Player Discussion Bo Horvat | VII | 50 points! al gore celebration.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
If i had to pick bo at 19 or henrik at28 it would be a tough call.

Just makes me dream of horvat when hes 28

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Comparing Bo to Bergeron is apt, but a closer comparison for me is actually Brind A'mour. Bo's game projects to be much more physical than Bergeron's with the Bruin having a leg up on his positioning even in his early days. Of course he's not going to score as much since its not the 90s, but heart and soul Selke type presence is what I can see out of him within 2 years.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Projection this year:
82 games
24 goals
36 assists
60 points
+2
20 PIM

2nd line production

Thats an aggressive prediction.

I think he flirts with 50 points, but ultimately winds up in the 42-46 point territory this year. I can see 20 goals though.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Thats an aggressive prediction.

I think he flirts with 50 points, but ultimately winds up in the 42-46 point territory this year. I can see 20 goals though.

He was flirting with that ratio since January and he looks a lot better today than the playoffs. Plus, I am taking into account that fact he will be the 2nd line center to start, and stay, for the season.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
He was flirting with that ratio since January and he looks a lot better today than the playoffs. Plus, I am taking into account that fact he will be the 2nd line center to start, and stay, for the season.

60 points would put him in the top-50 of point producers in the league last year, and in the top-25 for centers.

Im high on Horvat, but anything over 45 points is a win in my eyes.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
60 points would put him in the top-50 of point producers in the league last year, and in the top-25 for centers.

Im high on Horvat, but anything over 45 points is a win in my eyes.

I'm satisfied if he breaks his previous point totals while providing solid 2-way play. But I do believe Horvat has that potential this year to hit 60.

It's not just his skill, but the opportunity he's given to center a top 6 line and get PP time. That's a significant increase in ice time from last year. He'd likely have a Monahan sophomore season.

I haven't seen a Canuck progress this fast in the last 10 years.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
I'm satisfied if he breaks his previous point totals while providing solid 2-way play. But I do believe Horvat has that potential this year to hit 60.

It's not just his skill, but the opportunity he's given to center a top 6 line and get PP time. That's a significant increase in ice time from last year. He'd likely have a Monahan sophomore season.

I haven't seen a Canuck progress this fast in the last 10 years.

Monahan also played 19:37/game (leading Flames forward), 2:50 powerplay time per game, and shot 16% to reach 60 points.

Horvat would essentially have to beat Henrik Sedin to get that kind of opportunity.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
Point projections are a little off the charts, I don't think some people are really fully aware of just how depressed scoring is across the NHL. We're at the nadir of another dead puck era.

He's a pretty special player though. If he can stick on the 2nd unit all year and get PP time, he could threaten 50 points. Assuming the Canucks aren't a complete tire fire, which...let's be honest...they're one or two key injuries away from definitely being.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Monahan also played 19:37/game (leading Flames forward), 2:50 powerplay time per game, and shot 16% to reach 60 points.

Horvat would essentially have to beat Henrik Sedin to get that kind of opportunity.

I don't think he necessarily has to beat out Sedin. WD employs a more 1-2-3-4 approach and last year Henrik only received 18:37 a game. That TOI is likely going to decrease every year for Henrik.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Point projections are a little off the charts, I don't think some people are really fully aware of just how depressed scoring is across the NHL. We're at the nadir of another dead puck era.

He's a pretty special player though. If he can stick on the 2nd unit all year and get PP time, he could threaten 50 points. Assuming the Canucks aren't a complete tire fire, which...let's be honest...they're one or two key injuries away from definitely being.

50 points is a safe bet for him.

But I think people forget he's going to have Vrbata on his wing now, our MVP and leading goal scorer. That's a pretty huge upgrade from Dorsett and a great opportunity to pad those assist totals.

I'll stick with 60 and we'll revisit this at the end of the year.

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat

According to this, we never really left the dead puck era. I saw a graph somewhere that had total power-play opportunities, and it looked almost identical to the goal scoring chart here(huge increase in 05/06 with a steep decline to recent historical average, then flat lining), so 5v5 scoring never really went up after the lock out, there was just more PP's to score on.

http://www.quanthockey.com/TS/TS_GoalsPerGame.php

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat
I don't think he necessarily has to beat out Sedin. WD employs a more 1-2-3-4 approach and last year Henrik only received 18:37 a game. That TOI is likely going to decrease every year for Henrik.

But there is still no way he get 2:50 PP time. The Canucks as a team bareley get that due to the refs. :sarcasm:

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009

You're saying you think he can have a comparable 2nd season to Monahan, but Monahan was given legitimate #1 center duties. Between Henrik and Sutter (who, lets be honest will likely be gifted some minutes), it is unlikely Horvat even gets close to the responsibility Monahan got.

60 points is setting yourself up for disappointment.

50 points is a safe bet for him.

But I think people forget he's going to have Vrbata on his wing now, our MVP and leading goal scorer. That's a pretty huge upgrade from Dorsett and a great opportunity to pad those assist totals.

I'll stick with 60 and we'll revisit this at the end of the year.

Thats far from a guarantee that hes with Vrbata all year as well (as well, he will likely be traded before the deadline).

How many 2nd line centers in the league hit 60 points?

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
According to this, we never really left the dead puck era. I saw a graph somewhere that had total power-play opportunities, and it looked almost identical to the goal scoring chart here(huge increase in 05/06 with a steep decline to recent historical average, then flat lining), so 5v5 scoring never really went up after the lock out, there was just more PP's to score on.

http://www.quanthockey.com/TS/TS_GoalsPerGame.php

The fans who have been watching since 1917 must be so bored.

How many 2nd line centers in the league hit 60 points?

Approximately 5.

Tyler Johnson
Joe Pavelski/Logan Couture
Evgeni Malkin
Jeff Carter

Not sure if you want to count Monahan/Hudler, since I believe Hudler spent most of the season on the wing. A 60 point season by Horvat last year would've outpaced the likes of Matt Duchene, David Backes, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Eric Staal.

Last edited:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but Botch went into some detail on the Schneider trade discussions with MacTavish back in 2013. He doesn't say this is speculation and it's written as if he has some first-hand insight on the matter, so take it as you will:

BEST PREDICTION

By now, it’s common knowledge the Canucks offered Cory Schneider to the Oil for a package consisting of the seventh overall pick, a second-rounder and Martin Marincin.

For the Canucks, turns out, it wouldn’t have mattered if they had the Oil pick or Lou’s New Jersey one. They were taking Horvat over Nichuskin (and that was the debate, if there was one).

Before the negotiation with MacTavish broke off, however, the Canucks offer came down to No. 7 and Marincin.

Mac-T had to think long and hard over that one.

But he came back to Vancouver and declined, saying:

“My goalie coach says Dubnyk is going to be a star.”

The Gilly response to Mac-T: “You’re going to be firing your goalie coach.”

He was right.
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/1...-guarantee-night-first-game-is-the-best-game/

Sounds like Gillis ASKED for the 7th, 2nd, and Marincin (not Klefblom) and MacT came back with the 7th and a 2nd, before bowing out altogether. Runs contrary to the reports that Gillis was the one that turned down the package of 7th, 2nd, and prospect.

Liked the trade at the time, love it today.

arsmaster*

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but Botch went into some detail on the Schneider trade discussions with MacTavish back in 2013. He doesn't say this is speculation and it's written as if he has some first-hand insight on the matter, so take it as you will:

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/1...-guarantee-night-first-game-is-the-best-game/

Sounds like Gillis ASKED for the 7th, 2nd, and Marincin (not Klefblom) and MacT came back with the 7th and a 2nd, before bowing out altogether. Runs contrary to the reports that Gillis was the one that turned down the package of 7th, 2nd, and prospect.

Liked the trade at the time, love it today.

The only thing is, if Schneider went to Edmonton, they likely wouldn't have got McDavid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad