Blues Trade Proposals Part XXX

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Tavares and Stastny down the middle imo would be pretty damn impressive. I would trade Schwartz over Fabbri as Fabbs seems to have more chemistry with Tarasenko.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I think Tavares would be more in Stamkos price-range than The Hawks duo. Tavares has nothing on his resume to command that kind of salary. But if he gets to UFA all bets are off.

Agreed. That was my UFA quote. Probably closer to $9M for a re-sign.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
When it comes to Tavares i just feel like we would get outbid fairly easily by another team with greater prospects. IMO we just don't have the capital to be competitive unless NYI would take quantity over quality. But if they move Tavares they are going to get plenty of grade A quantity to start, he's worth a TON.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
When it comes to Tavares i just feel like we would get outbid fairly easily by another team with greater prospects. IMO we just don't have the capital to be competitive unless NYI would take quantity over quality. But if they move Tavares they are going to get plenty of grade A quantity to start, he's worth a TON.

That isn't really how it works. No GM is giving up great prospects without knowing that Tavares is going to extend, and at that point it isn't a bidding war but about Tavares picking where he wants to go.

If they are trading him as a rental, then they'll get a rental return. Might be a big return for a rental, but they aren't getting an elite prospect.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Knowing Armstrong GM skills I don't want to see him pushing on hard Tavares. Army would just dig another big hole in our roster.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015

While I agree on quality of prospects but Tavares will have a majority of the leverage when it comes to where he goes. Go ahead and Cross out the 8 teams on his no trade list. Then there are the teams that are way too close to the cap to make it possible. Plus teams that he will actually extend with. Blues are a very attractive destination. We check all the boxes when it comes to wingers for him to play with Young and very talented D-Corps. A potentially great goalie.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'll agree it's a long shot, but i also think the chances of us landing Duchene are 10x greater than landing Tavares.
Not that we'll get either but I don't agree. According to JR the Blues don't really seem to be interested in Duchene at all.

If Tavares becomes available, the Blues would be bat**** insane to not be at least showing serious interest.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Knowing Armstrong GM skills I don't want to see him pushing on hard Tavares. Army would just dig another big hole in our roster.

I'm sure if the Blues acquired Tavares, you'd find some way to complain about it. Lately you're a wet blanket for everything.

Don't look now, but the Blues look like they could win a series or two. I know, I know, its a big negative if they do that, even worse if they win two series, since it will drop the draft choice a handful of spots. The young player experience and added revenue are not relevant.

Edgar Carrow

The Misshapen Steed
Oct 12, 2013
Blackwater Park
I'm sure if the Blues acquired Tavares, you'd find some way to complain about it. Lately you're a wet blanket for everything.

Don't look now, but the Blues look like they could win a series or two. I know, I know, its a big negative if they do that, even worse if they win two series, since it will drop the draft choice a handful of spots. The young player experience and added revenue are not relevant.

You're just as negative as he is with your constant sarcastic replies to every post he makes.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
You're just as negative as he is with your constant sarcastic replies to every post he makes.

OK Edgar.

I've conversed with Ranksu here for years. The last year or so, he's gotten increasingly down on the team, and its to the point where he can't seem to see anything positive even about a hypothetical fictitious trade to get a franchise 1C. I find that ridiculous. I don't understand what's happened to him, but he's not the same witty cynic he used to be. I'm calling him on it the same way I would for any friend acting that way. You can view it as 'negativity', but its just a friendly poke.

Its bizarre to see the Blues rallying after firing Hitchcock, and finding threads where posters are bemoaning the wins viewed only through the lens of the upcoming draft, and picking later. This board is so surreal at times. I know I'm just a foolish optimist, but I still think any team that gets into the playoffs has a chance at the Cup. Its better to be in that group, and going into the post-season playing well. I'd rather roll the dice with this team and hope for the best. As Blues fans, we've all been through the heart-break enough times, I don't need someone to beat me over the head with their failings or anticipated failings. I've lived with it just like everyone else. But damn if I can't enjoy when the team wins some games, beats some good teams, and has young players showing growth.

It bothers me that I don't sense any joy in the team from Ranksu any more. Like zero. He didn't used to come across like that. I'm probably not very articulate with my jabs, but that's really what I'm responding to.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I would LOVE to get Tavares. But, without a 100% on us resigning him I don't really want to give up Schwartz/Fabbri++

If he agrees to resign with us before the trade, sure, I'll even help Schwartz/Fabbri pack their bags and drive them to the airport myself.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I haven't been on here as long as some of you, but I've always found Ransku to be a bit negative. However, lately he's been negative in just about every post I read of his.

Nothing against you or anything Ranksu, it's not a bad thing to be negative a little bit, but the past couple months or so it's been constant it seems like.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Tavares:

Isn't he the ultimate pipe dream for this Blues team? Let's step into fantasy world and say the Isles know he won't resign for whatever reason? Also, for argument sake we'll assume Tavares agrees to a extension.

1. What would you be comfortable giving up to get Tavares?

2. What would the Blues give up realistically?

I think it would start with Schwartz. Schwartz provides a top line winger. My proposal is Schwartz + Tage Thompson + both 2017 1sts + Schmaltz + Walman.

Schwartz has to be one of the main pieces and not Fabbri due to the cap.

Lehtera would have to be traded somewhere but the Isles couldn't eat both salaries of Schwartz and Lehtera.

Sobotka, Gunnarsson, Jaskin, and Yakupov would all be traded.

Fabbri Tavares Tarasenko
Steen Stastny Perron
Berglund Barbashev Paajarvi
Sanford Brodziak Reaves

Bouwmeester Pietrangelo
Dunn Parayko
Edmundson Bortuzzo

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
So it requires a 1st line winger, 2 first round picks, and 3 of our top prospects for Tavares?

Then on top of that we also move out 5 other players, who yeah aren't that great, but still would need to be replaced somehow.

That is a **** ton. Especially if we don't know for sure Tavares is re-signing here, that ****ing destroys our future. Pass.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Tavares:

Isn't he the ultimate pipe dream for this Blues team? Let's step into fantasy world and say the Isles know he won't resign for whatever reason? Also, for argument sake we'll assume Tavares agrees to a extension.

1. What would you be comfortable giving up to get Tavares?

2. What would the Blues give up realistically?

I think it would start with Schwartz. Schwartz provides a top line winger. My proposal is Schwartz + Tage Thompson + both 2017 1sts + Schmaltz + Walman.

Schwartz has to be one of the main pieces and not Fabbri due to the cap.

Lehtera would have to be traded somewhere but the Isles couldn't eat both salaries of Schwartz and Lehtera.

Sobotka, Gunnarsson, Jaskin, and Yakupov would all be traded.

Fabbri Tavares Tarasenko
Steen Stastny Perron
Sanford Brodziak Reaves

Bouwmeester Pietrangelo
Dunn Parayko
Edmundson Bortuzzo

Boy that's a lot...but if you were comfortable with giving it up, it wouldn't be enough.

My guess is there isn't enough immediate help there for the Islanders to do it.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
So it requires a 1st line winger, 2 first round picks, and 3 of our top prospects for Tavares?

Then on top of that we also move out 5 other players, who yeah aren't that great, but still would need to be replaced somehow.

That is a **** ton. Especially if we don't know for sure Tavares is re-signing here, that ****ing destroys our future. Pass.

I did say for arguments sake we'd assume Tavares is coming with an extension / signing in St.L.

It's definitely a lot but I'm not seeing how it destroys the future.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
There are never any guarantees. But if I could get the Blues a Cup and the cost was destroying the future, I'd do it. Just as a general way to approach this type of possibility.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
I think Tavares isn't a pipe dream like some believe. I don't think Tavares really wants to resign in NYI. They have shown an inability to surround him with needed help. I also don't think it would cost as much as people are wanting to give up. Schwartz, the 2 2017 firsts, and a Walman or Schmaltz would get it done. But, I'm not doing that unless he's resigned. Lehtera would still have to go somehow to clear up salary. But to me, that's it.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Youre trading or best forward prospect, our best RD prospect and arguably our best LD prospect, along with two firsts. That's how it destroys the future.

What is the future of the Blues organization? If you're trading for Tavares the future is now. You're not trying to win a cup 5 years from now. You're trying to win the cup now.

Tage Thompson might be the best forward prospect but I'd argue that overall Kyrou will be a better player and he'd still be a Blue.

Schmaltz is possibly the best RHD prospect the Blues have but at best he will play 3rd pairing minutes behind Parayko & Pietrangelo. Walman is a decent prospect but his ceiling is probably top 4 LHD. You still have Dunn for that position and possibly higher.

Schwartz is a top line winger that the Blues currently are overstocked on. Steen, Fabbri, & Schwartz could all play top 6 LW and probably all could play on a top line. It's a trade from strength.

Maybe you get away with giving up 1 1st instead of 2? I'd do it either way.

Here's the roster:

Fabbri Tavares Tarasenko
Steen Stastny Perron
Sanford Brodziak Reaves

Bouwmeester Pietrangelo
Dunn Parayko
Edmundson Bortuzzo

That gives you a total team salary for 2017-18 of $58,239,167.

If the Cap remains at 73 million you are left with $14,760,833. The Blues have to sign Parayko and Paajarvi.

Let's say Paajarvi gets something like a $1,750,000 - 2m/year deal and Parayko gets a 7 yr 5,850,000 deal. Together they're in the neighborhood of 8 million signed which leaves you with 6+ in cap.

Let's say Tavares signs for 8.5/yr. That would start in the 2018-19 season as next year he's still only making 5.5.

That 2018-19 season you would have a cap starting around $53,345,000. That season you would have to resign Fabbri & Stastny. Fabbri would get a hefty raise but Stastny probably takes somewhat of a pay cut. Edmundson, Brodziak, Reaves, & Perron would either have to be replaced or signed. Those guys aren't core players. Let's say Fabbri goes crazy playing with Tavares and Tarasenko and he gets signed to $5.5 and Stastny also signs for 5.5. That puts the Cap up to $63,345,000 with 4th liners and a 3rd pairing D to replace.

Again you're left with plenty of cap space.

I guess I need more information on what your definition of the Blues' future is. My definition of the Blues future, and I think the organization thinks similar, is a win now mode. If the aforementioned deal was done it puts the Blues in a good situation to be contenders for the next 5 years.

Last edited:

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
There are never any guarantees. But if I could get the Blues a Cup and the cost was destroying the future, I'd do it. Just as a general way to approach this type of possibility.

I would trade Tarasenko for David Clarkson if it meant the Blues were guaranteed a Cup.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Youre trading or best forward prospect, our best RD prospect and arguably our best LD prospect, along with two firsts. That's how it destroys the future.

And getting one of the 5 best Cs in the world, who yea, is only 26 and with an extension would be ours for 9 years. We'd have 6-7 years to rebuild that depth, and still have a few cheap young guys to bring up. We'd have a core of the following under team-control for the next 4 years (Italicized are likely UFA re-signings/bold would be controlled for 6+ years):

Fabbri - Tavares - Tarasenko
Steen - Stastny - XXXX
Berglund - Barbashev - XXXX
Sanford, Kyrou, Blias, Musil

XXXX- Pietrangelo
Edmundson - Parayko
Dunn

Allen / Husso

That's only 3 holes down the road in a pretty darn good top 9/ top 4. We'd need to re-sign or find replacements for Perron, Paajarvi and JBo. We definitely need to re-sign Pietrangelo and Stastny but we needed that regardless. We'd still have a couple prospects that could blossom and fill those holes. So while our prospect pool would be decimated, our future would hardly be destroyed. We'd have a much better team for the next several years and have time to rebuild our prospect pool as long as we could manage the cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad