I have no problem with that.

Or even Galchenyuk:

D+2
27/48 56p pace

D+3
31/65 47p pace

D+4
46/80

D+5
56/82

D+6
42/56 75p pace

BoLIEVE

Feb 26, 2016
What's Sean Couts look like compared to Bo? He got a fairly long 4+ million contract handed to him. Started 4th line, worked his way up the line up. But I don't think he's really ever gotten 20 mins a night? I could be wrong but G would make sense as the guy who gets the big minutes?
I still think the Canucks drop 42.4 million for 8 years in the kids lap we don't regret it one minute while we have a Tavares like win contract on the team through the prime seasons of Bo Horvat. Lock him at 5.3 until he's 30 we'd easily surround him with wingers

I haven't really seen the same offensive game in Couts but he is the better defensive player by a decent margin, he also gets a lot of defensive zone starts. As for TOI, he been averaging over 18 mins a game for the last few year.

Offensively I would take Bo without a doubt, defensively it would have to be Couturier unless Bo can step it up big time defensively. Couturier is 3 years older then Horvat, so time is on Bo's side. Hopefully he can pick up his defensive game a little more, since he was well known for that in juniors.

I would pay Bo up to 6 mill per year for 8 years. He should not be getting as much as someone like Monahan, 6.4mill, who is a proven 30 goal 60 point player. Hopefully we still have a lot to see from Bo. I would happily take anything under $6 mill for him.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Draft+2

Draft+3

Draft+4

Draft+5

Yeah and Scheifele have much better support as well. Wheeler, Ehler, Buff and now Laine.

If Bo can put up 70 points with the crap that is on our roster then he is a legit star in the league.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley

Draft+2

Draft+3

Draft+4

Draft+5

If Bo is going to put up 60+ next season and 70+ the season after, certainly a long term deal now makes sense. I don't see that as very likely, personally.

Bo is more likely to fit in the tier below (or the tier below that) where a bridge deal makes more sense imo.

Last edited:

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I don't think he's got the offensive ceiling of Scheifele, but he's consistently outperformed by expectations so I say lock him up for as long as he'll allow.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I don't think he's got the offensive ceiling of Scheifele, but he's consistently outperformed by expectations so I say lock him up for as long as he'll allow.

Those long term contracts come with significant risk, they only make sense when there is also a significant chance of the player outperforming the contract for multiple years. They should be reserved for players trending toward being elite.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

The only way for him to get to 70 is if he can become a 30+ goal scorer.
So the question is do we think he can improve his shot because he has no problem generating chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad