Pre-Game Talk: Blues @ Wings *5pm (early game reminder)

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Can we bring up Pickard??
Maybe this will wake the team up, kinda like pulling the goalie during a game, but more extreme.

This game was on Bernie anyways. If the team is going to win any more games this season, they've got to start holding players accountable. Bernie, Hirose, Green, Nielsen, AA (I'm a fan, but he's got no finish this season), etc. Bernie and Hirose should get sent down to GR, Green gets the pressbox for a couple of games, Nielsen gets reduced ice time, and they should just quit double shifting AA until he gets back in a groove.

If players don't get held accountable, they'll just half ass it like Bernie and Green have all season. Green is racking up some serious penalty minutes, something definitely has to be done there. I'd rather see BigE for a couple of games so Green can sit and watch.

Athana see you later

Feb 9, 2019
I like the way he makes quick cuts to open areas in the defensive zone to reset the play. I think he shows signs of a very active and effective stick also.
He uses his space behind the net very well too. Several times he was able to cut off his forechecker and take a few strides into the open ice and rush/break the puck out

plymouthmi

Jan 17, 2015
Chicago
I think Hronek is going to be a top 2 D in his prime. The kid gets better and better. He'll hit 40 points this year I think.
I have not been able to watch any of the games so far this year (and tend to avoid the GDTs) so I've been wondering how Hronek has looked this year. How has he been defensively?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Still. If his knee was too sore to take a regular shift, you'd sit him out and rest him.

This just seems like "Blashill defense" talk more than anything very reasonable.

He's playing limited minutes ... and unlike his linemates, getting zero special teams play. That's the reason.

My beef here is that he should be playing the powerplay... ahead of Givani Smith.
No offense to Smith. But I don't see how he hops up to the NHL and skips past Svech for a PP role Svech has every ability to fulfill.

We're not in the room to hear what medical is saying. Or what Svech is saying. I think it's weird that the kid isn't getting more minutes, but what we know is that the kid admits he's still getting up to speed, he's wearing a brace, and that he might still be dealing with soreness. Watching him, I think he also doesn't entirely trust the knee as he goes down kinda quick at times, like he's trying to protect a bit.

On the power play, I'm not sure they want Svech down low getting beat on until he's fully confident in that knee. That said, I'd have kicked Hirose off the power play and gave Svech that spot. And with Perlini here, Hirose would be going to GR at this point.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Still. If his knee was too sore to take a regular shift, you'd sit him out and rest him.

This just seems like "Blashill defense" talk more than anything very reasonable.

He's playing limited minutes ... and unlike his linemates, getting zero special teams play. That's the reason.

My beef here is that he should be playing the powerplay... ahead of Givani Smith.
No offense to Smith. But I don't see how he hops up to the NHL and skips past Svech for a PP role Svech has every ability to fulfill.

You mentioned this before but I've already said it. Svech hasnt played the net front role and Smith actually has and done it well. You should be complaining about Hirose still playing over Svech. Its not like Svech is some established vet that should be getting a role over Smith either.

As for the minutes thing, I agree with you. I dont think hes actually hurt I think Blash is just being an idiotbecause the logical thing to do would be sit him if he needs to get healthy. On the other hand, the way hes played it almost makes no sense that Blashill wouldnt play him so that just seems like the only possible explanation.

Svech has been noticeable in every single game in a really good way, theyre on an 8 game losing streak but still he isnt getting played. Injury seems like the only logical thing here. But if hes hurt just call up Puempel or something and let Svechnikov get healthy

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
You mentioned this before but I've already said it. Svech hasnt played the net front role and Smith actually has and done it well. You should be complaining about Hirose still playing over Svech. Its not like Svech is some established vet that should be getting a role over Smith either.

As for the minutes thing, I agree with you. I dont think hes actually hurt I think Blash is just being an idiotbecause the logical thing to do would be sit him if he needs to get healthy. On the other hand, the way hes played it almost makes no sense that Blashill wouldnt play him so that just seems like the only possible explanation.

Svech has been noticeable in every single game in a really good way, theyre on an 8 game losing streak but still he isnt getting played. Injury seems like the only logical thing here. But if hes hurt just call up Puempel or something and let Svechnikov get healthy

I think there is hurt, as in something that needs rest to heal, and then there's hurting or soreness which might be something that just needs worked through because he had major knee surgery, he didn't play hockey for a year, and his body is still adjusting. Or it's something he's got to learn to just live with because he's always going to hurt.

If Blash isn't playing him because he doesn't think Svech adds more than several other guys...it's a move that I just have a hard time seeing. The kid plays too well with the minutes he gets.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think there is hurt, as in something that needs rest to heal, and then there's hurting or soreness which might be something that just needs worked through because he had major knee surgery, he didn't play hockey for a year, and his body is still adjusting. Or it's something he's got to learn to just live with because he's always going to hurt.

If Blash isn't playing him because he doesn't think Svech adds more than several other guys...it's a move that I just have a hard time seeing. The kid plays too well with the minutes he gets.

That might be true but if hes sore to the point he can only play 6 or 7 mins a night, he shouldnt be doing it at the NHL level trying to get better. It doesnt make sense, it also doesnt make sense that he looks as good as he does in those limited minutes if there is actual issues with his knee.

Obviously dont know for sure but it would be dumb to keep him up and jut play 6 mins because hes too sore for anything else

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
That might be true but if hes sore to the point he can only play 6 or 7 mins a night, he shouldnt be doing it at the NHL level trying to get better. It doesnt make sense, it also doesnt make sense that he looks as good as he does in those limited minutes if there is actual issues with his knee.

Obviously dont know for sure but it would be dumb to keep him up and jut play 6 mins because hes too sore for anything else

Maybe, but it's not like the Wings are needing that roster spot. All I know is that of all of the reasons for Svech's minutes to be limited, something injury related is what makes the most sense. Does anyone have any idea how many minutes he was getting in GR? The AHL doesn't keep official TOI stats... .

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Maybe, but it's not like the Wings are needing that roster spot. All I know is that of all of the reasons for Svech's minutes to be limited, something injury related is what makes the most sense. Does anyone have any idea how many minutes he was getting in GR? The AHL doesn't keep official TOI stats... .

I only watched one full game but he was getting top line minutes. Thats what makes me wonder about the ice time now. Makes the mot sense its injury related but wasnt a factor when he was playing with the Griffins. Just an odd situation all around

Reactions: Winger98

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
The Wings have been giving up 5 goals a game. I think they could use that roster spot better than someone who can only play 6 minutes due to soreness.

I understand looking for some explanation, because the idea that Blashill is only playing Svech 6 minutes a game when he looks good is incredibly stupid and frustrating. But I've frankly never heard of a player staying in the lineup and getting limited ice time for multiple games due to soreness. Also if that were the case they'd likely have him playing through it in the minors, not with the big club.

I think this is what it looks like. Svech has looked good in his minutes but Blashill is stapling him to the bench for much of the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad