Half-Assed GDT: Blues Vs Stars - Preseason game #5

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
Gameday Lineup

Forwards: Ivan Barbashev, Sammy Blais, Tyler Bozak, Jordan Kyrou, Pat Maroon, Ryan O'Reilly, David Perron, Brayden Schenn, Jaden Schwartz, Oskar Sundqvist, Vladimir Tarasenko, Robert Thomas
Defense: Jay Bouwmeester, Joel Edmundson, Colton Parayko, Alex Pietrangelo, Jordan Schmaltz, Jake Walman
Goalies: Jake Allen, Ville Husso

good looking out was just going to start one.. like the line combo's.. should be a good match up I think Kyrou is going to go off tonight on that line..

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Poor Robby Thomas stuck with no talent Sundquist and the ever disappointing Barbashev. Expect nothing much from him tonight.

Kyrou on the other hand finally getting his moment in the sun with the line he’s destined for. Expect him to come out flying.

Reactions: Dbrownss

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Poor Robby Thomas stuck with no talent Sundquist and the ever disappointing Barbashev. Expect nothing much from him tonight.

Kyrou on the other hand finally getting his moment in the sun with the line he’s destined for. Expect him to come out flying.
It's honestly like Yeo wants to put him in a position to fail with that around him. Barbashev isn't bad as he has a decent shot and can play some offense. But Sundqvist is a black hole of skill devoid of offense and generally good defense. I know this isn't an actual game but Sundqvist being a fill in should mean he fills in for who's missing, which is Steen.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
I don’t think (read: I hope) that this is just Sunny getting his chance to play a preseason game and see if he has any fit on the fourth line. I have to think that with a healthy steen and Fabbri both barbashev and Sundquist don’t see the lineup. Perhaps Barby plays in Blais place depending on how Sammy does today with third line opportunities.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
the only think I can think of when it comes to Thomas is he has a spot so they are just trying to see what works for him on the 4th line.. otherwise IMO Yeo has done everything he can to make sure Thomas does not make the team..
I the the former is the case here. He’s been third/fourth line center with grinders in every game except when we sent a young roster to Columbus. (He got 3 points that game) at this point he seems to be a lock.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Schwartz-Schenn-Kyrou

28b.png

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
I the the former is the case here. He’s been third/fourth line center with grinders in every game except when we sent a young roster to Columbus. (He got 3 points that game) at this point he seems to be a lock.

You would think but stranger things have happened. I am not a huge Yeo fan so I am hoping he can change my mind..

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
First line I can live with as is but would like to see Fabbri there by game 20.

Second line is fire.

Third line seems like a hobbled together veteran group that’s not defensively inept but is largely unspectacular. I feel this is a placeholder like with leftovers. Having Steen play LW with Bozak and Perron is not a bad setup.

Fourth line is a weak point and won’t see much time unless we manage to play Fabbri or Maroon there with any right wing really.

My preferred lineup looks like this with options labeled by preference:

1Fabbri/2Maroon O’Reilly Tarasenko
Schwartz Schenn Kyrou
Steen Bozak Perron
1Maroon/2Fabbri Thomas 1Blais/2Barby/3Jaskin

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Thomas is just playing his position. I wouldn't read much into his wingers. If that's his spot, then I doubt Yeo is expecting alot of points from him. Doesnt mean he cant still drive the offense there but they're not expecting alot out of him to he move up or better guys slide down

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Barbashev isn't bad but Sundqvist...really? Poor Thomas. Give Thomas Sammy Blais and put Sundqvist with Perron and Bozak.
I think Kyrou on Schenn's wing is probably where he will slot into the line-up if he makes the team.
I think Blais is probably subbing in at Steen's spot, but if Blais and Kyrou both make the team I think maybe that's where Blais actually slots (with Bozak). Then Steen bumps down to be on Thomas' line. This probably assumes no Fabbri (yet). But the reason you don't see Thomas with 'skilled wingers' is that the team are trying to allow these actual lines to develop chemistry in the top 6. We aren't experimenting any more, at least not very much. I think they are projecting Kyrou on that line for real.

People will need to stop thinking about Thomas' line as the 4th line. If a fully healthy roster, we're going to see at least 2 top 9 quality forwards there (Thomas, Fabbri, Steen maybe) not even counting Jaskin or Barbashev who could also be top 9 quality on many teams.

Here's my dream line-up:
Maroon-OReilly-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Kyrou
Perron-Bozak-Blais (somewhat protected line)
Fabbri-Thomas-Steen

You can roll the lines and appoint minutes according to who is playing better. I don't can who is getting paid what salary. And despite what some fans prefer, I don't see Yeo putting two rookies on the same line if he can easily avoid it.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
I like the lines, even the 4th.

I know a lot of people want Thomas to get more offensive chances, but I’m more worried about getting good defensive play from that line. Let Thomas develop his defensive play first and then see if the points come in bigger roles.

Thomas is never going to be a McDavid or Crosby level scorer. He needs to learn NHL level defense just like every other 2-way C in the League has. Start on the bottom with a safety net next to him and then work your way up. The skill will show itself when the rest of his game advances.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
pfff, Yeo blind, keeping Maroon Still 1st line. that guy will rregress Tarasenko's produce and it will be problematic line at d-zone, ROR can't carry alone that line.

Reactions: Chief Steele

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
In regards to Thomas, that's just the spot he has for the season. Thomas as the 4th line center is tremendous depth. He'll eventually move up, but he'll be able to develop his game there like Schwartz did on the 4th. It's more important that he develops his complete game this year than produces points. With a healthy roster, his linemates are going to be good, so I'm not worried.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
It's honestly like Yeo wants to put him in a position to fail with that around him. Barbashev isn't bad as he has a decent shot and can play some offense. But Sundqvist is a black hole of skill devoid of offense and generally good defense. I know this isn't an actual game but Sundqvist being a fill in should mean he fills in for who's missing, which is Steen.
Or, its like Yeo already knows Thomas made the team as the 4th line's center and Fabbri and Steen are out, so he doesn't have his usual linemates. Thomas is going to have to drive a line with players like Barbashev, Jaskin, maybe Maroon. This is no different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad