GDT: Blues vs Avs 7pm MDT: Low effort edition

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
As said before: Bad feeling about that game. But hey, at least we got a loser-point. So that´s ok for only playing one period of good hockey. :thumbu:

Should be intersting the next time we meet the Blues. There were some borderline actions in this game.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Sucks to not get the W but if we can keep forcing our losses to come in overtime and get these loser points we'll be alright. We have the lowest amount of regulation losses in the league now at just 6 after 26 games.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I absolutely hate the fact that a team came to Denver with the game plan of gooning it up and won the game. Hitting Mack and our smaller guys should never become an effective way to win against us. Teams will know what to do.

The thing that sucks about it is that we have more to lose if we retaliate and it escalates from there.

Honestly, I think the best thing the Ava can do is to send in a tape of every questionable play to the league with the implication being if Colorado retaliates and things get out of control, the league is culpable. The Avs would be getting their objections on the record so the can later publicly shame the league, if it comes to that.

Gooning it up shouldn’t entitle St Louis to this kind of life support.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
EJ is such a moron at times. Rocks for brains on that play.
How does that play indicate he has rocks for brains?

He just watched Steen flatten MacKinnon (great hit), and obviously took Steen's number. The only unfortunate part of the hit is Steen’s head is like 4 feet from the ground.

Feet stayed on the ice, elbow tucked right in, not blindside. A tad late, and head contact but it’s a fast game.

If Landeskog just layed our Tarasenko, and Pietrangelo hit Landeskog like that right after, I’d be pissed too as an Avs fan, but it isn’t moronic on Pietrangelo’s part.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Will be interesting to see what happens with EJ. I can't see a suspension (surprise surprise) but because it's EJ, the head was involved and Steen being hurt you never know. Hopefully one of the B's is ready to go Sunday if EJ is out; otherwise we are in deep, deep trouble.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Z was good defensively in OT last year. Didn’t provide much offense but maybe this team should be trying to get to the shootout.
He doesn’t try to do too much which is perfect offensively. When you’re on the ice with Mackinnon and Rantanen and you’re able to poke the puck free and get it to one of them your job is already done.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I thought Kerfoot had an awful game last night. Coughed the puck up 2-3 times right in front of the Avs net, and lost almost every puck battle he was involved in. Jost had his moments, but he wasn't great either. The 17-13-22 line desperately needs someone who can finish, as Wilson is clearly not the guy.

Varly was great.

Thought the defense played very well considering the bodies they're missing. Alt didn't look super out of place, and Zadorov had one of his best games.

The giveaways last night were out of control. Blues could've easily had 2-3 more goals with the giveaways right in front of Varly.

Despite the loss, there was a lot to like about that game. They battled back from being down 2-0, down a top-2 defenseman, and killing a 3 minute powerplay and took the game to OT. No way in hell this team manages that two years ago. This team is growing, and it was nice to see them battle back in a physical game, that'll help them moving forward.

Reactions: Foppberg

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I was listening to the game on the radio for EJ’s hit.......was Steen hurt? I can’t remember if I saw him in the 3rd on not.

Last edited:

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I am not sure how anyone can characterize this as a forearm or elbow to the head when EJ's arm is held tightly to his body.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Imo he was already committed to the hit when he was bent over. It doesn't look great, but I don't think he did it with intent to injure or anything close to that.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
The hit was illegal. The call on the ice was wrong because it clearly wasn’t an elbow, but the initial contact was shoulder to head. EJ needs to learn when to back off of those big hits when the opposing player is in a defenseless position like that.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
I thought Kerfoot had an awful game last night. Coughed the puck up 2-3 times right in front of the Avs net, and lost almost every puck battle he was involved in. Jost had his moments, but he wasn't great either. The 17-13-22 line desperately needs someone who can finish, as Wilson is clearly not the guy.

Varly was great.

Thought the defense played very well considering the bodies they're missing. Alt didn't look super out of place, and Zadorov had one of his best games.

The giveaways last night were out of control. Blues could've easily had 2-3 more goals with the giveaways right in front of Varly.

Despite the loss, there was a lot to like about that game. They battled back from being down 2-0, down a top-2 defenseman, and killing a 3 minute powerplay and took the game to OT. No way in hell this team manages that two years ago. This team is growing, and it was nice to see them battle back in a physical game, that'll help them moving forward.
That's why I want to see JTC moved to that line. I would also like to see Wilson taken off the #1 PP line because he seems to be flubbing up some great scoring chances. Why not see if the roomies can create some on-ice chemistry.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
The hit was illegal. The call on the ice was wrong because it clearly wasn’t an elbow, but the initial contact was shoulder to head. EJ needs to learn when to back off of those big hits when the opposing player is in a defenseless position like that.

Was Zadorov's big hit on Scheifele a couple of years ago illegal? Scheifele was leaning forward and Z's shoulder hit his head initially. The league did not impose any supplemental discipline in that case.

zadorovschiefele-577x339.jpg

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I don’t think he targeted the head, but he definitely hit it IMO he might get a game.

I think a bit of a trend is starting to show with the Avs playing worse against teams that are more physical. Look at the games against Calgary, as soon as they started throwing their bodies around we fell out of the game. St. Louis aren’t as big and bad as before, but a team like Winnipeg in playoffs might be an issue.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
EJ has a history, it's a hit to the head, Steen is injured, and he clearly went after him in response to the hit on MacKinnon. You never know with the NHL so the Avs might get lucky but this seems like a pretty easy call for them. He's likely getting suspended and it wouldn't be surprising if it's multiple games.

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
EJ is cursed with being 6'3". His shoulders will be at head height for most anyone slightly bent over. Reminds me of the Doughty check in the playoffs, but much less obvious. Doughty is cursed with the same height issue, same with Z. Don't usually see shorter d-men getting called out on this. Not sure what the answer is.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Why do people keep hyping Varlamov’s performance last night? It wasn’t that impressive. Tarasenko’s goal was saveable. The effort on the last goal was embarrassing. How many times did he almost give away a goal by coughing up the puck?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad