GDT: Blues @ Vegas| Well...This is Awkward|8 PM CST|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
4 blind zebras did see it tho, a 2 minute minor penalty for interference was correctly assessed on the play.

My argument basically boils down to this: we ought to penalize the play, not the result of the play. If Bozak popped back up unhurt, then this is a run-of-the-mill penalty IMO (maybe a bit unusual in how especially stupid it was for Stone to pull that crap).
But there is a lengthy precedent of factoring injuries into league discipline. You can’t flip back and forth depending on who the culprit is.

I really think there should have been at least a fine, something to create a record of prior offense for Stone.

Joshuar56

Apr 11, 2019
4 blind zebras did see it tho, a 2 minute minor penalty for interference was correctly assessed on the play.

My argument basically boils down to this: we ought to penalize the play, not the result of the play. If Bozak popped back up unhurt, then this is a run-of-the-mill penalty IMO (maybe a bit unusual in how especially stupid it was for Stone to pull that crap).
There was nothing run of the mill about this hit. The play wasn’t even properly penalized. Ryan Reeves was ejected for a similar hit to Tom Wilson a couple years back. I think this hit was even dirtier than that hit, as Tom had at least played the puck. I don’t understand how hockey fans don’t realize how dirty this kind of hit is. If Bozak had just played the puck then sure, it probably would have only deserved 2, but that’s not the case. This hit was about as dirty as it gets in hockey. The only thing worse would maybe be hitting a guy in the head with a stick. Should have been 5 and 10 at the very least.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
But there is a lengthy precedent of factoring injuries into league discipline. You can’t flip back and forth depending on who the culprit is.

I really think there should have been at least a fine, something to create a record of prior offense for Stone.
OK, fair point. Injuries can and have been used as one of several factors in league discipline decisions. Here are the factors used in determining supplemental discipline:

Per Article 18.2 in the CBA between the NHL and the NHLPA:
"... In deciding on Supplementary Discipline for On-Ice Conduct, the following factors will be taken into account:
(a) The type of conduct involved: conduct in violation of League Playing Rules, and whether the conduct is intentional or reckless, and involves the use of excessive and unnecessary force. Players are responsible for the consequences of their actions.
(b) Injury to the opposing Player(s) involved in the incident.
(c) The status of the offender and, specifically, whether the Player has a history of being subject to Supplementary Discipline for On-Ice Conduct. Players who repeatedly violate League Playing Rules will be more severely punished for each new violation.
(d) The situation of the game in which the incident occurred, for example: late in the game, lopsided score, prior events in the game.
(e) Such other factors as may be appropriate in the circumstances."

Department of Player Safety FAQs

Given all these factors, you could build a legitimate argument for a fine, if one was so inclined. Looking at the incident in it's totality tho, I don't see a suspension-worthy play.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
OK, fair point. Injuries can and have been used as one of several factors in league discipline decisions. Here are the factors used in determining supplemental discipline:

Department of Player Safety FAQs

Given all these factors, you could build a legitimate argument for a fine, if one was so inclined. Looking at the incident in it's totality tho, I don't see a suspension-worthy play.
I simply disagree based on two facts:
- Bozak was injured as a direct result of the illegal hit.
- He was NEVER eligible to be hit. A player has no opportunity to defend himself if he’s hit when not expecting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad