Blues Trade Proposals Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I don't look to keep Gunnarsson. Hopefully Lindbohm can replace him.

Backes at 7m would be a mistake unless the cap increases enough.

I think we should keep Gunnar. Lindbohm would be great fit on 3rd pair only problem is who is going to be his pair. I don't see Cole or Jackman anymore this teams in future. Butler is cheap cheap fun fun, but like Jackman I'm afraid he's going to get 2 year deal with high cap, something like ~ 2.5mill. what is clearly overpayment for 3rd pair D.

Code:
Jbo - Pietro
Gunnar - Shattery
Lindbohm - X

Butler
UFA

actionhank1786

Nov 6, 2011
I think we should keep Gunnar. Lindbohm would be great fit on 3rd pair only problem is who is going to be his pair. I don't see Cole or Jackman anymore this teams in future. Butler is cheap cheap fun fun, but like Jackman I'm afraid he's going to get 2 year deal with high cap, something like ~ 2.5mill. what is clearly overpayment for 3rd pair D.

Code:
Jbo - Pietro
Gunnar - Shattery
Lindbohm - X

Butler
UFA

Agreed, Gunny's been solid. I don't know why you wouldn't want to keep him around. I love Jackman, and I've hoped Cole could step up, since he always just looks like he wants to do so well, but Gunny has been great with Shattenkirk.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Let's just hope that everyone takes a hometown discount because there is so much friendship.

Lehtera is going to want to play with Tarasenko. If we can at least keep them on the same team, and MAYBE on the same line, I think we could get him for a STEAL (+/- 4M).

Steen-Backes-Oshie
If we can get Backes to sign on for +/- 6M and under 7, then we can keep this line together.

Shattenkirk is going to get paid, and deservedly so. He's looking like a top pairing OFD.

Tarasenko is going to get paid as well. Hopefully we can do a 2 year deal around 5M, and then give him a big bonus later/back-load the contract.

Schwartz is going to need somewhere in the range of 5M as well, but I could see him taking it if he knew he were the anointed captain after Backes.

Gunnarsson is going to need to keep a steady paycheck or get moved out. We can't afford to keep him with so many D prospects in the system (albeit, righties other than 3rd pairing-likely Lindbohm). We could swap prospects to get a lefty if need be.

I think the real question is: do we want to keep part of the old core around? If SOB and co. can find a way to get it done this year (Conference Final or BUST), then I could see us giving out the longer term, but hopefully discounted, contracts to them.

I don't think we can start writing in Fabbri/Barbashev/Jaskin into a top six role until we see what happens next year, so it may be smart to keep the SOB and make a move later.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I don't want to come across as someone who really wants Backes traded. He's an important player, but I honestly just feel like moving him in the offseason would be of this organization's best interest, UNLESS we win the cup. If we win the cup, or even make it to the cup, then I'm all for keeping this team together since that would show me that they are close.

But if we lose in the 1st or 2nd round again then we gotta make some changes, IMO. And moving on from Backes would be the #1 thing that I would do. He'll be 31 after this season which isn't that old, but given his playing style you can pretty much tack on a few years to his body. And being 31 (and given that he's producing now) would still give him high trade value. I'd sell him while we can get something good as opposed to re-signing him to what will probably be an overpayment, and then watching him decline and not getting assets back. With the emergence of Tarasenko and Schwartz (they'll get big deals), and having money tied up in Stastny and Steen and then probably Lehtera as well, I just don't want to give Backes a huge contract. We will regret that, IMO.

With Fabbri looking like he'll make the team next year, and Jaskin improving, and Barbashev in the system, we look pretty loaded at forward for the next several years anyways. I think this offseason might be the time to make a move like this, because we'll be able to remain a contender. So really all we would need to get for Backes is a 1st round pick and a solid roster player that is versatile - could play center or wing on the 2nd or 3rd-line. And maybe a throw-in, much like the Kesler deal. And wait for Barbashev to be ready which shouldn't take long. You'd have Stastny and Lehtera and the new guy as your top 9 centers which would be fine, and we're very strong on the wings.

Another thing is that I'm not sure about him as a captain, I've made that clear recently, and think we'd be fine with a guy like Schwartz or even Steen as captain. I feel our young guys like Tarasenko, Shattenkirk, and Pietrangelo are also ready to lead this team. You'll still have veterans like Stastny and maybe Jackman still as well. I wouldn't be too worried about the leadership.

Unfortunately I don't see Armstrong doing this at all. Maybe he will unless we completely fail in the first round, but I still see him moving Oshie and maybe even Steen before Backes, which I'd disagree with. But if I was Armstrong, I would strongly consider this. Backes looks better now with Steen and Oshie, but he didn't look too good to begin the season, and I'm starting to think that in the next year or two he will start declining. I think he has one more good year in him but then the season that he turns 33 I think we'll start seeing a different guy. That's also the season after he becomes a free agent.

Of course hopefully we just go to the cup and then don't really worry about any of this, but those are my thoughts.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

I'm talking about when his contract is up. It's hard to figure stuff out without cap geek. But if Lindbohm can take his spot, then I would go that route. Maybe someone like Edmondson could replace Jax.

I'm on my phone so...can't really project lineups right now.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I don't want to come across as someone who really wants Backes traded. He's an important player, but I honestly just feel like moving him in the offseason would be of this organization's best interest, UNLESS we win the cup. If we win the cup, or even make it to the cup, then I'm all for keeping this team together since that would show me that they are close.

But if we lose in the 1st or 2nd round again then we gotta make some changes, IMO. And moving on from Backes would be the #1 thing that I would do. He'll be 31 after this season which isn't that old, but given his playing style you can pretty much tack on a few years to his body. And being 31 (and given that he's producing now) would still give him high trade value. I'd sell him while we can get something good as opposed to re-signing him to what will probably be an overpayment, and then watching him decline and not getting assets back. With the emergence of Tarasenko and Schwartz (they'll get big deals), and having money tied up in Stastny and Steen and then probably Lehtera as well, I just don't want to give Backes a huge contract. We will regret that, IMO.

With Fabbri looking like he'll make the team next year, and Jaskin improving, and Barbashev in the system, we look pretty loaded at forward for the next several years anyways. I think this offseason might be the time to make a move like this, because we'll be able to remain a contender. So really all we would need to get for Backes is a 1st round pick and a solid roster player that is versatile - could play center or wing on the 2nd or 3rd-line. And maybe a throw-in, much like the Kesler deal. And wait for Barbashev to be ready which shouldn't take long. You'd have Stastny and Lehtera and the new guy as your top 9 centers which would be fine, and we're very strong on the wings.

Another thing is that I'm not sure about him as a captain, I've made that clear recently, and think we'd be fine with a guy like Schwartz or even Steen as captain. I feel our young guys like Tarasenko, Shattenkirk, and Pietrangelo are also ready to lead this team. You'll still have veterans like Stastny and maybe Jackman still as well. I wouldn't be too worried about the leadership.

Unfortunately I don't see Armstrong doing this at all. Maybe he will unless we completely fail in the first round, but I still see him moving Oshie and maybe even Steen before Backes, which I'd disagree with. But if I was Armstrong, I would strongly consider this. Backes looks better now with Steen and Oshie, but he didn't look too good to begin the season, and I'm starting to think that in the next year or two he will start declining. I think he has one more good year in him but then the season that he turns 33 I think we'll start seeing a different guy. That's also the season after he becomes a free agent.

Of course hopefully we just go to the cup and then don't really worry about any of this, but those are my thoughts.

I agree with everything you've said here. I like Backes, he is an important player, but I don't think it would be best to be committing big money, long term to him with a NTC. As you note, the grind of his style of play makes later years in a contract a pretty big risk.

If Backes is willing to take a Steen-type contract (3y @ $6.5m w/NMC), there isn't a discussion to be had and he'll be signed.

6+ years @ $7m? I would look to trade him. Big money, but he would get that in UFA. Let's remember about the egos that we heard about earlier this season, Statsny's salary might be a benchmark in negotiations here.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
For me, it depends on what he's looking for in his next contract. I agree with everything that's been said about him, but would add that he's still one of the best two way centers in the league. If he leaves, who takes on the toughest minutes? Stas, Berglund, and Lehtera are all respectable two way players, but not on Backes's level. On top of that, he's very valuable as the net front presence on the PP. If he's willing to go 3-4 years at 6.5-7.5 I'd sign him. If he wants more, then it's time to move on.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
For me, it depends on what he's looking for in his next contract. I agree with everything that's been said about him, but would add that he's still one of the best two way centers in the league. If he leaves, who takes on the toughest minutes? Stas, Berglund, and Lehtera are all respectable two way players, but not on Backes's level. On top of that, he's very valuable as the net front presence on the PP. If he's willing to go 3-4 years at 6.5-7.5 I'd sign him. If he wants more, then it's time to move on.
Agreed, a short-term contract would be fine.

As far as what you brought up, that's definitely why I'd look for a guy with a similar style to Backes in a trade. A gritty guy who is just a lot younger. I wouldn't really be looking for finesse in return for Backes. It'd definitely be important to get someone who can play solid defensively and go to the net. A player who has a style like Tommy Wingels. A trade between us and SJ doesn't make sense so that won't happen, just giving an example of the player I'd probably be looking for.

Jaskin will also definitely have to become a net-front presence for us. But even guys like Oshie and Schwartz who aren't very big have proven they can effectively deflect pucks.

I also think Paul Stastny has more to offer defensively than what we've really allowed him to be. He's a smart two-way player. He was the defensive catalyst in Colorado last year and that opened up more offensive time for guys like Duchene. I also think Jori Lehtera can become a very solid two-way player. Even as an NHL rookie, he backchecks hard and is good on faceoffs; also has the size. As he gets more adjusted to the NHL and our system, he should only become better.

Staz and Lehtera are two very nice pieces to have and they should contribute at both ends of the ice for a while. That was a huge offseason for us getting both.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I don't think Backes gets a 7 year deal from anyone, much less the Blues. I'll guess the Blues would ideally like him on a 2-3 year deal in the $5.5-6 range, and his agent will be pushing for 5-6 years at $6.5-7.

The middle ground seems obvious, but the question is whether both sides will have the desire to meet there. That'll depend on some combination of the Blues financial status, how the Blues perform in the playoffs, how much Backes likes it here, and whether he's just chasing as much money as possible with his last big contract.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
If we trade Backes, then we better be getting a higher end center prospect or young player back.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Flames fans seemed fine with a Rattie-Glencross swap if GlennX was willing. Really filling that 3rd line and giving someone to Stastny...

one of Tlusty, Jagr, Atkinson, ?Erat?, Santorelli, Foligno?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I would not not move Rattie for Glencross..... he a pure rental.

As others have stated, he's injury prone and has zero PO experience. Pass

Of course they would be fine with it. They've had it in for Rattie even before the season started. Rattie for Glencross is a steal since the general consensus is he'll be returning next season

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Flames fans seemed fine with a Rattie-Glencross swap if GlennX was willing. Really filling that 3rd line and giving someone to Stastny...

one of Tlusty, Jagr, Atkinson, ?Erat?, Santorelli, Foligno?

I assume you mean Marcus?

In any case, Tlusty and Jagr for me. The rest are bleh.

I'd also like to nominate Drew Stafford.

Last edited:

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Stafford makes sense too.

He's been mentioned before, and he's having a decent season. I'm not sure how his play style will mesh with Berglund/Jaskin and Stastny though.

Still, if we can manage to get someone without giving up Berglund, that's good depth.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
He's been mentioned before, and he's having a decent season. I'm not sure how his play style will mesh with Berglund/Jaskin and Stastny though.

Still, if we can manage to get someone without giving up Berglund, that's good depth.

Yeah, I'd prefer to move futures over Berglund. I'd like the top 9 to just go

SOB
STL
Berglund-Stas-Rental/Addition
4th line

I like Jaskin, but it isn't time yet.

As for the GlennX for Rattie thing, the reason I like that is because I don't see a future for Rattie, especially in STL.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'M interested in Stafford too. I don't watch Buffalo games so I can only look at reports. He's a big power forward with a good shot. So he sounds like a fit....but....that reminds me of Stewart.

Any other posters watch him?

I'm still all in for Jagr.

I'm all for trading Rattie, but I want a prospect or '15 Pick or a semi rental(2yrs left)

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
I'M interested in Stafford too. I don't watch Buffalo games so I can only look at reports. He's a big power forward with a good shot. So he sounds like a fit....but....that reminds me of Stewart.

Any other posters watch him?

I'm still all in for Jagr.

I'm all for trading Rattie, but I want a prospect or '15 Pick or a semi rental(2yrs left)

Im not huge on Stafford, he is the definition of inconsistency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad