Half-Assed GDT: Blues Vs Stars - Preseason game #5

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
pfff, Yeo blind, keeping Maroon Still 1st line. that guy will rregress Tarasenko's produce and it will be problematic line at d-zone, ROR can't carry alone that line.

as much as I agree with him being blind.. and inept at the PP. I think its still a feeling out give it a shot Ran... in a few weeks if its still that way and not producing I will admit you are right and be on your band wagon..

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
pfff, Yeo blind, keeping Maroon Still 1st line. that guy will rregress Tarasenko's produce and it will be problematic line at d-zone, ROR can't carry alone that line.
I'd like to see them actually play together before declaring it a failure. Maroon has functioned just fine on a skilled line in his past, and he brings an element that Tarasenko hasn't had before (net front presence) to a degree that might improve Vlad's chances.

Reactions: Chief Steele

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I see Maroon-ROR-Tarasenko is getting a long, hard look. I hope Yeo isn't going to get obstinate about them and keep them together no matter what. That line is pretty slow for an NHL top line.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
On one hand, it bothers me that Thomas isn't getting the chance to play with skilled players to the degree that Kyrou and Blais are. On the other hand, if they're giving him the "Gilmour treatment" and he becomes a better all around player for it and has anywhere near the career that Gilmour had it will be worth it.

Reactions: Chief Steele

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I'd like to see them actually play together before declaring it a failure. Maroon has functioned just fine on a skilled line in his past, and he brings an element that Tarasenko hasn't had before (net front presence) to a degree that might improve Vlad's chances.
I know its better to give them to play together longer time then 1 pre-season game :D I could be totally wrong, but my eye test on 1 game was enough what Maroon can do and not. For sure it will take time to build chemistry, but I'm talking generally what kind of player would work out on that line. It need to be winger who has high tempo gamespeed (Fabbri and Schwartz were earlier guys who can match up Tarasenko's gamespeed) to play hard forecheck and ability to create plays by himself and have at least decent defensive hockey IQ. Currently Maroon is just guy who is depending everything what ROR and Tarasenko can bring to the line. I view Maroon is only good option for powerplay net front presence.

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura
In regards to Thomas, that's just the spot he has for the season. Thomas as the 4th line center is tremendous depth. He'll eventually move up, but he'll be able to develop his game there like Schwartz did on the 4th. It's more important that he develops his complete game this year than produces points. With a healthy roster, his linemates are going to be good, so I'm not worried.
I think it's believed that Thomas needs to center the best offensive players at all times and be in the running for the Calder or else his development is ruined and he's a bust and Yeo hates rookies

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I definitely don't mind Thomas having a lesser role down the lineup to start his NHL career, but I do hope they get to the point where they at least sprinkle him in here and there higher in the lineup for a few select shifts each game.

I'd like to see his creative instincts nurtured. The best way to do that is to play him with players that can reward him for making creative plays. It probably wouldn't hurt to see if any interesting chemistry develops with anyone, just in case.

Reactions: Brockon

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Barbashev has looked solid and has shown some decent chemistry with Thomas and Kyrou. If there's no room for Blais in the top 9, it wouldn't surprise me that they'd rather have Barbashev on the roster. He plays more of a two-way game and plays center if they decide to bump Thomas up the lineup. So, giving Barbashev more games with Thomas makes perfect sense if that's a pair they see playing together to start the season. Although, I hoped Sanford would get in some games to challenge for that spot, especially with Fabbri's groin injury.

Reactions: BlueDream

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I know its better to give them to play together longer time then 1 pre-season game :D I could be totally wrong, but my eye test on 1 game was enough what Maroon can do and not. For sure it will take time to build chemistry, but I'm talking generally what kind of player would work out on that line. It need to be winger who has high tempo gamespeed (Fabbri and Schwartz were earlier guys who can match up Tarasenko's gamespeed) to play hard forecheck and ability to create plays by himself and have at least decent defensive hockey IQ. Currently Maroon is just guy who is depending everything what ROR and Tarasenko can bring to the line. I view Maroon is only good option for powerplay net front presence.
Fabbri would be the best option, if he's able to do it physically. It looks like he needs some time to get into game shape. In the meantime, we can see how things go with Maroon.

But what about leaving Maroon-O'Reilly and moving Tarasenko to Bozak's line?

Maroon-O'Reilly-Steen or Perron (or someone else) become the defensive match-up line.
Fabbri-Bozak-Tarasenko get the offensive zone starts.

I'm not so sure Bozak is well suited for a defensive zone start role anyway, but he has some offensive creativity. By not doing that (keeping the lines as we've seen to this point in camp) it tells me that Yeo is less worried about defensive matching than what we've gotten used to in years past. Maybe his plan is to create the headache for opposing coaches of having dangerous offensive players on every line. This strategy would work great if you win the face-off. This roster seems well suited to winning more face-offs.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I like the lines, even the 4th.

I know a lot of people want Thomas to get more offensive chances, but I’m more worried about getting good defensive play from that line. Let Thomas develop his defensive play first and then see if the points come in bigger roles.

Thomas is never going to be a McDavid or Crosby level scorer. He needs to learn NHL level defense just like every other 2-way C in the League has. Start on the bottom with a safety net next to him and then work your way up. The skill will show itself when the rest of his game advances.

This is exactly it. Just maybe the Blues want Thomas to focus on other things besides offense. There is a lot more to being an NHL center than putting up points. I don't think fans should read too much into his preseason linemates.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I definitely don't mind Thomas having a lesser role down the lineup to start his NHL career, but I do hope they get to the point where they at least sprinkle him in here and there higher in the lineup for a few select shifts each game.

I'd like to see his creative instincts nurtured. The best way to do that is to play him with players that can reward him for making creative plays. It probably wouldn't hurt to see if any interesting chemistry develops with anyone, just in case.
Weren't they running him every 3rd shift a few games ago?

On a side let's not forget he missed a good bit of training and if I had to guess, that ankle is probably sore after a skate. I guess I just dont get the problem some have with him on the 4th. He's not auditioning, that's his spot.

Vektor

Jun 11, 2018
Do you talk about anything else?

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Fabbri would be the best option, if he's able to do it physically. It looks like he needs some time to get into game shape. In the meantime, we can see how things go with Maroon.

But what about leaving Maroon-O'Reilly and moving Tarasenko to Bozak's line?

Maroon-O'Reilly-Steen or Perron (or someone else) become the defensive match-up line.
Fabbri-Bozak-Tarasenko get the offensive zone starts.

I'm not so sure Bozak is well suited for a defensive zone start role anyway, but he has some offensive creativity. By not doing that (keeping the lines as we've seen to this point in camp) it tells me that Yeo is less worried about defensive matching than what we've gotten used to in years past. Maybe his plan is to create the headache for opposing coaches of having dangerous offensive players on every line. This strategy would work great if you win the face-off. This roster seems well suited to winning more face-offs.

So you are willing to rather split up ROR - Tarasenko then Maroon - ROR? Tarasenko has finally gets his #1 center who can play with him, center who is top notch FO dot, great all three areas of game. But you give Tarasenko 3rd line center ala Berglund or Sobotka, in this case Bozak who is such a bit upgrade of Berglund/Sobotka at FO dot + offensively, but easily worse defensively?

Wow just wow

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn

I've pondered this to some degree. Admittedly I almost never see lines on a new roster I envision. I'll try to break my own curse and hope to see Thomas on the PP. Unlike some fans that want to see Tarasenko on the PP slapping one-timers I personally don't think Tarasenko is that great of a PP player. I think Tarasenko is an elite player but I'm content with letting him get 70-80 points creating much of his own offense during even strength.

Here's my vision of the best use of Thomas and one PP unit.

LW - Kyrou
C - Bozak
RW - O'Reilly
LD - Parayko
RD - Thomas

Thomas and Kyrou both are exceptional PP players. Ironically they both create a lot of their PP offense by skating with the puck. It forces the D to move which opens lanes and players and causes screens. The PP where all 5 players pass the puck to stationary players is boring and easy to defend. I want Thomas to be the #1 QB handling the puck as much as possible with Kyrou being #2 QB. Kyrou and O'Reilly are both on their off wings for one timers and both are good at it. Bozak is good at tips and scoring dirty goals in front. Parayko adds the bomb from time to time and a legit D on the ice.

Put Schenn, Schwartz, and Tarasenko on the other PP unit.

Personally I think this is how you elevate both rookie's confidence by letting them excel in the area they're proficient. On top of that I really think it's a legitimate unit.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Schwartz started on the 4th line too, give it a rest. Where else is Thomas supposed to play right now? If he is going to be 4C this season, he better get used to it now.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
So you are willing to rather split up ROR - Tarasenko then Maroon - ROR? Tarasenko has finally gets his #1 center who can play with him, center who is top notch FO dot, great all three areas of game. But you give Tarasenko 3rd line center ala Berglund or Sobotka, in this case Bozak who is such a bit upgrade of Berglund/Sobotka at FO dot + offensively, but easily worse defensively?

Wow just wow

1- Bozak was pretty much the designated C for Phil Kessel. He has plenty of experience playing with a 1-way scoring winger.

2- Bozak wasn’t just put with Kessel because he had the foot speed to keep up with him, he was Toronto’s best defensive C and covered up a lot of Kessel’s defensive lapses. I know that the Leafs fans are pushing an agenda that Bozak is bad defensively, but he absolutely is not. He is easily Stastny level on the defensive side of the puck, and that is a big step up from Berglund/Sobotka.

3- ROR is the shiny new toy and I get that. That said, both ROR and Bozak are roughly on par with Stastny(obviously there’s some variance but all 3 are extremely close in overall impact). Putting Vladdy and Bozak together is not some massive punishment for Vladdy.

Bozak is good. He is a legitimate #2 center on most teams(maybe 7 or 8 that he isn’t). On top of that he is a RHS which is rare for a top 6 C. I get that we really want ROR and Vladdy to show some chemistry, but if that doesn’t work out we have 2 extremely good backup options to fall back on. Bozak is very capable of being a #2 center and we can always put Vladdy back with Schenn/Schwartz.

The good thing about having depth at C is that it gives you multiple options with your wingers. I get that we want to stop experimenting with Vladdy and just watch him rack up the points, but it’s not all about Vladdy. A coach needs to do what’s best for the team and if that means going to option 2 or 3 with Vladdy, then that’s what needs to happen.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

Wow just wow
Its an option. If ROR and Tarasenko don't mesh well. The the option would be to put Tarasenko with Schenn and Schwartz. The point would be to put him on a line that gets heavy offensive zone starts. (I think that's probably already the plan for the ROR line, but the problem is that maybe Bozak and Schenn are less suited for defensive zone starts.

There are several ways to build it. I'm simply looking at which center is best suited for which role.

I don't understand your comment about Berglund/Sobotka. But I think its pretty established from Toronto that Bozak is stronger in the offensive zone, and strong on draws too. If they're playing in the offensive zone, and taking draws in the offensive zone, I'm not really trying to deploy him for defense.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
None of our top 3 C's require sheltering, there really isn't a weak guy there to pick on and line matching shouldn't be a concern. ROR and Bozak win draws often enough to deploy them in any zone without worrying about matchups imo. We're really well set up to just roll lines and concentrate on generating offensive pressure which obviously is as new to us as a concept as our recent center upgrades. I think the focus should be on maximizing our top 6 which is why why we're well into discussing who should be getting ice time there.

i aint Dunn yet

Apr 13, 2015
instead of showing the game on t.v. its a replay of the cards loss from this afternoon ... should be a real ratings grab :thumbd:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad