New York Islanders: Bo Horvat (25% retained) for Aatu Raty, Anthony Beauvillier, and 2023 1st (Top 12 protected)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
The Isles trade for a 27yr old 1st line center, premium player, captain and all the discussion is about the friggin draft pick that went the other way. My lord.
trades don't happen in a vacuum. Horvat is a great player, but I want the isles to win the cup, and I think myself and a few others question if this is the correct trade to have made given our current position in the standings + our current roster.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
It’s the fact that he’s trading from the core that he went to the mat for instead of trading just prospects, draft picks. Lou had to realize there was no more justification for Tito’s 16 minutes a game. Hopefully he does the same with Martin, Cizikas, Bailey (although I think he knew this already), Clutterbuck when he’s healthy again.
Yes, I follow what you’re saying.

Although, I’m not sure I still agree we have a shared agreement on what a retool is. But I’m not looking to start that conversation up anytime soon. :)

I just never thought Lou was as “sold” on this team as much as is made out here. I think he said the usual boilerplate comments about believing in group, competition etc.

But looking back at his “Hockey Trade” comments… leads me to think that he recognized the need to shift some contract glut to fresher players.

Agree that he is not as high on Bailey as some here think. He did leave him unprotected after all. I also don’t think he is so staunch on the fourth line as some here do either.

But, I also think he was caught a little off-guard how the flat-cap and other circumstances lead to an increased bottoming out of player to contract values. In any other year Bailey shouldn’t have required major assets to move his salary. As bad as he is, he is not as bad as Ladd or with a contract as onerous.

CGY and CLB actions after the Gaudreau signing seemed to mess some things up… for the sellers market.

Reactions: SI and MJF

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
As someone who was laid off + unemployed for four months and just went back to working ~45 hours a week + travel, it definitely takes a toll on you. My job is not a cubicle job either...

I am also trying to move to a new state and it's stressful for sure, Horvat won't be getting much sleep for a couple months until his family is settled in.

I don't know what he's going to do, but if he has kids moving their schools in the middle of the year from BC to LI will be tough for that whole family.
a lot of times players will leave their families put especially with half the season over, maybe the wife will join up for a weekend or something. especially given his free agent status, i think it's not uncommon to leave the family behind

not the ideal scenerio but this is one of the reasons the players make the money they do and they pretty much understand the business/logistical part of it or at least they should

trades don't happen in a vacuum. Horvat is a great player, but I want the isles to win the cup, and I think myself and a few others question if this is the correct trade to have made given our current position in the standings + our current roster.
baby steps....if he resigns, it helps going forward, if not, he can be flipped at the deadline and either way, losing Beau and his paycheck is a good thing

Last edited:
Reactions: Thrasymachus

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Retool is the new buzzword since rebuild indicates pure suckage w/o any guaranteed return.

I’d like to see what Lou does next, but I’m right there with the poeple that are seeing this as Lou finding a way in a buyers market to push out what is now dead wood. This is where I think he is headed with Bailey. He’s worked himself off the team. Bailey is essentially the ‘cap swap’ for the deal and a body on the ice.

On the ice, he swapped Beau for Horvat.
I’m also interested in what comes next. If Lou can use Bailey’s contract plus picks/prospects to bring in another premium player I’d be all for that.

I’m not in favor of a rebuild that may or may not work. I am in favor of what many are calling a retooling.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
We know, we know. Unless the Isles are a ‘cup contender’ it’s just more Fail for Nail hamster wheel.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I never said Lehner was connected to gambling.

The obvious connection to me but not to you is the potential for throwing games. Lehner’s circumstances, but not necessarily his own actions, place him in a situation where he might feel the need to compromise his morals.

I don't think multimillionaires had trouble placing wagers even when sports betting wasn't legal, just like I don't think they had an issue getting booze during prohibition.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
We know that this team has recently made it to the conference finals twice. We're also old and our aging core is locked up. If we go into a full rebuild why would Sorokin stick around? We're in win now mode and we have the best team we've had since the early 90's. Rebuilding now would be a huge mistake and so would Lou sitting on his hands doing nothing.

Tom Hardy

Dec 10, 2018
The Islanders will not, let's say, choose to defer their pick.

If it's a top 12 pick BEFORE THE LOTTERY, it stays with the Islanders one way or another, and then Vancouver automatically gets the 2024 1st from the Islanders, which is not protected in any manner.
With Bo, although obviously I don't know the future. I expect the Isles will make the playoffs and get about the 18th pick. So I think the Canucks will get that pick.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
We know that this team has recently made it to the conference finals twice. We're also old and our aging core is locked up. If we go into a full rebuild why would Sorokin stick around? We're in win now mode and we have the best team we've had since the early 90's. Rebuilding now would be a huge mistake and so would Lou sitting on his hands doing nothing.
i might say that it wasn't this team but a 2-3 year younger team that made that run with some different components....i love the Horvat move and applaud Lou for doing something but that near glory from Covid Cup is far enough in the rearview now

Reactions: IslesNbeer

CBG

Jan 7, 2018
IF Lou is done dealing or Bo is not signed long term the trade makes no sense. Great trade if Lou can lock him up. That said this team as constructed is not going to go far in the playoffs IF they even make the playoffs. Bo Horvat IMO is a great addition and a nice start but this team needs more and Lou needs to go get it.

Reactions: Mike C

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I mean it wouldn’t be that much worse, he hasn’t really been that great. I was quite excited that we got him but he’s been disappointing so far. And having a younger forward core of Barzal/Horvat/Dach is better than just Barzal himself.
Sounds like Dach had been just as disappointing as Romanov, depending on how you think young players should be.

Rybo

Dec 27, 2022
New Jersey
glad to here that bo....that being the case, please sign here..................
Islanders definitely have the inside track since hes happy and free of all the Vancouver drama so he should form a tight bond with the Isles locker room!

Reactions: Mike C

Suffolkbull3

Apr 27, 2016
i really hope bo signs, would lou really make this deal if he really had no idea if bo would sign an extension or not? im not sure he would unless he hedged himself by thinking well he can be flipped at the tdl. i really hope he did this deal knowing bo would sign here.

so many are doom and gloom here, the isles get a premier 1st line all star premier player and captain and yet people here only see the negatives in this deal. for me i say bye beau, raty, and hello bo..isles are cringeworthy on faceoffs, bo helps big time, isles have been horrid on pp, bo should help big time… i think he signs here, and we are a couple
to a few players to reach the finals.

the problem i see is that the players are not playing up to their potential and for that i blame the coach, the team does not play a full 3 periods, for that i blame the coach, the team rarely squandered leads with trotz and yet it seems now thats all they do, i blame that on the coach as well. its a coaches job to get his players to play up to their potential and to give it all they got. that just isnt happening from what i been seeing.

in closing, i hope bo signs, the isles make the playoffs, and once again go on a big run. LGI

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
i really hope bo signs, would lou really make this deal if he really had no idea if bo would sign an extension or not? im not sure he would unless he hedged himself by thinking well he can be flipped at the tdl. i really hope he did this deal knowing bo would sign here.

so many are doom and gloom here, the isles get a premier 1st line all star premier player and captain and yet people here only see the negatives in this deal. for me i say bye beau, raty, and hello bo..isles are cringeworthy on faceoffs, bo helps big time, isles have been horrid on pp, bo should help big time… i think he signs here, and we are a couple
to a few players to reach the finals.

the problem i see is that the players are not playing up to their potential and for that i blame the coach, the team does not play a full 3 periods, for that i blame the coach, the team rarely squandered leads with trotz and yet it seems now thats all they do, i blame that on the coach as well. its a coaches job to get his players to play up to their potential and to give it all they got. that just isnt happening from what i been seeing.

in closing, i hope bo signs, the isles make the playoffs, and once again go on a big run. LGI
GREAT post.....I'm not a fan of Lambert but I also lay some of the blame on the players themselves. With all of this "veteran leadership", they can't get themselves and each other to play up to potential?

Hell they can't even run somebody into the boards when one of their teammates crumbles to the ice in a heap from an opponent's physical assault, whether it be clean or dirty.

Simply put and Goring has said this in the few broadcasts I've heard him ( get mostly out of town feeds) this team is soft. Pageau and Wahlstrom being the exception of guys who do stick up for their mates

I'm hoping Horvat changes this "culture" and along with a healthy Palms and hopefully soon enough Dobson they get going offensively.

Reactions: The Real JT

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
GREAT post.....I'm not a fan of Lambert but I also lay some of the blame on the players themselves. With all of this "veteran leadership", they can't get themselves and each other to play up to potential?

Hell they can't even run somebody into the boards when one of their teammates crumbles to the ice in a heap from an opponent's physical assault, whether it be clean or dirty.

Simply put and Goring has said this in the few broadcasts I've heard him ( get mostly out of town feeds) this team is soft. Pageau and Wahlstrom being the exception of guys who do stick up for their mates

I'm hoping Horvat changes this "culture" and along with a healthy Palms and hopefully soon enough Dobson they get going offensively.
I do believe part of this trade was to shake up the guys in the room. They may have gotten a little too comfortable with each other over the years.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I do believe part of this trade was to shake up the guys in the room. They may have gotten a little too comfortable with each other over the years.
That comfort factor plays well when the team is producing but I'll take the brawling in the locker room Oakland A's or NY Yankees and winning product vs cushy nice nice we all love each other stuff

Business is business and friends is friends.In sports, the business is winning

Reactions: MJF

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
You guys are going to love Bo.
His husltle, speed, grind, and back checking .... he really passes the eye test.
However, if he isnt scoring, then you kind of ask your self, "how is he not getting any points? he looks good", then you realize he isn't the best playmaker. Hopefully when he's scoring a goal every night though you wont care haha
who will he play with?

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
You guys are going to love Bo.
His husltle, speed, grind, and back checking .... he really passes the eye test.
However, if he isnt scoring, then you kind of ask your self, "how is he not getting any points? he looks good", then you realize he isn't the best playmaker. Hopefully when he's scoring a goal every night though you wont care haha
who will he play with?
We’ll see who he’s with at practice later today, but the general thought is he’ll center Bailey and Barzal on line 1 to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad