GDT: Blues vs Avs 7pm MDT: Low effort edition

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Girard is ****ing terrible on 3 v 3. He thinks he's better than he actually is and that gets him in trouble when he goes 1 v 1 with talented players. That was a bad goal to give up by Varlamov, but he kept us in the game so I won't blame him.

crue7

Jul 30, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
What's even worse than the overtime, the ammount of giveaways by the Avs tonight in their own D-zone. I don't think my hands can count the number of times our player (d most of the time) gave just a perfect pass right on the tape of a Blues player. Just absolutely horrible.

I'm gonna go ahead and echo this. Giveaway after giveaway in the D zone all night. It was ugly ugly hockey.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
The amount the Blues paid for O'Reilly is a huge steal, they fleeced the Sabres. Crazy how ROR is still getting better every season. Easily the second best players on the Blues after Allen.

The only saving grace is that for some reason the Blues are horrible this year, but realistically it was a mid/late round 1st, a bunch of dime a dozen veterans, and a decent prospect.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Blues acting like they have something to play for this year LOL

They do, they have to get above Ottawa for us :sarcasm:

Sucks to lose but we got a point and gave two to a team we actually wanted to have more points.

The coaching staff needs to throw away their OT plan and start from scratch. With their talent they shouldn’t be this bad.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
EJ will fall under scrutiny for a repeat offence and get suspended 3 games.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
What's even worse than the overtime, the ammount of giveaways by the Avs tonight in their own D-zone. I don't think my hands can count the number of times our player (d most of the time) gave just a perfect pass right on the tape of a Blues player. Just absolutely horrible.
I agree. Cole probably had his worst game as an av. On the other hand Z was a f***ing beast. Played great on d, moved the puck real well and of course his hits.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Girard is ****ing terrible on 3 v 3. He thinks he's better than he actually is and that gets him in trouble when he goes 1 v 1 with talented players. That was a bad goal to give up by Varlamov, but he kept us in the game so I won't blame him.

Happened on the last power play with Girard too. He was trying to do it all himself to start the breakout, ROR was all over him, and he refused to defer. Ending up dumping it back towards MacK (25 feet off his tape), and they had to reset.

The OT goal was a mess. Varly could easily have gotten there.

And yeah EJ is getting a suspension for a little while. They need Barrie back asap. I think Cole got a little overexposed today as we were warned. Just brutal puck handling.

Reactions: S E P H

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Very hard to be good in OT when you never win faceoffs. So hard to get the puck back then they are tire when they get it and make a stupid play to lose again.

Rant is trying way too hard for the last 2-3 games. He is holding on to the puck way too long. He tries to go through 2-3 players way too often instead of using the open ice and attract two players towrds him like he was doing before. The other teams know this now and just stick to him like glue.

Second line was bad tonight.

Glad with the point though.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I think Girard is at fault for the OT goal but that's where Varly being arguably the worst puck handling goalie in the league hurt. He's just never going to come out and try to make a play on that when he probably could have.

Reactions: KingSizeKirby

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
What they're doing in OT hasn't worked but I can't complain about them going with MacKinnon, Rantanen, and Barrie/Girard. I don't think Cole needs to be out there in a 3-on-3 situation. Go for the win every time. Unfortunately, they lose every time.

Hornstar

Feb 3, 2018
I thought Cole played well. He did have a couple bone head turnovers but which D guy didn't? Kerfoot was flying but not much help. Just stepped backwards tonight. I was hoping he'd keep stepping the right direction. Girard was awful

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I'm not sure how I can explain it if you didn't understand it from that post.

I understood your reasoning. I’ll make myself clearer then: actively cheering for a division rival to get at least a point, against the Avs, a quarter into the season (which means they can very logically bounce back and take our ****ing playoff spot), is so inexplicably inane to me under ANY circumstances.

I want the Avs to win every single game against division rivals who are very much still in it, and I want the opposition to get zero points, not one, and certainly not at the risk of two (which they did).

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
We are 8-0-2 in our last 10; that's fantastic. Tonight we had a bad game but i'm sure the next one will be better. Good night everyone.
Varly is the reason we got a point. He nearly blew the game a few times, but he got through it.

I don't want to talk about OT because it's a waste of time.

We missed a ton of good chances, but our secondary scoring looked dangerous again. It's been over 10 games now where we've had some good secondary scoring and our record is pretty solid.

Allen played his best game of the year by a long shot. ST Louis isn't making the playoffs, they didn't look good despite winning.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
I understood your reasoning. I’ll make myself clearer then: actively cheering for a division rival to get at least a point, against the Avs, a quarter into the season (which means they can very logically bounce back and take our ****ing playoff spot), is so inexplicably inane to me under ANY circumstances.

I want the Avs to win every single game against division rivals who are very much still in it, and I want the opposition to get zero points, not one, and certainly not at the risk of two (which they did).

If they take our playoff spot we are better off with a higher draft pick, not like we'd be able to do anything in the playoffs.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
On the bright side, we have the least amount of regulation losses in the league. Our last regulation lost was November 9th. We only need 60 points to hit 95 points. We have 56 games remaining. We need to be slightly better than .500 to make the playoffs.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
So they did better than I expected tonight. I was expecting a loss but I guess if your gonna lose you might as well get a point of it. This team with all the talent they have should not be this horrid in OT. Not quite sure what Girard was thinking on that play. He looked like my little sister when I play hockey against her playing keep away. Varly also did not look good there. I think i'll save myself from watching the full game for now. I guess now the streak is undefeated in regulation in the last whatever. Onto the next.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad