Pre-Game Talk: Blues vs Avalanche - Round 1 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
i will be making game 3 thread folks. will be my first threads since i made them for games 4 5 and 6 vs Ref Jose.

refs officially are on the clock

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
i will be making game 3 thread folks. will be my first threads since i made them for games 4 5 and 6 vs Ref Jose.

refs officially are on the clock

What does you making the GDT have to do with the series or the refs? Is the league going to read the thread and realize the refs have been bad? Is your passionate prose going to drive Blues fans throughout the world to riot and rush the league offices? Is O'Reilly going to read your post to the team before the game to inspire them to greatness? Are you going to wear your lucky underwear too, just to make doubly sure whatever cosmic mojo you command can pull this off? Or is it all just Bluster? Inquiring minds want to know.

Reactions: dahrougem2

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
What does you making the GDT have to do with the series or the refs? Is the league going to read the thread and realize the refs have been bad? Is your passionate prose going to drive Blues fans throughout the world to riot and rush the league offices? Is O'Reilly going to read your post to the team before the game to inspire them to greatness? Are you going to wear your lucky underwear too, just to make doubly sure whatever cosmic mojo you command can pull this off? Or is it all just Bluster? Inquiring minds want to know.
I am their good luck charm. Whenever I make a playoff GDT the team wins.

Game 6 vs Dallas
Game 4 5 6 vs Ref Jose

All WINS

Reactions: Reality Czech

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I am their good luck charm. Whenever I make a playoff GDT the team wins.

Game 6 vs Dallas
Game 4 5 6 vs Ref Jose

All WINS

:biglaugh:ROFL Cosmic mojo it is then. Don't forget to wear your lucky underoos, and to keep the number of lines in the post to a multiple of your lucky number. We don't want to risk you upsetting the hockey gods and thus lose such a powerful weapon. That way next year you can do every GDT, and we can be the first team to go undefeated. We'll all make a fortune on bets.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
hey guys Leafs fan coming in peace. Any news on Faulk? I tried google can't find any info. I hope he is fine.

Also when is Perron expected back for you guys?

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
hey guys Leafs fan coming in peace. Any news on Faulk? I tried google can't find any info. I hope he is fine.

Also when is Perron expected back for you guys?
perron will be back as soon as the league decides that he does not have covid anymore.

faulk is probably out for a while now. would be shocked if he returns in this series.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Cotton McKnight

He left, get over it!
Feb 6, 2009
Siloam Springs
perron will be back as soon as the league decides that he does not have covid anymore.

faulk is probably out for a while now. would be shocked if he returns in this series.

It was hard to see Faulk go down, by far and away our best defensive player of this season.

Not sure if Perron can help us turn this around, but sure would like to see him putting some hard pucks on the net with his return.

Hopeful but not expecting.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
If Dunn can’t play as well as Bortuzzo(already expecting Faulk to miss time), the 3rd pairing is going to not be very good...

I don’t even know what the pairings are going to be aside from Krug being 1st pairing. Move Parayko up and who’d play RD for second pairing?

Cotton McKnight

He left, get over it!
Feb 6, 2009
Siloam Springs
The D is in shambles, I am ready to see the youngsters learn a bit in the playoffs.

For the rest of the series I hope we hit hard and come out to play regardless if we're winning or losing 10-0.

I'd rather this team go down fighting for goals versus whimpering and doing nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ridge1982

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
Sorry not sorry eh? You started a fight, didn't get quiet agreement, and then played the victim, congrats.

For the rest of us that are OK with people having opinions about a game:

The D is in shambles, I am ready to see the youngsters learn a bit in the playoffs.

For the rest of the series I hope we hit hard and come out to play regardless if we're winning or losing 10-0.

I'd rather this team go down fighting for goals versus whimpering and doing nothing.

What youngsters are you referring to?

Thomas, Kyrou, Dunn, and Blais?

Mikkola’s 25.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
Dunn
Faulk
Bortuzzo
Gunnarsson
Walman

As of today, they are all OUT. Our blueline is a MESS. Parayko is not playing at 100%, Krug as well. I have never seen so many injuries to a D-core in my life.

Hope Binny ready to channel his inner Cujo for Games 3 and beyond.

Reactions: Blueston

Cotton McKnight

He left, get over it!
Feb 6, 2009
Siloam Springs

probably looking at a minimum of 6 games

Not a huge fan of punishment, would like to see what the NHL could do prevent this going forward. I'm not a huge fan of fighting but would not be against the removal of the instigator rule if allowing a goon to step in and prevent stuff like this from happening would improve these hits repeatedly occurring.

If the penalty is too weak it seems some players are OK with losing pay/paying a fine to act dangerously with little real life consequences for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Twister18

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
If Dunn can’t play as well as Bortuzzo(already expecting Faulk to miss time), the 3rd pairing is going to not be very good...

I don’t even know what the pairings are going to be aside from Krug being 1st pairing. Move Parayko up and who’d play RD for second pairing?
Dunn likely will play. He was considered fairly close anyways so he has to go in.

Scandella-Parayko
Krug-Mikkola
Dunn-Santini

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Game 2 Thoughts:

Our zone entries are great on the powerplay, and they're great when we skate the puck through the neutral zone. What do we do right after scoring on that 5 minute major? Return to stretch passes from deep in our zone, make poor passing decisions under no pressure on the breakout, and allow Colorado's neutral zone play to negate passes, turn the play the other way, or at the very least, force the Blues to ice it. Whoever is in charge of the breakout and the offense needs to change that up and recognize what's working and what isn't. Additionally, once we enter the zone, players have this habit of getting to the circle and then doing as button hook to pass to the trailing man -- which is nearly always read by the Avalanche and every person watching the game for an easy turnover and rush the other way. The correct play, 90% of the time, is to get the puck deep, force the Avs to play defense, and then when a turnover inevitably happens, the Avs have to reset, go 200 ft, and 5 Blues players will be in the same zone and in close proximity to the turnover. Instead, we give up a rush and the Avalanche turn it into sustained zone time.

Berube pulled the goalie too early. This is not hindsight as I said it when it happened. If you're going to pull the goalie with two minutes left, down one goal, on a night where we lost 75% of the faceoffs, you do so AFTER we gain possession. I would argue that you don't do that until 1 minute left, anyway, but if you're going to do it, that's how you do it. Terrible decision-making by Berube. That might be the first time I've ever said that about him as Blues' coach.

Schenn CANNOT start the game firing the puck from a low percentage area while under no pressure and with no screen, have it ring around the boards, give the Avs a free zone entry (he fired it so quickly most of the Avs players were still in the neutral zone), and allow them to score 35 seconds in. That was the stupidest play all game in a game full of them. That doesn't go in, and this might be a different game, as, at the very least, the Blues tie it up after the Hoffman goal.

This game was much worse than Game 1, but at the same time, the Blues were in a position to win it by the middle of the third period. Colorado doesn't have the legs to go all-out and deal with the Blues' physicality for a full 60 minutes. We were always going to get stomped in at least 2 games against the Avs, so nothing has changed there. It is now on the Blues to win the next two games if they want to win the series, or they will be losing in 5 or 6. Without Faulk, in addition to our other losses, we are in trouble.

Tarasenko has been doing well at everything except putting the puck in the net and actually applying REAL pressure on the Avs breakout -- something that all of our players are not doing. The Avs apply real aggressive pressure on our dmen, and the Blues seem content to do flybys. That said, Tarasenko has been a net positive in my eyes. He's definitely more effective than Sanford on that 3rd line, and despite not scoring, has a good portion of our most dangerous looks.

Hoffman continues to be one of our best players in all zones. I've been wanting to add Hoffman since he was available from Ottawa, and this is exactly why. I really hope we can find a way to re-sign him, but that doesn't mean I'm looking to get rid of Tarasenko, Schenn, Schwartz, etc. -- those takes are as asinine as they are unrealistic (though stupider things have happened).

The key will be, once again, stopping Mackinnon -- in addition to the things every team has to do to win: not make stupid plays. the Blues have the scoring to beat them, but it seems unlikely that we have the defense to play the transition game to best utilize it (2019 is when both of those things came together; before that it was the opposite problem). The Blues can still win this, but even winning the next game won't matter if it isn't coupled with a change in our approach to transition and removing that button hook play in the OZ.

Last edited:

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Bednar said he didn't see much on the Jost play, but if he was being an honest person about it, he'd realize Bort left the game with an upper body injury... likely regarding a concussion... because of an elbow to the head... Like how dense can these coaches be that they just ignore when players get hurt on plays?

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
My two thoughts

My wife watched part of the game (the 1st period), the only game she has watched this year
her observation - they shoot a lot from all over, how come we never shoot when we have the puck in their zone

game 2, 6 goals, 2 EN, 3 slop shots uncontested from the blue line that went in, 1 from the very top of the circle
game 1, 4 goals, 1EN, 2 goals thrown at the net from out high uncontested, 1 goal from in close off the rush
it sure seems to me that their goals all have a common theme
when they have possession of the puck in our zone (as to chances off the rush) they are not trying to work for high percentage shots, instead they are throwing the puck towards the net as many times as they can, and it isn't goals off of rebounds they are getting, it is screens or deflections - and it seems to me, at least, these are going in at a higher rate than you would normally see

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
My two thoughts

My wife watched part of the game (the 1st period), the only game she has watched this year
her observation - they shoot a lot from all over, how come we never shoot when we have the puck in their zone

game 2, 6 goals, 2 EN, 3 slop shots uncontested from the blue line that went in, 1 from the very top of the circle
game 1, 4 goals, 1EN, 2 goals thrown at the net from out high uncontested, 1 goal from in close off the rush
it sure seems to me that their goals all have a common theme
when they have possession of the puck in our zone (as to chances off the rush) they are not trying to work for high percentage shots, instead they are throwing the puck towards the net as many times as they can, and it isn't goals off of rebounds they are getting, it is screens or deflections - and it seems to me, at least, these are going in at a higher rate than you would normally see

They've definitely gone in at a higher rate than you'd normally see against us the past two games, but it's hard to say exactly why. They're throwing a lot of pucks in so they're bound to get some good results just off volume. Some of it is probably just luck. Some of it might just be MacKinnon and Makar are that good, and their shots from near the blue line are just going to be more dangerous than any from our players because those two are undoubtedly better than anyone we put on the ice.

If we can avoid stuff like the first goal last night and force them to only make plays like the other longer range scores the rest of the series, I don't hate our chances in future games... at least... if we can field a semi-healthy team...

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
Bednar said he didn't see much on the Jost play, but if he was being an honest person about it, he'd realize Bort left the game with an upper body injury... likely regarding a concussion... because of an elbow to the head... Like how dense can these coaches be that they just ignore when players get hurt on plays?
If that same hit happened to Makar they would be calling for the persons head. Thats how you know they are hypocrites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad