Pre-Game Talk: Blues vs Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
This is going to be a rough one. St. Louis is big and they play like it. There are some players on this team that disappear against teams like St. Louis, hopefully that isn't the case. I expect an intense game, though.

They need to come out of it healthy if they can get points, great.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
There are 8 Ontario boys plus Alex Steen and Tyler Bozak on the Blues. They will not mail in a typical October game.

However they know the Leafs won’t bring a physical game and may not bring their intensity.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I can’t believe how many of you guys have that much angst over what Kapanen did. It was game 3 of the regular season not game 7 of the Cup Finals. Sheesh.

I've never been a Kapanen fan, but this should go without saying. Dumb play, just as dumb as any other boneheaded play.

We're just less used to seeing them now that Kadri is gone!

Reactions: supermann_98

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I dont expect some physical onslaught from the Blues.
It's a Monday game... Toronto likely feeling that loss and will be prepared.

I expect a 1 goal game... low score. How Babcock wants the team to play.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
This won't go over well, but I believe St Louis has become overrated. They've been a fringe team for the longest time and barely squeaked into the playoffs last year. Obviously they won the cup, but they were never expected to, and never seen as one of the elite teams. Probably one of the flukiest cup wins in recent memory. Some regression could definitely be expected for them.
I believe we are more of a contender than they are this year.

Tonight should be a good game though. No doubt we are outmatched physically, but at the same time we definitely have way more skill.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
One area that stands out to me, despite our relatively weak schedule so far, is:

HDCF%: 43%
High Danger Chances For: 43
High Danger Chances Against: 55
High Danger Goals Against: 7 (14% conversion rate by opponents, 6th worst in the league)

For regular scoring chances we are around even, but we're way behind average in High Danger metrics. Giving up way too many primo chances...if we're going to play like this, we need to create more high danger chances to offset that.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
This won't go over well, but I believe St Louis has become overrated. They've been a fringe team for the longest time and barely squeaked into the playoffs last year. Obviously they won the cup, but they were never expected to, and never seen as one of the elite teams. Probably one of the flukiest cup wins in recent memory. Some regression could definitely be expected for them.

Tonight should be a good game though. No doubt we are outmatched physically, but at the same time we definitely have way more skill.

Everything has to come together at the right time, as it did with them. Goaltending being one of the most important aspects

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This will be a good test for the Leafs stylistically as they don't match up well against teams that play big, heavy games other than speed.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I can’t believe how many of you guys have that much angst over what Kapanen did. It was game 3 of the regular season not game 7 of the Cup Finals. Sheesh.
Agreed, although I think it has something to do with how terrible he's been all year so far, including preseason

Reactions: kb

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
One area that stands out to me, despite our relatively weak schedule so far, is:

HDCF%: 43%
High Danger Chances For: 43
High Danger Chances Against: 55
High Danger Goals Against: 7 (14% conversion rate by opponents, 6th worst in the league)

For regular scoring chances we are around even, but we're way behind average in High Danger metrics. Giving up way too many primo chances...if we're going to play like this, we need to create more high danger chances to offset that.
3-2 HDGF against Ottawa
0-0 HDGF against Columbus
2-2 HDGF against Montreal

Sure the chances aren't equal but Toronto has done a good job so far of converting or keeping it the same when getting those chances.

Also I'd like for you to look up relative HDCF% or relative SCF% and it's quite clear that the Tavares line has been struggling. I'd like to see a few more games before talking about mixing the lines.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
3-2 HDGF against Ottawa
0-0 HDGF against Columbus
2-2 HDGF against Montreal

Sure the chances aren't equal but Toronto has done a good job so far of converting or keeping it the same when getting those chances.

Also I'd like for you to look up relative HDCF% or relative SCF% and it's quite clear that the Tavares line has been struggling. I'd like to see a few more games before talking about mixing the lines.

I specifically watch the Leafs for Tavares, and sadly, his SCF% and HDCF% numbers have been really ugly. I would say his line has easily been the worst on the team. He and Marner look dangerous on the PP, but 5v5 they are REALLY struggling.

Reactions: mikelb7

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
upload_2019-10-7_6-23-22.jpeg

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Provide a few examples of how it’s one of the flukiest wins in recent memory and explain how they squeaked into the playoffs?

Did you watch their entire playoff run?

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I specifically watch the Leafs for Tavares, and sadly, his SCF% and HDCF% numbers have been really ugly. I would say his line has easily been the worst on the team. He and Marner look dangerous on the PP, but 5v5 they are REALLY struggling.

Tavares himself hasn't looked terrible, but he has not been to the level he was last year. I think that has more to do with Kapanen and Marner struggling than him though, and he's just feeling the weight of having to drag them. He's looking more like Long Island Tavares when he had to spend much of his career dragging far inferior line mates.

Marner and Kapanen need to be better. Marner's 5 points in 3 games are a façade compared to how good he has actually been to start thus far. Nylander has looked more dangerous than Marner IMO.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Provide a few examples of how it’s one of the flukiest wins in recent memory and explain how they squeaked into the playoffs?

Did you watch their entire playoff run?

Probably saying that because they never had to go up against any #1 seeds. Just three #2's and a WC. Plus there were some documented cases where calls went their way (i.e. the Bozak goal in the SCF).

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Blues have been a good team 2019. They were not a good team before this year (the current iteration).

I don't think we've seen the best of the Leafs yet, by any stretch.

I think the 3rd. and 4th. lines have been fine, but Tavares line has been disappointing at even strength.

Maybe they'd like to try a left winger on the Tavares line rather than a recently converted RW?

Reactions: supermann_98
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad