Blues Trade Proposals Part XII

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Toronto gave up potential foundation pieces (the picks ended up being Seguin, Hamilton, and Knight) to get Kessel, and I'd imagine they would want potential foundation pieces in return. He's by far the best player on that team, IMO.

Don't think the usual non-essential player + good prospect + high pick package gets the job done.

A possible reason why Toronto might trade him for something that isn't an overpayment is because Nonis wasn't the one that traded for him, so he won't be as attached to justify the return compared to what they gave up or he will feel pressure to making Kessel work in Toronto.

He will still have very high value because he is locked up to a fair contract, is still young (early years of his prime), and his production has been very consistent in his career. Sure, he has his faults, but he is one of the most consistent point/goal producers in the league.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
We would just have to hope that they'd like an Oshie+Berglund+futures package.

We could run STL line, Stastny-Kessel with plug, and Steen-Backes with plug.

Hell, if Sobotka joins at the end of the season, we'd be stacked for a Cup run.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
We would just have to hope that they'd like an Oshie+Berglund+futures package.

We could run STL line, Stastny-Kessel with plug, and Steen-Backes with plug.

Hell, if Sobotka joins at the end of the season, we'd be stacked for a Cup run.
Meh. I know Kessel is a big time player, but we're already upset about Lindstrom being in the top 6. I don't think having two plugs in the top nine will really solve the issue. I think that's what we need to avoid - having players drag others down in the playoffs.

Don't get me wrong, if we could get Kessel at the right price I'd do it. But I think we'd have to follow that up to acquire at least one other rental winger (or Sobotka) that we still have a stacked top 9.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Meh. I know Kessel is a big time player, but we're already upset about Lindstrom being in the top 6. I don't think having two plugs in the top nine will really solve the issue. I think that's what we need to avoid - having players drag others down in the playoffs.

Don't get me wrong, if we could get Kessel at the right price I'd do it. But I think we'd have to follow that up to acquire at least one other rental winger (or Sobotka) that we still have a stacked top 9.

I know what you're saying, but Stastny and Kessel will be able to put up points regardless of who the 3rd is. You can stick Lindstrom or Paajarvi there and it won't be an issue.

Steen and Backes have chemistry, but with that lineup, they'd only need a responsible winger to complete a shutdown line, and again both Lindstrom and Paajarvi fill that.

The wild card is if Sobotka returns and he could slide into either line and we'd really have a complete lineup.

Schwartz-Lehtera-Tarasenko
Paajarvi/Sobotka-Stastny-Kessel
Steen-Backes-Lindstrom/Ott
Ott/Porter-Lapierre-Reaves

Still a very complete lineup.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah, I mean that lineup looks great.

It looks too good to be true, so you know that Kessel would score 25 goals in the playoffs only for him to be caught using steroids in the middle game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, so Bettman would just award the cup to the other team right there and sacrifice our 5 best prospects to New Jersey.

And if we don't get Kessel I'm expecting that to happen to either Lehtera or Tarasenko since what they are doing right now doesn't mix with typical Blues culture.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Do you guys think (just for conversation sake, I DON'T REALLY WANT TO DO THIS) that adding Steen to a trade package would sweeten it up enough to get the scoring help we need in return?

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Does Filpula play winger at all?

Yes, and we all know that Armstrong is a fan. I don't see any reason for the Lightning to move him.

Do you guys think (just for conversation sake, I DON'T REALLY WANT TO DO THIS) that adding Steen to a trade package would sweeten it up enough to get the scoring help we need in return?

If teams are trading high end players then they are typically looking to get younger. If we wanted JVR or Kessel, then they are going to want Schwartz rather than Steen.

That's not to say Steen doesn't have good value, but the type of trade would likely be somewhat of a lateral move. Someone mentioned Wheeler/Ladd in a deal with Steen, that is pretty realistic if we went down that road.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Chemistry is only worth so much. Signing a player who is not NHL quality for the sake of trying to recreate past chemistry is just not good.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Yeah, Enlund isn't an NHL player. Given our issues, I hope Armstrong called Mueller and called him crazy. I'm certainly not saying he would have been the answer, but he would have had his shot by now if he had stuck around. If it didn't work, he could have cancelled his contract after that.

If we are wanting to use Schwartz to get another line going, then dump Pääjärvi with Lehterä and Tarasenko. Let's see exactly how much their talent can carry :laugh: They continue their hot streak and we might be able to get a second from a desperate Pittsburgh in return for MPS.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
And that's what it might come down to. Put Paajarvi or Lindstrom there, Schwartz with Stastny and reunite SOB. Hitch said he isn't that dumb, and I hope to god the other players start producing so it doesn't get to that point, but there will be a point where we have to do something. It was fine when that line was carrying us and we were winning, but 1 single line can't continue to win you games by themselves.

This is the point where we are missing Sobotka. We could throw Sobotka on that line and they wouldn't miss a beat, and hell, they could be STL 2.0, and that would allow Schwartz to put his offensive to use on another line. Ott might be the "utility" guy, but he still sucks offensively, so you can't really plug him in somewhere and expect that line to continue what they've been doing like you could with Sobotka.

Turk Sanderson

Jun 14, 2014
Macoupin County, IL
Chemistry is only worth so much. Signing a player who is not NHL quality for the sake of trying to recreate past chemistry is just not good.
These are Quotes from Tarasenko and Lehtera from an NHL.com article last week.
"It's important for me," said Tarasenko, who has 19 points in 15 games. "If you play with your friend or you play with somebody who's close to you in your life, it's better because we spend more time together, we talk more. We fight for each other. For me, it's better to play with guys that are friends in life with you. We talk a lot about our game. We play together now on the same line so we have time to talk about our game plan and stuff like that.

"I think we all try to help each other. I don't care if I go to forecheck or they go to forecheck. We don't care who scores. We just try to be happy for each other. If you're happy for each other, it will come for you too."

Lehtera agreed.

"It helps when you know your linemates better," said Lehtera, who has 14 points in 14 games. "I hang out with [Tarasenko]. I like to know how he feels; when he's grumpy or when he's in a good mood. Then I'll know how to play or practice with him.

"When we played in Russia, we had a player in our lineup [Enlund] whose style was the same as [Schwartz]. Same kind of hard-working guy. Good skater, good shot. It helps me, a guy like [Schwartz] to be able to play with him. He's a very good player for his size. ... He's a good skater, smart player, good shot. It's easy to play with him."

Turk Sanderson

Jun 14, 2014
Macoupin County, IL
And that's what it might come down to. Put Paajarvi or Lindstrom there, Schwartz with Stastny and reunite SOB. Hitch said he isn't that dumb, and I hope to god the other players start producing so it doesn't get to that point, but there will be a point where we have to do something. It was fine when that line was carrying us and we were winning, but 1 single line can't continue to win you games by themselves.

This is the point where we are missing Sobotka. We could throw Sobotka on that line and they wouldn't miss a beat, and hell, they could be STL 2.0, and that would allow Schwartz to put his offensive to use on another line. Ott might be the "utility" guy, but he still sucks offensively, so you can't really plug him in somewhere and expect that line to continue what they've been doing like you could with Sobotka.
Two centers, and a right winger?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
These are Quotes from Tarasenko and Lehtera from an NHL.com article last week.
"It's important for me," said Tarasenko, who has 19 points in 15 games. "If you play with your friend or you play with somebody who's close to you in your life, it's better because we spend more time together, we talk more. We fight for each other. For me, it's better to play with guys that are friends in life with you. We talk a lot about our game. We play together now on the same line so we have time to talk about our game plan and stuff like that.

"I think we all try to help each other. I don't care if I go to forecheck or they go to forecheck. We don't care who scores. We just try to be happy for each other. If you're happy for each other, it will come for you too."

Lehtera agreed.

"It helps when you know your linemates better," said Lehtera, who has 14 points in 14 games. "I hang out with [Tarasenko]. I like to know how he feels; when he's grumpy or when he's in a good mood. Then I'll know how to play or practice with him.

"When we played in Russia, we had a player in our lineup [Enlund] whose style was the same as [Schwartz]. Same kind of hard-working guy. Good skater, good shot. It helps me, a guy like [Schwartz] to be able to play with him. He's a very good player for his size. ... He's a good skater, smart player, good shot. It's easy to play with him."

Same style, but when I watched games of Tarasenko in the KHL, it was clear that Lehtera had NHL ability, but Enlund did not.

Turk Sanderson

Jun 14, 2014
Macoupin County, IL
Yeah, Enlund isn't an NHL player. Given our issues, I hope Armstrong called Mueller and called him crazy. I'm certainly not saying he would have been the answer, but he would have had his shot by now if he had stuck around. If it didn't work, he could have cancelled his contract after that.

If we are wanting to use Schwartz to get another line going, then dump Pääjärvi with Lehterä and Tarasenko. Let's see exactly how much their talent can carry :laugh: They continue their hot streak and we might be able to get a second from a desperate Pittsburgh in return for MPS.

And we know that ,how? When Army signed Lehtera, many said the same thing.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He'd be an immediate improvement over at least two players that are on the roster now.

Trust me and some of the people on this board that have watched him, he wouldn't be an improvement. The vast majority of Euros don't translate well to the NHL. Lindstrom was the best player in Sweden and he is just meh in the NHL.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
And we know that ,how? When Army signed Lehtera, many said the same thing.

I've seen him play over 100 times for Sibir, and about half a dozen times in person... he does not look NHL quality. Lehterä did, which is why many of us were really hopeful of getting him signed.

How many times do you think Blues scouts watched Sibir? How much do you think they focused in on the Lehterä-Tarasenko line before Tarasenko was traded to SKA? Armstrong was signing everyone this summer and we didn't look at Enlund, when I imagine he'd have been receptive to an offer. That should tell you something.

Enlund is a decent player, but he looks like he would be a career AHL'er in North America. Maybe someone gives him a shot and he proves us wrong... but I don't see it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad