Blues Trade Proposals Part XXIX

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
What if Sobotka is back?

Define "back". I wouldn't count on Sobotka to burn if I set him on fire myself. Until he's actually in St.Louis for training camp I wouldn't trust his word.

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
Why wouldn't you trade Berglund for a 2nd? You can package the 2nd for something else if you're so inclined. Get whatever future assets you can.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Define "back". I wouldn't count on Sobotka to burn if I set him on fire myself. Until he's actually in St.Louis for training camp I wouldn't trust his word.

True. I miss Sobotka saga thread, the endless who said to what said and when?

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
The Blues should be jumping for joy if Berglund returned a 2nd. Why would anyone protest a Berglund trade? Is he the difference between 12th & 13th?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
The Blues should be jumping for joy if Berglund returned a 2nd. Why would anyone protest a Berglund trade? Is he the difference between 12th & 13th?

Last year he was "waiver fodder" on these boards

Trade him to a contender and tell him well keep the light on for him if he wants to come back

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
If the Blues trade Shattenkirk, Berglund or anyone else in season, who plays in their place? Does anyone see Army being ok icing a team with multiple AHLers? Then in the offseason who are we adding to permanently replace those guys? If we trade for them, what are we moving and how does it make use better? If we are signing players via FA, how are we making sure they are not getting bad contracts, especially if they are top 6 forwards or top 4 D? You almost always have to over pay for those guys.

Selling too much will deplete our depth.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
If the Blues trade Shattenkirk, Berglund or anyone else in season, who plays in their place? Does anyone see Army being ok icing a team with multiple AHLers? Then in the offseason who are we adding to permanently replace those guys? If we trade for them, what are we moving and how does it make use better? If we are signing players via FA, how are we making sure they are not getting bad contracts, especially if they are top 6 forwards or top 4 D? You almost always have to over pay for those guys.

Schmaltz and Borts will take over Shatty's spot. I think we should keep Bergy tho, play him on Barb's wing (or vice versa) and have Bergy teach Barbs the ropes.

Chubbinz

Nov 1, 2016

Selling too much will deplete our depth.

but but futures!!

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Schmaltz takes Shatty's place, he's ready.

Yeah I am less worried about Shatty. Bortuzzo is here. Schmaltz might be ok to get some looks, but I don't think he is ready for full time duty.

Trading Berglund, who fills that hole? Megan? Barbashev? Can either of those guys handle that? For next year who do we get? How much does it cost?

If we moved JBo, who takes his place? Lindbohm? He certainly hasn't deserved the call up. His AHL play has been underwhelming.

I guess my point is that selling off a bunch of players for futures won't help us within the next few years unless we can turn around and flip them. That is no guarantee, especially given how poor of a draft this looks to be.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
My how low weve gotten. We're arguing how we will replace Berglund and Shattenkirk(who we have to replace no matter what)

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
My how low weve gotten. We're arguing how we will replace Berglund and Shattenkirk(who we have to replace no matter what)

The question I think we should be asking is how do we improve?

I am not terribly convinced that the pure futures route works.

Honestly I would rather re-sign Berglund than get a 2nd round pick. I am not sure what a second rounder does within our window of a few years. Unless we are signing a big name center with his money (I am not seeing many options though), then why not try to bring him back?

If Berglund brings back more, like 2 seconds, I might reconsider and take a gamble in FA. But otherwise why not sign him to a three year deal at roughly the same cap hit? If you find a cheaper replacement or an upgrade, you could try and move him.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Why would it matter to Berglund if he's traded for futures? The Blues traded Tkachuk away and then resigned him in the offseason. It is possible.

I guess I don't understand seeing Berglund as a Blue long term. He's a 3rd line player at best & that's all he'll ever be. I would think Berglund and Shattenkirk have to be the front runners to be traded first.

The name Sobotka makes people cringe at this point. Saying that, you have to think he'll be a Blue next year. There's the 3C.

The thing to worry about is who'll be the 1C.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah it's really not a big deal. We know we aren't competing this year. If Barbashev or whoever looks like ****, we can try signing someone in the offseason. It's not like we trade a player away and forever have a hole. I'm fine with keeping Berglund but if we can get a decent draft pick, it's not the end of the world if we move him and then later have to explore another avenue. But Barbashev should be ready to start getting at least some NHL looks on the 3rd line next season. He probably doesn't last the whole season, but that'll prepare him to make the team out of camp hopefully in 2018.

Also Schmaltz is definitely ready. He's played a year and a half in the AHL now. Let's get him some NHL experience, so that next season when he's 24 he's not a complete newbie. This plan makes obvious sense.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Shattenkirk can have his icetime replaced by Schmaltz at this point. Berglund cannot.

Obviously Schmaltz isn't going to replace his production but hopefully Petro and Parayko can up their pace by 4 or 5 points each with the extra PP time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad