GDT: Blues vs. Coyotes| 7pm -- FSMW| Can we make it 3?|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton McKnight

He left, get over it!
Feb 6, 2009
Siloam Springs
Hated the first half of the first period. After that the Blues changed how they played and didn't make me want to cringe over a Yotes game. That 6 on 5 goal was a tough one that had some tick tack toe that was hard for the D to stop.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Great game! Best game of the year for Krug, Blais, Hoffman and maybe even Parayko. Time for overreactions!

Don't trade Dunn! Re-sign Hoffman! Give Binnington whatever he wants! Sundqvist for MVP! Build a statue for Justin Faulk!

We need a billionaire owner

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
The notion that Armstrong will not protect Faulk or Krug is fanciful. The team targeted those guys, gave them long term deals, and they’re not playing poorly. They’ll both certainly be protected. I realize it was trendy to plan to expose Faulk while he struggled a bit last season, but that’s not realistic at this point.

Mikkola or Dunn could be lost. Sanford or Sundqvist are on that list too. I’m resigned to the notion the Blues will lose a guy we’d rather keep. But it would be a mistake to get too fancy trying to make deals to protect anyone from that list and wind up giving additional assets.
Teams will have an idea of who Seattle might be looking at before they get to the expansion draft. That's why you'll see deals made where the expansion team gets something in exchange for agreeing not to pick some player. Or, they'll talk and the established team will say "we want you to take this player, here's something for you if you'll do that." It'll be the same with us. Seattle can only take one player; you're basically asking who on the unprotected list you think you can't live without and trying to steer Seattle to everyone else. Throw on all the rules that apply to who Seattle has to take (# of players at each position, % of cap) and it kind of whittles down who will be under serious consideration. (Read: the Kraken can't just load up on guys making $750K.)

Let's get through this season and see what our roster looks like when we're done with the playoffs, then worry about what to do with the expansion draft. Just like all the hot takes about this team's direction and how certain players were doing through 6 games, a lot of things can and will change in the months ahead and we might well decide yeah, I'm really OK without ____ being here.

Reactions: stl76 and Brian39

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Really liked the fact that Berube put Kyrou out there on 4-on-4 with ROR which ultimately lead to the 4th goal. Although it's probably cause Perron was in the box at the time, but Kyrou is definitely beginning to earn Berube's trust. What a dynamic and exciting player to watch, I'm still waiting for Thomas to make this type of emergence.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Really liked the fact that Berube put Kyrou out there on 4-on-4 with ROR which ultimately lead to the 4th goal. Although it's probably cause Perron was in the box at the time, but Kyrou is definitely beginning to earn Berube's trust. What a dynamic and exciting player to watch, I'm still waiting for Thomas to make this type of emergence.
Kyrou also got a shift with about 4 minutes left and the team up 2. Usually not a place to put a guy who you don’t trust defensively. Also telling that Mikkola was tasked with the 5 on 3 kill and I believe a bit of the opposing goalie empty net situation.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Teams will have an idea of who Seattle might be looking at before they get to the expansion draft. That's why you'll see deals made where the expansion team gets something in exchange for agreeing not to pick some player. Or, they'll talk and the established team will say "we want you to take this player, here's something for you if you'll do that." It'll be the same with us. Seattle can only take one player; you're basically asking who on the unprotected list you think you can't live without and trying to steer Seattle to everyone else. Throw on all the rules that apply to who Seattle has to take (# of players at each position, % of cap) and it kind of whittles down who will be under serious consideration. (Read: the Kraken can't just load up on guys making $750K.)

Let's get through this season and see what our roster looks like when we're done with the playoffs, then worry about what to do with the expansion draft. Just like all the hot takes about this team's direction and how certain players were doing through 6 games, a lot of things can and will change in the months ahead and we might well decide yeah, I'm really OK without ____ being here.
Well, if we can’t make any forecasts about the expansion situation, I retract my comments. :DD

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I remember taking so much crap for having Kyrou as a 1st rounder in the 2016 NHL draft and Thompson as a late 2nd/early 3rd. The were some really mean-spirited arguments on here about that after the draft when the Blues took Thompson in the first, about Kyrou's upside, and about my not liking the Thompson pick in general.

It took a long time coming, but man the vindication sure feels nice.

Truth being told I knew very little about Kyrou when we drafted him. The first time I actually got to see him in action was at the 2017 prospect camp. This what what I put in my write up on him.

72 - JORDAN KYROU (F) In my honest opinion the only player at the camp that was on the same level with Walman. He excelled at nearly every drill and displayed off the charts hockey IQ. I think he registered at least one point in every scrimmage I saw and more often than not drove the play every time he was on the ice. Showed some nice chemistry with Thompson setting him up on multiple occasions. His skating and edge work is near elite and he does it effortlessly. He can stickhandle in a phone both and has the vision to find pucks in traffic. Honestly I am sitting here trying to think of a criticism of his game and the only thing I can think of is maybe working on his two way game.

I was accused at times for overhyping him, not just on here but from my friends and colleagues at work. It feels nice to see many of the things I typed up in that prospect report play out on NHL ice now 4 years later.

Also, why I am at it. This what was what I wrote about Mikkola that same year.

78 - NIKO MIKKOLA (D) If there is one word I would use to describe Mikkola it would be "calm." Kid has ice in his veins he can be under pressure in the corners and he constantly makes the right play. He plays a very cerebral defensive game and has solid positioning. What he lacks is any kind of offensive game. He has a decent shot but often looks lost with the puck on his stick in the offensive zone.

Mar 6, 2012
I had honestly kinda given up on Kyrou. He felt like one of those guys who would have a 3-4 year career in the NHL putting up like 10-15 points each year before getting traded a few times and fading out.

He had all the tools and elite skating but didn't seem strong enough or competitive enough to have success in the NHL... Usually if someone is going to be a difference maker in the NHL, you can see that pretty early in their career. Kyrou would show flashes, but was mostly ineffective out there.

Very different this year. He looks like a completely different player. Very happy to be wrong...

Joshuar56

Apr 11, 2019
I think Schwartz and Schenn have really rubbed off on him. He’s relentless at both ends of the ice. His speed makes him one of the best back checkers I’ve ever seen on the blues. He’s always breaking plays up.

Joshuar56

Apr 11, 2019
And he is great, both by eye test and numbers. And he didn't win.
He finished second right behind RoR. It’s true that wingers don’t win it nearly as much as centers, but Datsyuk’s and Bergeron’s strangle hold on the award I think has more to do with wingers not winning it recently. Wingers have still won the award about 20% of the time. But I don’t think we’re going to see Schwartz nominated for it any time soon. I’m not sure he’s the best defensive forward on that line even.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
He finished second right behind RoR. It’s true that wingers don’t win it nearly as much as centers, but Datsyuk’s and Bergeron’s strangle hold on the award I think has more to do with wingers not winning it recently. Wingers have still won the award about 20% of the time. But I don’t think we’re going to see Schwartz nominated for it any time soon. I’m not sure he’s the best defensive forward on that line even.
A winger hasn't won the award in the salary cap era and in that time there have been 9 different winners. There have been 9 years where a center not named Bergeron or Datsyuk have won the Selke since the last winger won it.

I think it is silly, but voters have by and large stopped considering wingers for the award. It seems that being great at the faceoff dot has become a requirement for the award and that is held against wingers. The winner of the Selke has been at least 53% at the dot every year since that became an officially tracked stat and over 55% every year but two. Brind'Amour and Draper both won before the stat was officially tracked but both had reputations as elite faceoff guys. Again, I think it is silly that this is a reason to exclude wingers, but the award voters clearly put large emphasis into faceoffs to evaluate defensive play.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
It theoretically is but who was last winger to win it?
Jere Lehtinen in 2003. Wingers won 11 of the 27 years it was awarded before the lockout. And haven't won since, plus only three wingers have been nominees since the lockout, Lehtinen(2006), Pandolfo(2007), and Stone(2019)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranksu

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Also, why I am at it. This what was what I wrote about Mikkola that same year.
Ransku has been hyping up Mikkola forever, but he always hypes up Finns (I don't blame him), however Mikkola has been really really steady in the d-zone and the dude NEVER lets anyone get clean looks in the corner. He is really efficient at pinning guys to the wall and making them force their way into a good scoring chance, an attribute that I haven't really seen be used as much as Mikkola uses it.

I had honestly kinda given up on Kyrou. He felt like one of those guys who would have a 3-4 year career in the NHL putting up like 10-15 points each year before getting traded a few times and fading out.

He had all the tools and elite skating but didn't seem strong enough or competitive enough to have success in the NHL... Usually if someone is going to be a difference maker in the NHL, you can see that pretty early in their career. Kyrou would show flashes, but was mostly ineffective out there.

Very different this year. He looks like a completely different player. Very happy to be wrong...
Yea I think there is always worry with a talented guy like Kyrou who takes a few years to develop. He has the hands, the passing, elite skating; he had everything to make it work and you wonder how long it would take him to take that next step. Yakupov was a speedy guy who had a bomb for a shot BUT didn't seem to have good decision making. I think that's what sets Kyrou apart from those other players who had plenty of tools to be successful at the NHL level. You see plenty of guys who are smaller forwards that are making 6, 7, 8+ million a year, so I was never super worried about Kyrou's strength or weight. His compete level though AND his determination are what's setting him apart from everyone in the league (ok not everyone) and this team. Just goes to show you how important and effective playing every shift at 100% is.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Well, if we can’t make any forecasts about the expansion situation, I retract my comments. :DD
You know I'm not saying don't make forecasts. I'm just saying not to get too caught up in the present; look longer-term. Hell, it was just a few days ago that people were practically volunteering to drive Dunn to whatever team he was getting traded to. Now, he's on the list of players we're trying to figure out how to keep if they're not on the protected list. Whatever his status is with the front office, it didn't do a 180 after the 2-game series with Arizona.

It's OK to say "if the expansion draft were today, here's what I think." I just wouldn't be making decisions today based on something that's still months out in the future. IMO you go through that feeling-out process like I described, see what you can learn, see what other teams are thinking, try to position yourself as best you can. Hell, you might find out someone's going to expose a player you'd like to have, and you try to strike a deal where Seattle picks that guy and then flips him to you. Lots of considerations, and some of them might change depending on what you learn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad