Confirmed with Link: Blues sign Patrick Maroon (1 year @$1.75m) - ORIGINAL 2018 SIGNING THREAD

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I would say that Maroon and Blues Brouwer are very similar players. Both have good hands, not an amazing shot but it's heavy, great along the boards, and defensively responsible. Also both guys are well liked in the locker room. Both guys play a gritty game and most of their points come from being a great net front presence and can net you 30-40 points in a season.
I wouldn’t feel comfortable arguing that.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Question. Does Maroon take bad penalties often?

If not, we will like him much much more than we did Brouwer.
The answer is yes, he does take dumb penalties often. I’m not sure how many are O-zone versus the field off the top of my head, but I would bet it’s too damn high.

A Real Barn Burner

Apr 25, 2016
Yeah I'm really not worried. Gunnarsson and Bouwmeester are off the books by the end of the season. Steen's contract starts to get easier to move starting next Summer. So we're really not going to have any bad contracts, barring what Maroon gets. But here's a wild idea: why doesn't everyone just take a deep breath and like, I know it sounds crazy, but maybe just MAYBE we should wait and see what the extension actually looks like before we start freaking out and getting "sick" over it?

It's just worrying about nothing right now. I mean, if Maroon stinks it up this year, Armstrong isn't going to give him 4 years and 16 million dollars out of pity. He still has to play well and earn it. Freak out next year when it happens but it's kinda annoying to read about right now.

Devils and Oilers fans are all raving about the guy so I'm happy to have him.

I think we have plenty of grit. Add Schenn to those guys. Jaskin plays heavy not soft, and Soshnikov is a little wrecking ball if he stays healthy. Not to mention Thorburn is always there in the press box if we really need him. But I don't think we will much, we have enough guys that can play scrappy - even Perron and Dunn can mix it up in scrums. We will be fine, I think we finally have the right amount of skill and grit. The thing about Maroon is he's a heavyweight fighter but he'll actually be on the ice with skill guys like Tarasenko. Reaves never was, so Maroon is going to be a lot more effective at standing up for teammates and sending a message.

I agree not freaking out is wise however, the problems is I personally will be conflicted all season. Blues score I’ll cheer like crazy then I see that Maroon tipped the puck...that will sink in... then I’ll go dam Cha-Ching there goes more money next off season.

I mean it’s a good problem to have I guess, I’d just prefer not to have it lol.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
I didn't like the Maroon signing initially, but watching all the videos and reading all the tweets ... I just can't help but like the guy! Perhaps I am gullible, but his enthusiasm is infectious, and I can't think of any player that has voiced his joy to put on a Blues jersey more sincerely. Welcome, Pat Maroon!
Watch some clips from Anaheim or Edmonton, he can play with skilled players and that’s not as easy as it sounds. He can move up or down the lines and be effective. Maybe be a Scott Mellanby type.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
It’s pretty obvious that he desperately wanted to come here. That’s pretty cool. I’d love to see him come in here and just go off this year. That would be one hell of a story.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Nah he's always talked like he does.

Yup. We're in the exact same age group, so I played against him (and occasionally with him) fairly often. Other than dropping a couple octaves like every guy does through puberty he has sounded like this basically every time I've talked to him or heard him chirping on the ice.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
It’s largely what you make of it, no matter where you are living. I’ve lived out in the country and in the city both, and there are elements of each that are positive and negative. St. Louis has a lot of problems, and they are all well known but there’s a lot to like in the area too. Especially if you are fortunate enough to have a little bit of money.

I’m sure glad we have some players that really want to be here, though. I’m normally more of a skeptic when it comes to nebulous chemistry talk, but easy to see how having a few guys in there that actively sought out this organization can help drive some positive energy. Particularly when coming off a very tough season, and chasing down teams in the toughest division right now.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Patty seemed very adamant about SoCo there. Idk it's not that great here man lmao maybe just in comparison to Eureka.
Yeah I think that was just some playful banter between the two, it even looked like Janssen picked him up somewhere in the Clayton/Delmar/CWE area

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad