Blue Jays Discussion: Bo Bichette is pretty good at this whole "baseball" thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Do you think he has a higher upside than Pearson?

Nate's got that crazy crazy stuff, but SWR's stuff is pretty great too. and he's 4yrs younger pitching just as well as Nate, only one level below him.

If i'm going to stick with the numbers, I have to say that at the moment SWR looks more impressive.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Nate's got that crazy crazy stuff, but SWR's stuff is pretty great too. and he's 4yrs younger pitching just as well as Nate, only one level below him.

If i'm going to stick with the numbers, I have to say that at the moment SWR looks more impressive.

Is there a reason he wasn't showing up as a top echelon prospect? A lot of the disappointment in here after the Stroman trade was: "We didn't even get a Top XX prospect in the deal."

I just assumed it was his age. At 18, he just didn't have enough sample size as a pro to start moving up those kinds of lists.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
This thread is hilarious. There's like 5-6 responses to something that regardless of agreeing to the original point; make sense.

Then there's like 5 or 6 people who chime in and completely ignore all of the factual information posted directly before them in some need to just be negative.

If ALL of the AL passes on a free waiver player, then clearly that player doesn't have much of a demand.

Imagine we traded galvis for "cash considerations" or something, i imagine the response to it would be around the same, so what's the difference?

Play the kids.

well the thing is it helps if the "facts" are actually "facts".

for instance, the waiver priority is no longer league-based, so no, the entire AL didn't pass on him. The Reds were about #10 in waiver priority, I think, and maybe the first team in priority that was in any kind of playoff contention.

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
Kay had a decent game last night. 0ER 8K 5BB. Hopefully he wraps up the season on a good run. Probably will be looking at him in spring training.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Top 5 pick incoming. Any ideas on who the Jays might take?

The Jays currently sit in the 6th spot despite the 9th worst run differential (which is nowhere remotely close to as bad as the other teams around them in the standings) and have been playing roughly .500 for the last two months. They could definitely fall apart the rest of the way with the pitching they have right now, but... they're really not that bad now that the filler has been replaced by the really talented kids.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Please. Management could trade Galvis for Trout and people would still ***** about management here. The “fans” on here and nauseating with their hatred for management. This is easily the best management team this team has ever had and it will reflect that in the next 2 years. Unfortunately this fan base is annoyingly impatient and extremely short sighted.

I like the "fans" in quotes. I have been watching this team since 2001 with only 2 playoff appearances to show for it. So please don't talk about "fans". I don't like management, does not make me a fake fan.

Reactions: Kurtz

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Is there a reason he wasn't showing up as a top echelon prospect? A lot of the disappointment in here after the Stroman trade was: "We didn't even get a Top XX prospect in the deal."

I just assumed it was his age. At 18, he just didn't have enough sample size as a pro to start moving up those kinds of lists.

yeah with this being his first real season as a pro, most of his ranking would come down to draft-day scouting reports, and not much else. but even that draft day profile had him as guy just outside of the usual top-100 range, just needing a little bit of a track record to get there.

but with the year he's having he should rocket up the lists.

it's good to remember how the ranking can be super deceiving - i.e. the difference between the #50 and #125 prospect is usually less than the difference between the #25 and #50 prospect.

fangraph's big board helps illustrate that picture by sorting prospects in future value (fv) tiers: THE BOARD! | FanGraphs Baseball

70fv (1): Franco
65fv (3): Lewis, Adell, Bichette
60fv (11): #4-15
55fv (29): #16-#44
50fv (77): #45-#121

So you have that big mess of 50fv guys who are all pretty similar, and make up most of the top-100.

Right now they have SWR one notch below those guys at a 45fv, but given his performance they've already bumped him up a select group of those 45s which they call 45+fv - basically guys they think are fast risers and about to likely move up a grade (or more) when they re-do their rankings at the end of the year.

SWR is almost a lock to be a 50fv guy at the end of the year, which puts him anywhere in that 45-120 rank range. But really, based on his stuff and his performance, imo he could easily end up a 55fv guys this offseason, which gets him knocking on the top-25 door.

Reactions: Discoverer

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario

All people care about is lists. 99% of the people who didnt like the trade had probably never even seen him pitched and just looked to see if he was top 100 ranked.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
yeah with this being his first real season as a pro, most of his ranking would come down to draft-day scouting reports, and not much else. but even that draft day profile had him as guy just outside of the usual top-100 range, just needing a little bit of a track record to get there.

but with the year he's having he should rocket up the lists.

it's good to remember how the ranking can be super deceiving - i.e. the difference between the #50 and #125 prospect is usually less than the difference between the #25 and #50 prospect.

fangraph's big board helps illustrate that picture by sorting prospects in future value (fv) tiers: THE BOARD! | FanGraphs Baseball

70fv (1): Franco
65fv (3): Lewis, Adell, Bichette
60fv (11): #4-15
55fv (29): #16-#44
50fv (77): #45-#121

So you have that big mess of 50fv guys who are all pretty similar, and make up most of the top-100.

Right now they have SWR one notch below those guys at a 45fv, but given his performance they've already bumped him up a select group of those 45s which they call 45+fv - basically guys they think are fast risers and about to likely move up a grade (or more) when they re-do their rankings at the end of the year.

SWR is almost a lock to be a 50fv guy at the end of the year, which puts him anywhere in that 45-120 rank range. But really, based on his stuff and his performance, imo he could easily end up a 55fv guys this offseason, which gets him knocking on the top-25 door.

Yep... a lot of it is just an age/experience/track record thing. To wit: he's the only 18-year-old pitcher with a 45+ FV rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->