Blue Jays Discussion: Bo Bichette is pretty good at this whole "baseball" thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Seems like we could probably pick anywhere from 3 to 7 most likely, but this draft seems to pretty loaded. Hope it ends up as good as 2011.

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009
Seems like we could probably pick anywhere from 3 to 7 most likely, but this draft seems to pretty loaded. Hope it ends up as good as 2011.

Garrett Mitchell would have the potential to solve the CF hole we have pretty quick. At worst he seems like he will give you strong D. Question would be if the bat can make him a star or not, but still would be a pretty nice fit on the team.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Garrett Mitchell would have the potential to solve the CF hole we have pretty quick. At worst he seems like he will give you strong D. Question would be if the bat can make him a star or not, but still would be a pretty nice fit on the team.
Zac Veen is also pretty impressive early on. But he's further away.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I’ve never been a big mcCown fan but I like the post

Well, to be honest, they probably have enough star power and secondary talent for position players to compete for a championship if they develop as expected. McCowan is right that there is a big wait and see thats occurring, but we have some great cornerstone pieces.

Just have pretty much an entire rotation they need to put together. Some good prospects I believe (I dont follow baseball anywhere near as much as hockey so Im not positive of this), but there is a solid foundation here.

However, it still doesnt mean that fans cant want for a better return in some trades. Getting 1 or more top pitching prospect wouldve been huge.... so I hope the guys they got turn out. Also there are legitimate concerns that we shouldve held onto biagini/sanchez to see if they coildve gotten a better return later, but I understand Atkins is high on Fisher.

Tldr; Most people know we have to wait and see what we have, but it doesnt mean we have to be okay with everything we see occur while the construction happens.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
The deal the Blue Jays couldn’t close makes things awkward with Giles | The Star
The Blue Jays made five trades involving 14 players in a flurry of activity over the last week, yet one of the players they wanted to deal more than almost anyone else stayed put.

The ongoing saga involving Ken Giles and a wonky right elbow resulted in the veteran closer remaining with Toronto. A top trade chip staying right where he is instead of being swapped for a package of prospects. Another missed opportunity to fuel the rebuild, this one completely outside of the Jays’ control.

Toronto general manager Ross Atkins was engaged in trade talks involving Giles right up until Wednesday’s 4 p.m. deadline. According to a source familiar with the negotiations, the Yankees were among the teams that stayed in touch right up until the waning moments. Minnesota and Cleveland reportedly had been sniffing around as well.

But the issue Atkins faced this week never centred on a lack of interest in Giles. The 28-year-old has been enjoying a resurgence this year with a 1.54 ERA over 35 innings while converting all but one of his 15 save opportunities. The talent is there and almost every contender could find a spot for him, but teams obviously weren’t prepared to meet the Blue Jays’ demands after a series of health issues.
The injury isn’t considered serious and Giles is expected to return to the mound at some point this week in Baltimore, but it was enough to scare off other teams. Three elbow issues in less than two months was the type of risk contenders weren’t prepared to take on while also parting with some top prospects.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Blue Jays' Fisher gets chance to prove himself away from crowded Astros - Sportsnet.ca
Fisher wasn’t in the starting lineup for Thursday’s series opener against the Baltimore Orioles, as manager Charlie Montoyo elected to give the soon-to-be 26-year-old a day to acclimate to his new surroundings. But he made clear that Fisher, a left-handed hitter capable of playing all three outfield spots, will get regular work in a crowded outfield rotation.

The bulk of his reps will come in centre and right, as Montoyo doesn’t want to disrupt Lourdes Gurriel Jr.’s defensive progress in left, although some DH days for a group that also includes Grichuk, Teoscar Hernandez and, for now, Billy McKinney should keep everyone plenty busy.

Like Trent Thornton, another prospect the Blue Jays acquired from the Astros blocked by a tremendous rotation, Fisher will get the type of opportunity unavailable to him with George Springer, Michael Brantley, Josh Reddick and Jake Marisnick in the outfield.

“For Trent and myself alike, and plenty of other guys who have come from very good organizations, our time there, you can’t really take it lightly,” said Fisher. “Everything happens for a reason. I can’t speak for Trent, but I can think he learned a lot and to be able to come over here and use our skills and use what we learned in our time over there is something that’s pretty special.”
While the deal for him has been polarizing in Toronto – the acquisition cost of former ace Aaron Sanchez, reliever Joe Biagini and outfield prospect Cal Stevenson drawing fire – Hudgens understands it from the other end, describing Fisher as “a really highly thought-of prospect in Houston.”

“Really hard-working kid,” he continued. “Tremendous upside. Big power. Way-above-average speed. Can play any of the three outfield positions. He just needs an opportunity – he’s killed it at every level of the minor-leagues that he’s been in.”

The Blue Jays need to get a read on him quickly, since Fisher will be out of options next year, something that limits his runway if he doesn’t immediately take and other Blue Jays outfielders earn more playing time.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Fisher finds trade to Jays from Astros bittersweet, but ready to get chance to contribute
“I’m leaving an organization that took a chance on me and gave me the opportunity to live a childhood dream,” Fisher said. “A chance to have that and play with some of the best players in the game was something I’m never going to forget.”

Fisher wasn’t suggesting he was disappointed to be going to the Jays. He should get a greater opportunity to contribute in the outfield in Toronto than he did in Houston, though he was not in the starting lineup on Thursday.

And the 25-year-old sees some similarities between the Jays and Astros, with whom he won the World Series in 2017.

“To have an opportunity here with this team and the guys, and how much fun they have in here, and how closely knit this group is, (it’s) very similar to Houston,” Fisher said. “A lot of us played in the minor leagues together and that was a big part of why that team was so fun and why the minor leagues was as fun as it was, because we won a lot of games.

“I walk into this clubhouse and you have a lot of young faces and a lot of guys who have played with each other coming up through the minor leagues and I feel like that’s something great to have.

“I can’t take my time in Houston lightly with how much I learned and the guys I was able to play with, but there is a time when you want to be able to use your skills and to be able to help a team every single day. It’s why we play this game. Not only is it fun, but we get to help a team win and here in Toronto, a country win.”

Reactions: ktownhockey

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

Couldn't have even traded them and Groshans for a middle reliever, damn :sarcasm:

That's also a weirdly worded tweet. It reads to me like the market today was non existant, which duh the deadline is long over when he tweeted that today. Rather than he found out today that markets were non existant for them yesterday.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
After being traded from the Blue Jays to the Astros, pitcher Joe Biagini speaks to the media about the deal and, in typical Biagini fashion, jokes about his time in Toronto.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Bowden: Astros top the list of winners at the 2019 trade...

Winners

1. Houston Astros

Acquired RHP Zack Greinke and $24 million from the Diamondbacks in exchange for RHP Corbin Martin, RHP J.B. Bukauskas, LF Seth Beer and 3B Joshua Rojas. Acquired RHP Aaron Sanchez, RHP Joe Biagini and OF Cal Stevenson from Blue Jays in exchange for OF Derek Fisher. Traded 1B Tyler White to the Dodgers in exchange for RHP Andre Scrubb. Traded 2B/OF Tony Kemp to Cubs for C Martín Maldonado. Traded C Max Stassi to Angels in exchange for OF Rainier Rivas and OF Raider Uceta.

The Astros clearly won the trade deadline when they pulled off the biggest blockbuster trade of the year, landing the best starting pitcher who was traded at this year’s deadline in Zack Greinke from the Arizona Diamondbacks. GM Jeff Luhnow was able to pull off the trade without giving up his top two prospects in Kyle Tucker and Forrest Whitley and was even able to get Arizona to pick up $24 million of Greinke’s remaining contract. The Astros also landed pitchers Aaron Sanchez and Joe Biagini, along with outfielder Cal Stevenson from the Toronto Blue Jays in a lopsided trade that sent the toolsy Derek Fisher north of the border. Sanchez is a sinker/slider pitcher and looks like the next candidate for the Astros’ brilliant pitching coach Brent Strom and their analytics department to turn into a star as they previously have with pitchers Charlie Morton and Wade Miley.

In addition, the Astros reacquired Gold Glove catcher Martín Maldonado to back up Robinson Chirinos, which is significant because the Astros pitchers love pitching to him. The Astros have the best team in baseball, and I’m sure glad I picked them to win the World Series back in March because they’re clearly the best team on paper now.

4. New York Mets

Acquired RHP Marcus Stroman from Blue Jays in exchange for LHP Anthony Kay and RHP Simeon Woods Richardson. Traded RHP Wilmer Font to Blue Jays for cash. Acquired RHP Brooks Pounders from Indians for cash. Traded LHP Jason Vargas and $2.9 million to Phillies in exchange for C Austin Bossart.

The New York Mets shocked the baseball world Sunday when they outbid their crosstown rival Yankees and several other contending teams to land right-handed starting pitcher Marcus Stroman from the Toronto Blue Jays with the intent on keeping him as an important part of their starting rotation this year and next. In return, the Mets sent their top left-handed pitching prospect Anthony Kay, their first-round pick and No. 31 overall in the June 2016 MLB Draft, along with right-handed pitcher Simeon Woods Richardson, amounting to a solid but not special return for the rebuilding Blue Jays. The Mets realize this offseason free-agent market for starting pitching was tough and they wanted to get a head start on building for 2020.

The other best part of the Mets’ deadline was they kept starters Noah Syndergaard and Zach Wheeler and closer Edwin Díaz. This will allow the Mets to be more competitive the rest of the year and sets them up for next year, especially if they can re-sign Wheeler.

If the Mets can improve their defense and add a bat or two in the offseason, they should be right back to being contenders in 2020.

Losers

5. Toronto Blue Jays

Traded RHP Marcus Stroman to the Mets in exchange for LHP Anthony Kay and RHP Simeon Woods Richardson. Traded RHP Aaron Sanchez, RHP Joe Biagini and OF Cal Stevenson to Astros for OF Derek Fisher. Acquired RHP Wilmer Font from Mets for cash. Traded 2B Eric Sogard to the Rays in exchange for two players to be named later. Traded RHP David Phelps and cash considerations to Cubs in exchange for RHP Thomas Hatch. Traded RHP Daniel Hudson to Nationals in exchange for RHP Kyle Johnston. Claimed RHP Brock Stewart on waivers from Dodgers.

The Blue Jays didn’t get enough for Marcus Stroman in their trade with the Mets and should have waited until the deadline day to see if they could have gotten a better offer, especially when you consider the return the Indians got for Trevor Bauer. It also appears they grossly overpaid for the toolsy outfielder Derek Fisher in their trade with the Astros, who, like Randal Grichuk, must like his hit tool more than the rest of the industry.

Last edited:

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The kids are on a nice little roll. It would be great to see a strong finish to the season to set the stage for next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad