GDT: Blues @ Vegas| Well...This is Awkward|8 PM CST|

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
“I have talked with the NHL’s Player Safety Department on the Bortuzzo and Bozak hits that have, or will result, in our players missing games. Player Safety feel that these type of plays should be handled by the officials on the ice. As a organization we will respect that standard and will play within the guidelines that have been set.”

Wowsers...

Cowards

Reactions: Joshuar56

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
“I have talked with the NHL’s Player Safety Department on the Bortuzzo and Bozak hits that have, or will result, in our players missing games. Player Safety feel that these type of plays should be handled by the officials on the ice. As a organization we will respect that standard and will play within the guidelines that have been set.”

Wowsers...

I think this means they will expect no suspension if blues players do unto others as was done unto them

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
"Player Safety feel that these type of plays should be handled by the officials on the ice."

ok then...

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Idk how other people feel about it, but I actually thought Shanahan did about as good as he could as the head of DoPS. Maybe there were consistency issues, but overall I feel like they handled it much better than they are now
Shanahan's big contribution was putting out videos explaining how decisions were made and bringing about the phrase "principal point of contact." That's about it. He was just as inconsistent as his predecessors. You could have two identical hits and one would get punished and the other wouldn't, and while you might get explanations for both they would be contradictory.

But yes, from that already low bar Parros & Co. have managed to breeze under it would all kinds of room to spare.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
tenor.gif

Let Blais/Clifford/Schenn have some fun tomorrow

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Army: "As an organization we will respect that standard and will play within the guidelines that have been set."

That is about as perfectly as you can word "we can go eye for an eye with cheap shots" if you are trying to avoid a fine and/or retain plausible deniability.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Yea, so at this point, DoPS is basically telling the players to police themselves which is essentially what they were supposed to get rid of?
If I'm DA, the next time a Blues player gets called in for a hearing, I fire off a sharply-worded critique - especially if the referees called a penalty on the play. I might even get in front of a microphone and go off on it. It'll probably draw a fine from the league, and I wouldn't care; I'd go off in great detail to highlight that the Do"PS" has no interest in doing its job and its decisions are purely arbitrary at this point, and something better change or I'll rally the other GMs to force change.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I actually think the DoPS made the right call on both the Bozak and the Bortuzzo hit.

:dunno:

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I actually think the DoPS made the right call on both the Bozak and the Bortuzzo hit.

Bortuzzo, I could wave my hands on it though I think it was probably worthy of a small fine.

Stone, though? I've seen that one a few times now, I can't see how it qualifies as a hockey play and it was clearly interference even if 4 blind zebras didn't see it. That's the kind of stuff we're supposed to be trying to get out of the game. If that doesn't even draw a fine, why are we even bothering to discipline players for anything. Just have Robin Pemberton take over Do"PS", tell him to utter "we will put it back in the hands of the players and we will say, ‘Boys, have at it and have a good time.’ That's all I can say" into a microphone, have him resign immediately after and disband Do"PS" completely.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007

Bortuzzo I agree with you on.

But targeting Bozak is entirely different. Bortuzzo at least knew to expect contact going into the corner.

Stone ambushed a guy in a move more closely resembling assault than hockey. It wasn't at all a hockey play where a player just mistimed it or got up a little high. It was a predatory attack outside of the rules on an unsuspecting player not even eligible to be hit. Interference doesn't even begin to describe what Stone did and the DOPS failed to send Stone a message that would satisfy the Blues with Bozak being injured. Instead those incompetent fools have let yet another star player get away with an egregious play everyone should want to see eliminated from the game. If more players get injured stemming from this incident it's on that failure of an office the DOPS.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
Bortuzzo, I could wave my hands on it though I think it was probably worthy of a small fine.

Stone, though? I've seen that one a few times now, I can't see how it qualifies as a hockey play and it was clearly interference even if 4 blind zebras didn't see it. That's the kind of stuff we're supposed to be trying to get out of the game. If that doesn't even draw a fine, why are we even bothering to discipline players for anything. Just have Robin Pemberton take over Do"PS", tell him to utter "we will put it back in the hands of the players and we will say, ‘Boys, have at it and have a good time.’ That's all I can say" into a microphone, have him resign immediately after and disband Do"PS" completely.
4 blind zebras did see it tho, a 2 minute minor penalty for interference was correctly assessed on the play.

My argument basically boils down to this: we ought to penalize the play, not the result of the play. If Bozak popped back up unhurt, then this is a run-of-the-mill penalty IMO (maybe a bit unusual in how especially stupid it was for Stone to pull that crap).

Reactions: MilesNewton

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
Stone ambushed a guy in a move more closely resembling assault than hockey. It wasn't at all a hockey play where a player just mistimed it or got up a little high. It was a predatory attack outside of the rules on an unsuspecting player not even eligible to be hit. Interference doesn't even begin to describe what Stone did and the DOPS failed to send Stone a message that would satisfy the Blues with Bozak being injured. Instead those incompetent fools have let yet another star player get away with an egregious play everyone should want to see eliminated from the game. If more players get injured stemming from this incident it's on that failure of an office the DOPS.
Comparing it to assault is way over the top IMO, but I would agree with your basic premise that it was not a "hockey play gone bad", and should be punished. However, I think the punishment was fitting to the "crime" (maybe tack a fine on top because it was especially egregious and stupid).

The question I would pose to you is this: if Bozak was not injured, would you be calling for a suspension?

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Comparing it to assault is way over the top IMO, but I would agree with your basic premise that it was not a "hockey play gone bad", and should be punished. However, I think the punishment was fitting to the "crime" (maybe tack a fine on top because it was especially egregious and stupid).

The question I would pose to you is this: if Bozak was not injured, would you be calling for a suspension?
It's certainly worthy of a fine without Bozak's injury, simply due to the fact that it had nothing even remotely resembling a hockey play

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Stones one player who has had multiple concussions since he was in Juniors. A dirty hit for sure but he gets a pass since he is a considered an elite star player. If the roles were reversed you can safely bet that Bozak would have gotten at least a game suspension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad