GDT: Blues vs Avs 7pm MDT: Low effort edition

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It would have looked a lot different had the top line finished some of their chances. Allen was doing no look grabs of the puck with his toes as they were sliding towards the goal line lol. Oh and if we could stop taking penalties in the offensive zone..

I don't have a problem with how they played, but I don't think they held their composure either. The energy and push back was nice, but they need to learn how to do it without ****ing themselves over. I wouldn't say they were pushed around by any means, but they were sucked into a game where the next hit seemed more important than the next goal.

And that's where I'd like for the Avs to figure out a way to generate more traffic in front of the net and get a guy who's specialty is to pounce on rebounds and deflect shots.

To their credit they really are generating more traffic and sending people in to crash the net but their offense doesn't have the luxury of a true net-front presence, like, say, a Wayne Simmonds. And if a defense is particularly good at boxing out/blocking shots/clearing rebounds then the Avs D, which is very dependent on generating shots from high and snipes from the slot and tops of the circle, gets stymied. They've run into this problem with STL and also had a hell of a time against DAL as well right up until the end (and both the 2nd and 3rd goals by the Avs were of the pure garbage/blue collar variety. That's all a team like that'll give you). They're too dependent on shooting from distance and when that's gets shut down effectively, they get pretty pretty damned flustered.

Seriously though, remember how automatic Marek Svatos was? And that's because dude could hold his own in the slot and was phenomenal at pouncing on rebounds. You can't teach that. I see guys like Jost TRY to be that type of forward, but he's way, way too slow to react and can't fight his way to loose pucks in the slot like Svats did. That's why I'd like for the Avs to make a priority of getting that guy. Simmonds himself is probably too old, but there are others out there who fit the bill...or I suppose Cam Morrison could be the answer from within, but I doubt he makes the NHL.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
Jost will get there I don't have any doubts. were only seeing the start of Josts little rise so far rants is ahead of where I placed him and josts a little back.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
And that's where I'd like for the Avs to figure out a way to generate more traffic in front of the net and get a guy who's specialty is to pounce on rebounds and deflect shots.

To their credit they really are generating more traffic and sending people in to crash the net but their offense doesn't have the luxury of a true net-front presence, like, say, a Wayne Simmonds. And if a defense is particularly good at boxing out/blocking shots/clearing rebounds then the Avs D, which is very dependent on generating shots from high and snipes from the slot and tops of the circle, gets stymied. They've run into this problem with STL and also had a hell of a time against DAL as well right up until the end (and both the 2nd and 3rd goals by the Avs were of the pure garbage/blue collar variety. That's all a team like that'll give you). They're too dependent on shooting from distance and when that's gets shut down effectively, they get pretty pretty damned flustered.

Seriously though, remember how automatic Marek Svatos was? And that's because dude could hold his own in the slot and was phenomenal at pouncing on rebounds. You can't teach that. I see guys like Jost TRY to be that type of forward, but he's way, way too slow to react and can't fight his way to loose pucks in the slot like Svats did. That's why I'd like for the Avs to make a priority of getting that guy. Simmonds himself is probably too old, but there are others out there who fit the bill...or I suppose Cam Morrison could be the answer from within, but I doubt he makes the NHL.
Could have gone after JVR. :naughty:

Reactions: Pokecheque

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
And if your hoping jost can reach the levels of Simmonds ect for that presence you will be very disappointed hes more of a smaller two way winger like a small toews on wing.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Not really. Why? Goalies league wide are doing this routinely.

No they're not. In fact, apart from last night, Jake Allen has done the exact opposite of that. So has Martin Jones, James Reimer, hell, even Connor Hellebuyck has been decidedly pedestrian to start the season. Goaltending across the board has been pretty inconsistent. There's no surefire elite netminder anywhere in the league.

Not every goal a top-flight goalie lets in has to be some highlight-reel masterpiece. In the Avs win over the Preds, the first one Pekka Rinne let in was atrocious, but I certainly wouldn't pin their loss on him. He made plenty of other big saves to keep his team in it.

If you're expecting Semyon Varlamov to be the Russian Patrick Roy then it's understandable you're disappointed. Fact of the matter is that he's the starting goalie for the currently-5th-best team in the National Hockey League, a team that still hasn't quite fixed their defensive and puck possession issues.

Now there's a difference between giving Varly the credit he deserves and pushing for a new contract extension. I'm fine if the Avs ultimately decide to move on (though Grubauer hasn't yet won me over by any means). But if you want to create some false narrative about how we're all his apologists then knock yerself out.

Reactions: McMetal

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
yeah, going to be tough we need to see some games from the Frenchman to evaluate the situation more

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
Yeah I know. but we were In for a loss not to mentioned being down a couple special d-dam for the game. And whoever said Alt was a superior siemens last year when we got him is nuts the guy has more puck skill but is so hard to watch has zero confidence.

i'd rather Barbs in for 82 games

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
And if your hoping jost can reach the levels of Simmonds ect for that presence you will be very disappointed hes more of a smaller two way winger like a small toews on wing.

No, I don't think he'll be that guy, it's good to see he's willing to do that, just like Kerfoot, and get the occasional garbage goal, but it's not really in his wheelhouse. His shot is what I think will make him into a mainstay scoring forward, not any sort of mucking it up in front of the net. I think if anyone does that among the various prospects it'll be Cameron Morrison, but I'm not too keen on his chances of making it to the NHL right now. I haven't seen enough of A.J. Greer to know how he scores most of his goals but maybe he could be that guy...y'know, if he ever gets a legit shot to stick in the lineup.

The good news is they have much better net-front presence than when they had to rely on guys like Rene Bourque and Daniel Briere to do the hard work in the slot area.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
So after registering a big win against the Avs on Friday, the Blues lose 6-1 at Arizona, while being outshot 44-26. It was a back-to-back game, which can be tough, but wow.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Imo he was already committed to the hit when he was bent over. It doesn't look great, but I don't think he did it with intent to injure or anything close to that.
I agree but Steen got what he deserved , good on EJ

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
I just looked at the league leaders in save %. Do you realize that all 30 qualifiers have a save percentage over .900? Everything favors the goalies these days. You could put a corpse in goalie equipment and it will probably have a save % of at least .870. Moreover, are you aware that the 15th best qualifier has a % of .922? Given that for every winner there’s a loser. .919 puts him in the bottom half. And in the case of this game, Allen’s save % puts him in the top half. Not only is .919 not that great but if you look at the bad goals, it looks even worse.
Yet Grubauer save % is .904 and goals against 3.06

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Was Zadorov's big hit on Scheifele a couple of years ago illegal? Scheifele was leaning forward and Z's shoulder hit his head initially. The league did not impose any supplemental discipline in that case.

zadorovschiefele-577x339.jpg

When I say illegal I mean it’s a penalty. I said nothing whatsoever about supplemental action

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I’m so confused. We’re arguing about Varlamov’s SP as a 919 in one singular game not being good enough.

He’s got a 930 this season. 5th overall amongst goalies with minimum 10 games played.

Who gives a s**t if he lets in 2 bad goals, or 2 amazing goals.
It’s still 2 goals. This league has always been score 3. That’s how you have a legitimate chance of winning games. All goalies let in bad goals. All goalies let in deflating goals. All goalies have weak nights.

Our backup is posting a 904.

And people are complaining about his play in 1 game?

Ugh. The requirement for perfection from goaltenders seems unusually high around here.

Reactions: 5280

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad