OT: Bluesy - Stanley Cup Finals 2017

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
yueFl04.png

Subban was pulling a Subban by grabbing the leg. Crosby did what every player does when someone refuses to let go.

lol I know it was just funny that of all people that it was highlighted to on national television Crosby was the other guy this time. I'd love to see what the general consensus between all hockey fans is on this one

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Dear God Pens destroy Preds. Auch. This series is getting better and better.

And are you kidding me? ROn Hainsey :laugh:

Last edited:

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Hooray!
No bandwagon Preds fans showing up to Blues games like they have been fans for years wearing their brand new hats and jerseys where you can still see where the sticker was on them.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Getting new fans interested in the sport is how the game grows. It's not a bad thing.

I'd be very concerned for the state of the game if an exciting (and for that franchise, unprecedented) playoff run didn't catch the attention of previous non-fans and stoke the interest of casual fans.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Getting new fans interested in the sport is how the game grows. It's not a bad thing.

I'd be very concerned for the state of the game if an exciting (and for that franchise, unprecedented) playoff run didn't catch the attention of previous non-fans and stoke the interest of casual fans.

I agree that new fans are good. But there is some serious issue with fans of teams close to these teams that are suddenly cup winners. Ask SJS and ANA fans about Kings fans. Ask yourself about Blackhawk fans. Ask Philly fans about Pens fans. Heck, the Pens were almost moved / disbanded but were saved.

Nashville is constantly rated one of the most miserable sports towns. So of course this run got tons of people interested. I am being selfish because of my experience dealing with a guy who said Pekka Rinne (pronounced it like "hiney" but with an R) has been the best rookie goalie all season.

Was not looking forward to dealing with that. I was a Blues fan in Colorado in 1996 when they were instant winners of the cup and it sucks dealing with new fans who know nothing of the sport and will just slam "we won a cup and you haven't!" in your face all the time like, more recently, Blackhawk fans do. Avalanche fans got a lot better over time though. Hopefully Hawk fans do too.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I agree that new fans are good. But there is some serious issue with fans of teams close to these teams that are suddenly cup winners. Ask SJS and ANA fans about Kings fans. Ask yourself about Blackhawk fans. Ask Philly fans about Pens fans. Heck, the Pens were almost moved / disbanded but were saved.

Nashville is constantly rated one of the most miserable sports towns. So of course this run got tons of people interested. I am being selfish because of my experience dealing with a guy who said Pekka Rinne (pronounced it like "hiney" but with an R) has been the best rookie goalie all season.

Was not looking forward to dealing with that. I was a Blues fan in Colorado in 1996 when they were instant winners of the cup and it sucks dealing with new fans who know nothing of the sport and will just slam "we won a cup and you haven't!" in your face all the time like, more recently, Blackhawk fans do. Avalanche fans got a lot better over time though. Hopefully Hawk fans do too.

So your argument is that the fans of teams don't like the fans of their rival team? Flip any of those. Ask Pens fans about Philly fans and it probably won't be complimentary. Is that because Philly won the cup in 1975 or because fans don't like their rivals nor the fans of their rivals?

As to the guy wo talked about Rinne as a rookie, there are fans that are casual or ignorant or both in every fan base. We haven't won a thing and I am sure there are people just as ignorant who call themselves Blues fans.

What it sounds like to me is sour grapes. "It's unfair that an ignorant fan gets to celebrate a cup win when I, who know a lot about my team, don't."

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
So your argument is that the fans of teams don't like the fans of their rival team? Flip any of those. Ask Pens fans about Philly fans and it probably won't be complimentary. Is that because Philly won the cup in 1975 or because fans don't like their rivals nor the fans of their rivals?

As to the guy wo talked about Rinne as a rookie, there are fans that are casual or ignorant or both in every fan base. We haven't won a thing and I am sure there are people just as ignorant who call themselves Blues fans.

What it sounds like to me is sour grapes. "It's unfair that an ignorant fan gets to celebrate a cup win when I, who know a lot about my team, don't."

That's not at all what I said. Please try again.

Looks like you are just trying to argue.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

That's fine, but I feel bad for my friends who were long-suffering fans who followed the NHL long before a team came to Nashville. I lived there from 2001-2005 and met plenty of knowledgeable hockey fans. Why do we have to focus on the bandwagoners? Did you feel this way about Tony X?

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
That's not at all what I said. Please try again.

Looks like you are just trying to argue.

Its exactly what you said. You said there were serious issue with new fans. of cup winner Then as evidence you said to ask the rivals of those fanbases and gave one extreme example of a single stupid fan. Neither of which are persuasive evidence that new fans are inherently bad, especially when compared to the need to expand the game.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Yeah, new fans sometimes suck and can be obnoxious and ignorant. But the only way to create longtime fans is to have them start as new fans.

Plus, I know some longtime fans that are ignorant and dumb as well.

Mar 6, 2012
I always find it funny that people think that fans of different teams are all that different.

People are more or less the same everywhere. Some factors change things up, like big city markets vs small and the recent success of the franchise... but I think that the vast majority of sports fanbases are more similar than different.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I always find it funny that people think that fans of different teams are all that different.

People are more or less the same everywhere. Some factors change things up, like big city markets vs small and the recent success of the franchise... but I think that the vast majority of sports fanbases are more similar than different.

Not Blackhawk fans!

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
That's fine, but I feel bad for my friends who were long-suffering fans who followed the NHL long before a team came to Nashville. I lived there from 2001-2005 and met plenty of knowledgeable hockey fans. Why do we have to focus on the bandwagoners? Did you feel this way about Tony X?
I had plenty of friends who were "NHL fans" long before the Avalanche had a team. All hopped on the bandwagon and they won a cup instantly. They are insufferable and I tend not to discuss hockey with them much anymore. Much like my friends who like the Blackhawks and the Cubs. Felt happy for them at first. Then they and many others liked to rub it in the face of Blues fans. At least Cards fans have plenty to defend themselves against bandwagon Cub fans.

Its exactly what you said. You said there were serious issue with new fans. of cup winner Then as evidence you said to ask the rivals of those fanbases and gave one extreme example of a single stupid fan. Neither of which are persuasive evidence that new fans are inherently bad, especially when compared to the need to expand the game.
Not what I said at all. You are putting words in my mouth. Regardless, what I know of those fans are the ones I interact with. I am very selfish about it, I will be the first to admit it. But if the Preds won and suddenly there were frat-boy Preds fans showing up to Blues / Preds games in STL rubbing the cup winning in our faces I guarantee you many people who were saying "good for the preds!" would be singing a different tune. Happened when KC won a WS, Cubs, Blackhawks. Being physically close to another winning city who hasn't won in a long time will turn the good tidings sour because of the single stupid fan interactions. It grows tremendously if they win.

I don't think it would be different than another fanbase at all. It's the proximity. I am sure Hawk and Preds fans are going to feel the same exact way I do if the Blues were to ever win one. We would become the insufferable bandwagon fanbase that CHI is now and NSH almost became. The difference is living 4hrs from each city and having to deal with said fanbases. Not that it would be different for any other team.

Again, I am fully admitting to being selfish here. It's all moot anyways. Preds are going the way of VAN and SJS. All hype, everyone will be high on them for another year, they won't go to the cup finals again and everyone will forget about them. And I will remember all the silly fans saying how great they were blah blah blah and nobody will admit it and NSH can go back to watching football and listening to country music.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad