GDT: Blues @ Wild 10/10/15 8 PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Wouldn't be surprised to see Shattenkirk/Parayko get some shifts on the left side during high leverage situations this year. Seems almost inevitable that Parayko is going too be the 4th defenseman that we ride hard when it matters. Only question is who plays the left side between those two.

If today was any indication it would probably be Parayko playing on the left side with the monster one-timer.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I think Parayko was out there on the left side tonight at the end.
I saw him on the left side for sure with the extra man, but the pairings were pretty jumbled for much of the night and I'm not sure if he would be the choice for a regular shift on that side.

Didn't Shattenkirk play on the left when he and Pietrangelo were out there together?

Either way, I doubt we find someone better than Parayko to bring in, so we might as well start preparing for him to play a significant role now. Tonight was a good step in that direction. I'm curious to see how the Blues choose to build on it.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I don't think anyone ever would call Gunnarson a first pairing defenseman. At best he's a second pair, most accurately he's a bottom 4. So he's a depth guy. But you need guys like that. And we do need players like that because injuries are a thing.

Your splitting hairs on terminology. Top 4, bottom 4...he's suppose to be a 2nd pairing dman. He's always played up. That makes him a top 4 guy. Yes we need depth, but the only person he should be penciled in to fill in for is Boumeester. All I'm saying is that if we're saying Gunnarsson is a bottom 4 depth guy, then I'd rather see him moved and let Lindbohm play. I don't really think the gap, if there is one, between Gunnarsson and Lindbohm is the difference between the Blues having success and failure.

Speaking of rookies...I'm enjoying watching this rookie laden coyotes absolutely working Pittsburgh

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I saw him on the left side for sure with the extra man, but the pairings were pretty jumbled for much of the night and I'm not sure if he would be the choice for a regular shift on that side.

Didn't Shattenkirk play on the left when he and Pietrangelo were out there together?

Either way, I doubt we find someone better than Parayko to bring in, so we might as well start preparing for him to play a significant role now. Tonight was a good step in that direction. I'm curious to see how the Blues choose to build on it.
I think Parayko's reach and mobility can help him adapt to that left side. This kid literally makes massive leaps and bounds in development.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Code:
Jbo (22:08) - Pietro (27:28)
Gunnar (13:42) - Shattery (22:03)
Bortuzzo (11:51) - Parayko (19:22)

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
It's only 2 games into Parayko's career and he looks very impressive. He doesn't seem to ever run out of gas.
The offense will come with time but his reads defensively are just outstanding.
He's only 22 and the future looks very bright for him. I'm not looking for him to become a crazy version of Phaneuf by any stretch but I do hope he develops a little meaner edge to his game. He seems a little shy to use his strength and size when it comes to 1 on 1 battles. Overall though really impressive.

Not going to shock me to see Lehtera & Stastny flipped soon. Stastny has chemistry with Schwartz anyway & Lehtera with Tarasenko. I'd move Jaskin to the 2nd line (even though he hasn't earned it thus far).

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
If you go Parayko / Shatty and bring Lindbolm up, the pairing will be goofy.

Parayko / Shatty
Lindbolm / Edmundson

Have 2 players playing on wrong side. Problem?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
If you go Parayko / Shatty and bring Lindbolm up, the pairing will be goofy.

Parayko / Shatty
Lindbolm / Edmundson

Have 2 players playing on wrong side. Problem?

Very happy with Edmundson but I think he's going to have some growing pains. I'd platoon him and Bortuzzo

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura
Did anybody else notice Jbo explode like a bat out of hell towards the net with the puck in the third? I think he's got his legs back.

While the Blues lost, I think there are still some positives to take from this, like the franchise playing outstanding and ripping one timers like they write novels about.

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
I missed the game, can someone fill me in on the dissatisfaction with the 1st line and what's going on with the D?

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands

It's asking an awful lot of a rookie, who comes from a Tier II Us College league, to get used to the added speed and less operating room of The NHL, at the same time as getting used to playing on his opposite side. On the other hand, Shattenkirk is The Blues' offensive catalyst. His effectiveness may depend some on his experience, which is mostly on the right ide. BUT....he is all over the ice on offence, and so, is well used to starting offensive plays from his off side. So, I would be more worried about his ability to defend being affected. Nevertheless, it might be better to try Shattenkirk on his off side, than to ask a rookie to also deal with that change.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I missed the game, can someone fill me in on the dissatisfaction with the 1st line and what's going on with the D?

There is no dissatisfaction with the first line. They are awesome and possibly one of the best lines in hockey. The dissatisfaction is all our offensive creativity is on that line. With Fabbri hurt (and even when healthy just a rookie), Schwartz is the only other guy that can drive the offense. Lehtera is looking gassed a lot. And the BBJ line is 3 power forwards with no playmaker.

As for the D, Gunnarsson was bad. He was slow-footed, lazy and made several mistakes. Bortuzzo got absolutely worked on a play giving up a breakaway. They both got very little ice time in the second half of the game.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

Who's dissatisfied with the 1st line? They carry us. Gunnarson looks bad so Hitch moved Parayko with Shatty. Parayko is a monster

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
There is no dissatisfaction with the first line. They are awesome and possibly one of the best lines in hockey. The dissatisfaction is all our offensive creativity is on that line. With Fabbri hurt (and even when healthy just a rookie), Schwartz is the only other guy that can drive the offense. Lehtera is looking gassed a lot. And the BBJ line is 3 power forwards with no playmaker.

As for the D, Gunnarsson was bad. He was slow-footed, lazy and made several mistakes. Bortuzzo got absolutely worked on a play giving up a breakaway. They both got very little ice time in the second half of the game.

Mcjesuss friend is hurt? How did that happen? I take it Parayko was impressive? Is he really good, or is that in comparison to Gunnarson?

CitizenSnips

TheFightingMongooses
Nov 23, 2011
St. Louis
The Blues played a very sloppy mistake filled game. They didn't deserve to win this game. The Wild got a few lucky bounces, and had 2 grievous penalty offences not called (The hit on Fabbri, and the high stick to Backes' face. The Wild also didn't deserve to win.

I hope The Blues start playing better on the rest of this road trip. I like Bortuzzo's energy, shot and physical game. But he's too slow as a skater, and too slow in reaction time to defend against all but team's 4th liners. He's a liability on the ice. I hope Lindbohm will be brought up as soon as possible, and Bortuzzo will get few games in this season. I know he's on a one-way contract, so that's not going to happen. But, I hope he's in the press box most of the season. Gunnarsson could have played better, but even Shattenkirk and pietrangelo made several errors and poor plays. Many of the forwards did, as well.

I like the new strategy of attacking more, and taking more chances on offence, But, The Blues also fell back into old habits of cycling the puck along the boards too much, and not moving into the centre of the zone, and not moving enough without the puck. Backes looked awfully slow. I hope Fabbri only had a bruised arm, and will be back next week. The Blues need his scoring skill and speed, and tenacious puck-hounding.

You are not saying anything that is incorrect. I felt the Blues played a better game and that is just my point going back to the playoffs last year. The Wild get sloppy goals (not saying they are sloppy) and the Blues miss opportunities. I think what the Blues lack the most is speed and puck-hounding. They are not going to be able to beat good teams playing dump and chase and cycling the offensive zone. That works really well against bad teams but it just doesn't play well in todays NHL. We NEED to adapt

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
There is no way, and I repeat no way, even though I love Backes, that I am giving him a large contract. He is decending quickly.

CitizenSnips

TheFightingMongooses
Nov 23, 2011
St. Louis
There is no way, and I repeat no way, even though I love Backes, that I am giving him a large contract. He is decending quickly.

I don't know that he is descending, I would say more that his shortcomings are not being hidden on the top line by our other top guys. I think he needs to realize his roll and take a hard look at that "C" on his jersey and stop playing like a moody teenager.

All that said, I have Backes on my jersey and think he is a huge part of this team.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I don't know that he is descending, I would say more that his shortcomings are not being hidden on the top line by our other top guys. I think he needs to realize his roll and take a hard look at that "C" on his jersey and stop playing like a moody teenager.

All that said, I have Backes on my jersey and think he is a huge part of this team.

I love Backes, but i'm not giving him 5 yrs 30 mill like people are speculating.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Mcjesuss friend is hurt? How did that happen? I take it Parayko was impressive? Is he really good, or is that in comparison to Gunnarson?

I think Fabbri was hurt off camera. If it was on camera, it wasn't highlighted or pointed out in any way. They just kinda said in the 2nd period "Oh btw Fabbri is out for the game". Someone in the thread said Sutter elbowed or x-checked him. Possibly a shoulder or sore elbow. Only listed as an undisclosed upper body injury.

Parayko was definitely impressive for a rookie. How impressive, depends on who you ask. He is playing confident, relatively mistake free hockey. He has insane physical characteristics in size, skating and shot. He has impressed me. He is playing like a veteran top 4 which is a lot to ask from a guy in his 2nd NHL game. I try not to hype him though. If another poster responded, they will probably tell some story about how the team was tired and he told them to take a break while he played 15 minutes of 5-on-1 hockey where the Wild could barely contain him.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I think Fabbri was hurt off camera. If it was on camera, it wasn't highlighted or pointed out in any way. They just kinda said in the 2nd period "Oh btw Fabbri is out for the game". Someone in the thread said Sutter elbowed or x-checked him. Possibly a shoulder or sore elbow. Only listed as an undisclosed upper body injury.

Parayko was definitely impressive for a rookie. How impressive, depends on who you ask. He is playing confident, relatively mistake free hockey. He has insane physical characteristics in size, skating and shot. He has impressed me. He is playing like a veteran top 4 which is a lot to ask from a guy in his 2nd NHL game. I try not to hype him though. If another poster responded, they will probably tell some story about how the team was tired and he told them to take a break while he played 15 minutes of 5-on-1 hockey where the Wild could barely contain him.

5 on 2, Tarasenko was on the ice with him and they were just playing monkey in the middle with the Wild.:popcorn:

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Ah crap. Sorry to hear about your cat. Sucks to lose a friend like that.

Thanks for the well wishes mate. We knew it was coming, but it still sucks.

A couple of thoughts:

Losing Fabbri is a significant blow to this team. We desperately need his speed and creativity. Brouwer has no business playing on a line with Schwartz and Lehtera. I don't know if Jaskin did something to put himself in the dog house, but his usage seemed very limited to me in a game where we could have used a guy bulling his way to the net. I don't see why Jaskin is playing with Backes in the first place, they have zero chemistry.

Parayko looked pretty solid. I'd like to see him use that huge cannon of his more, especially against teams that clog the middle. Just blast away man, they will either get tired of the onslaught, or it will eventually bang on someone and go in. NHL dedication or not, if you shoot 100 MPH, people will eventually get out of the way.

Gunnarsson has looked pretty underwhelming to start the year. He's had some steady play in the past, but frankly, if he's not the #4 guy, we don't need him taking up a spot. I'd much rather have Lindbohlm progressing in his spot at the NHL level.

As for the person who was trying to compare Gunnarsson to Backes in terms of people complaining about letting them walk with no return, they are vastly different. Backes, as we seem to all toot about, is a "Selke caliber center capable of 30 goals." This is a much much harder position to fill/more valuable asset then a "bottom 4" or lower tier #4 d-man. Letting Backes walk away for nothing is terrible asset management. Letting Gunnarsson walk away for nothing is vastly different, as, at best, I could see us getting a 2nd for him from a desperate team. Backes should be worth at minimum a top 6 ceiling forward prospect and a 1st.

Allen had a solid game, he made some big saves for us. I don't really blame him for any of those goals, it might have been nice for him to track the puck on the third goal a bit better, but that's nitpicking.

At the end of the day though, I put this loss on Hitch. We still can't seem to figure out how to beat this team's system, even though it's pretty straightforward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad