Half-Assed GDT: Blues Vegas: Do or Die

hullderko

Apr 21, 2015
poorly played but his 2 linemates are more to blame for overcommitting on a puck behind the net.

Maybe the other 2 people on the ice should not have got caught behind the goal line on the other side of the ice. Even if kyrou uses his speed to cut him off it still leaves a Vegas player completely alone in the middle of the slot.
Agreed -- but I am still arguing take away time/space for the puck carrier vs. get stuck in the middle.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
Scandella and Perunovich were stapled to the bench the entire 3rd period, btw.

So by going 11-7, we instead basically went with 10 and 5 tonight.

Excellent lineup work by Drew Bannister. The guy really has no idea what he’s doing at all.

At least now that our season is done, hopefully we just play the kids instead of worrying about dressing guys like Scandella and Kapanen the rest of the way. Knowing Bannister, this still won’t happen since he’s delusional. But hopefully we send him back to the AHL and hire a real head coach this offseason.
I doubt we see him back next season. It's kind of weird since I feel like our results since the change are better than I would have expected, but I don't think Bannister is close to a reason for why that's the case.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Agreed -- but I am still arguing take away time/space for the puck carrier vs. get stuck in the middle.
Take away time and space all for the Puck carrier to cut back behind and to the other side of the Net and pass it to the player in the middle of the slot. Again Kyrou did not play it well, but, no matter what he does in that Scenario he's f***ed because Krug and Schenn decided they wanted to play in the corner.

One of Schenn or Krug should have stayed in front of the Net and let the other go puck chase.

Reactions: Fitrix

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I doubt we see him back next season. It's kind of weird since I feel like our results since the change are better than I would have expected, but I don't think Bannister is close to a reason for why that's the case.
Yep, it isn’t. Our team is the exact same except for a better powerplay - which is very likely attributed more to Brad Richards than Bannister.

Other than that, it’s just Binnington and Hofer carrying the team. Bannister hasn’t done a single thing to make an impact.

hullderko

Apr 21, 2015
He’s playing the pass and letting Binner play the shooter. That’s classic 2 on 1 defense. Like, he looks like he isn’t doing anything, but his positioning is technically correct per the strategy
I'll have to see the replay again but what I am arguing is that he watched Marchessault skate out from behind the net vs. trying to close out that lane. Behind the net he is not yet a shooter.

Fitrix

Mar 25, 2019
I'll have to see the replay again but what I am arguing is that he watched Marchessault skate out from behind the net vs. trying to close out that lane. Behind the net he is not yet a shooter.
I see what you’re saying now, but it’s such a fast and difficult play to make. And in a quick thinking scenario, knowing his other two teammates are behind the goal line, he likely is thinking not to vacate the slot.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
But even if behind the Net he's not a shooter, he is a passer, and Kyrou deciding to go chase the puck carrier behind the Net while the other two defenders are in the corner out of the play leaves the VGK player all alone in front of the net in a prime goal scoring position with all three Blues players behind the goal line.

Reactions: Brian39 and Fitrix

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Scandella and Perunovich were stapled to the bench the entire 3rd period, btw.

So by going 11-7, we instead basically went with 10 and 5 tonight.

Excellent lineup work by Drew Bannister. The guy really has no idea what he’s doing at all.

At least now that our season is done, hopefully we just play the kids instead of worrying about dressing guys like Scandella and Kapanen the rest of the way. Knowing Bannister, this still won’t happen since he’s delusional. But hopefully we send him back to the AHL and hire a real head coach this offseason.
Perunovich should have been stapled to the bench. I am so done with him. Time to move on.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Tough result for everyone here. Vegas picks up 2 points which is tough to see for those on Team Playoffs.

Team Tank also walks away disappointed with the single point.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Coaching isn’t going to make the roster more talented
I don’t understand this take at all. So because we aren’t the most talented team, it means we can just throw anyone behind the bench?

A good coach can absolutely make a roster perform better than their overall talent level. We see this happening CONSTANTLY in every single sport. It’s crazy to say otherwise.

Perunovich should have been stapled to the bench. I am so done with him. Time to move on.
Well, yeah, no argument from me there. I am not a fan of him either and I’ll puke if I see a starting lineup with him, Krug and Faulk in it again next season.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I don’t understand this take at all. So because we aren’t the most talented team, it means we can just throw anyone behind the bench?

A good coach can absolutely make a roster perform better than their overall talent level. We see this happening CONSTANTLY in every single sport. It’s crazy to say otherwise.

Well, yeah, no argument from me there. I am not a fan of him either and I’ll puke if I see a starting lineup with him, Krug and Faulk in it again next season.

There’s nothing wrong with having a good coach during a rebuild. Trying to find the absolute best coach right now seems overkill. It’s similar to the same reason the Blues aren’t trading futures at the TDL.

The Blues biggest need isn’t Scotty Bowman.

They’re years away from contenders

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Great game, tough loss. Doesn't spell doom for the season IMO. Vegas still has their work cut out for them and the Blues have a relatively easy remaining schedule. Still a lot of hockey left.

Not much Kyrou could do on that final play.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
I was there. No complaints. About as good as you could expect with this roster competing against the big boys in a key game. Relatively even 5 on 5 and two posts. Krug played one of his better games as a Blue so credit where due. Schenn was good too. Shame we won’t get to see Binner give a team a scare in the playoffs. He was outstanding.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
The defending champs are not a powerhouse because some random poster online isn’t impressed with them tonight. Yeah I’m sure that opinion holds a lot of weight. :laugh:

Barely beating a shitbag team like the Blues doesn't help your anti anything I say argument. I get it, I hurt your precious feelings by not kissing your ass about something but get real, vegas does not look good.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
He’s playing the pass and letting Binner play the shooter. That’s classic 2 on 1 defense. Like, he looks like he isn’t doing anything, but his positioning is technically correct per the strategy
He played it perfectly and rightfully would have expected delaying the attack would have allowed Krug to get the net front but there didn't seem to be a pile of urgency there.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Barely beating a shitbag team like the Blues doesn't help your anti anything I say argument. I get it, I hurt your precious feelings by not kissing your ass about something but get real, vegas does not look good.
No idea what you’re even talking about. I am anti-bullshit, but actually yeah, I guess that is the same thing as being anti anything you say.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Just let the guy walk out in front uncontested.

Not a great play by Kyrou though Schenn and Krug didn't help out much either. Probably not the trio I would have put together with the season on the line.

Not a great game from Kyrou, Buch or Thomas to be honest. Missed passes all night long and never really looked in sync. It was a hard fought game overall but clearly Vegas is simply a better team. Our best players couldn't get it done in the end. Faulk looked bad as well and gave Dorofeyev way too much space on that goal.

Not a fan of Bannister's decision to go 11/7. When things are going well, why change anything? That just meant the lines and D pairings were all jumbled up and we never got into a groove. I guess the one silver lining was Binnington, who solidified his status as team MVP this year.

Last edited:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Why worry about coaching? This is year 2 of the rebuild.
Rebuild.

Army hasnt done anything what indicates rebuild.

What moves Army has made Blues are retool 'ish state.

D-core needs to be addressed and trade garbage players which cost toi much Faulk + Krug.

hen we need to discuss about future of Parayko. Dude is 30 years old and won't get better.

From forwards group i guess Buch IS tradable abd could get something out of HIM.

Maybe Schenn? But who would take HIM at that Price. 6.5mill.$ AAV is horrendous. + NTC and mod NTC last years. Good luck trade that away.

Idk which is better, get playoffs and hot swept away or miss playoffs just few points.

I guess made on to playoffs and get absolutely destroyed. Maybe then front office would understand were we are at as team.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

Well Blues have played better game. I think coaching chamge did improve our game, but I view this is The limit on this team. Some near of .50 team.

If we had more talent Blues could be playoffs team easily. Contender.

Pietro, Dunn, Schwartz, Tarasenko, O'Reilly, Perron, Mikkola. Ish Husso tho he had tough season with injuries. Or even Walman.

I would rather have Piero, Dunn and Mikkola than Faulk, Leddy and Krug.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad