Confirmed with Link: Blues sign Patrick Maroon (1 year @$1.75m) - ORIGINAL 2018 SIGNING THREAD

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO

There’s a couple of unverified guys saying it’s a 1 year deal between 2-3 million but nobody of note has said that yet.

EDIT:

If that really is the case, then I’m fine with it. I do wonder how we’re signing Edmundson though.

Last edited:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Oh wait. Army doesn't know when to stop. We're just fine, no need for Maroon. Everything under 1.150mill.$ x 1-year is fine. He doesn't fit in Blues. If we sign him it tells me we're going to dump somebody at AHL. Let the kids play.

We need 4th line center who can take FO's and can play PK icetime and release some time from top 6 forwards, not vet winger who is overpaid.

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedBlue14

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Oh wait. Army doesn't know when to stop. We're just fine, no need for Maroon. Everything under 1.150mill.$ x 1-year is fine. He doesn't fit in Blues. If we sign him it tells me we're going to dump somebody at AHL. Let the kids play.

We need 4th line center who can take FO's and can play PK icetime and release some time from top 6 forwards, not vet winger who is overpaid.

If Fabbri doesn’t return to form and Schwartz has his annual injury, we’ll be happy that the Blues signed Maroon.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
For one year I'm fine with it. We actually don't have an abundance of left wingers like we've had in the past, and he's a pretty clear upgrade on the guys projected for the fourth line. I think he could help us on the PP as well. Park his big ass in front of the net and jam for rebounds. He's got a good deal of skill for a big guy, his skating is really his main weakness.

Reactions: Twister18 and stl76

Xanadude

Jun 12, 2018
Ballwin
I don't hate the signing, especially if it's at a discount. As people said, he'd be good to park in front of the net on the PP and could slot up and down the lineup with injuries. Just curious how we are going to fit him in. either Edmunson gets lowballed or Gunny is gone.

Also: I hope this signing isn't a referendum on Fabbri's health.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
If Fabbri doesn’t return to form and Schwartz has his annual injury, we’ll be happy that the Blues signed Maroon.
Code:
Fabbri - ROR - Tarasenko
Schwartz - Schenn - Perron
Steen - Bozak - Thomas
Jaskin - Barbashev - Soshnikov

Sundqvist - Sanford - Kyrou

We can replace them with Thomas, Kyrou. Jaskin can take 3rd line fill in if injuries. Sandford has done it too. What about Blais? We've enough depth in our team. Ofc if we hit over +3 injuries top 6 we might see some problematic for lineup but that say we can give bigger icetime for younger guys.

and sorry I rather see Thomas and Kyrou play at NHL then Maroon.

Last edited:

converseman54

Apr 13, 2017
STL
Well if it's a one year deal maybe we can flip him at the trade deadline for a pick. I wonder if he'll have a NTC as part of any deal. I'd assume that would be part of his requirement for taking a discount to play here

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Well if it's a one year deal maybe we can flip him at the trade deadline for a pick. I wonder if he'll have a NTC as part of any deal. I'd assume that would be part of his requirement for taking a discount to play here

We will only sell assets at the deadline for futures if we aren’t going to make the playoffs - possible, but that would be a massive failure.

Reactions: BlueDream

converseman54

Apr 13, 2017
STL
We will only sell assets at the deadline for futures if we aren’t going to make the playoffs - possible, but that would be a massive failure.
Good point. I'm still in the camp of not being for this signing. I know it's good to have depth for injuries but I don't like blocking all the kids from getting a chance. If we sign him I hope it works out

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
If we do this, we will have added at least 4 new players to our top 9 from last year, with the possibility of two homegrown guys joining them (Fabbri and Thomas). That is a complete overhaul. That gives us crazy, crazy depth on both ends and both sides of the ice.

Maroon would add physicality and a net front presence that currently only Schenn comes close to bringing. We haven’t just added random bodies, we’ve added a diverse range of skill sets that seem to complement each other pretty well. Our PP is also dramatically improved on paper.

Next year will be very interesting!

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
Im not opposed to this but where the hell are we going to put him? I guess Maroons cool with potentially playing on the 4th line for us.

Last edited:

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
once bitten, twice shy.
after watching the Blues collapse into a one-line team last season, Army is going into overdrive with the offense. and you know what? after a decade of being unable to produce offense in the playoffs, why the hell not? i get what he's doing, even if I'm not necessarily excited for it. (Though it is better to sign an asset than have to trade for one.)
If they've got 15 guys who know how to put the puck in the net, come next April Army shouldn't have any excuse for his team not making a hell of a lot of noise in the playoffs. At least we'll be able to save ourselves the frustration and healthy-scratch Perron in Game 1, Rd. 1 and insert any number of guys who are capable and hopefully available.

Reactions: simon IC and stl76

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
To me, this would signal that we don’t plan on having a 4th line next season. This would set us up to run out a first line, a second line and two third lines. Regardless of the combinations, I would expect guys like Jaskin, Barbashev and Soshnikov to be sprinkled up and down the lineup rather than putting them together on a low minutes, sheltered 4th line.

Reactions: stl76 and Novacain

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
To me, this would signal that we don’t plan on having a 4th line next season. This would set us up to run out a first line, a second line and two third lines. Regardless of the combinations, I would expect guys like Jaskin, Barbashev and Soshnikov to be sprinkled up and down the lineup rather than putting them together on a low minutes, sheltered 4th line.

We basically have two 20-minute lines and two 10-minute lines. Or 20-18-12-10. Or 18-16-14-12. Or 16-16-16-12. Or 16-16-14-14. Understanding that special teams figure into that, so consider those figures proportional more than literal.

We have the depth that we don’t really have to shelter anybody’s minutes, and everybody should be fresh every game. Hopefully that keeps us from fading in the 3rd like we have in years past. That could be huge.

Reactions: Thallis and stl76

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Schwartz-Schenn-Perron
Fabbri-O'Reilly-Tarasenko
Steen-Bozak-Thomas
Maroon-Barbashev-Soshnikov
Jaskin-???

Thorburn gets out on waivers and gets claimed.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Schwartz-Schenn-Perron
Fabbri-O'Reilly-Tarasenko
Steen-Bozak-Thomas
Maroon-Barbashev-Soshnikov
Jaskin-???

Thorburn gets out on waivers and gets claimed.

The Blues seem to really like Sanford. We'll have to see what kind of camp he has, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him in the starting lineup. His short time with the Blues in his rookie season was really solid offensively and he didn't appear to be useless without the puck. I like Barbashev a lot more than Yeo seems to - it seems like they're going to give a lot of guys a chance to push him off the roster if he doesn't kick ass.

I also hope the Blues hang onto Thorburn as their 14th forward and give him the opportunity to join the organization after his contract is up. I want his family to be able to stay in St. Louis if they want.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Signing Maroon seems more evidence that Thomas stays at center, as he could center the 4th line that isn't really a 4th line. Wouldn't be surprised if Barbashev is shipped out (as sweetener in Gunnar deal?) as his star seems to have dimmed in management's eyes.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
That’s two first lines, one second, and a third.

Yep...i had to comment as much elsewhere.
(x-ROR-Tarasenko) and (Schwartz-Schenn-x) are both 1st lines, provided the 'x' isn't completely inept.
Bozak with two of (Fabbri, Steen,Thomas, Maroon, Perron) should form a pretty formidable "third" line, which would be as good as many (average-to-poor, admittedly) 2nd lines. A line with Barbashev, Soshnikov and one of the above guys isn't your typical 4th line.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Most teams fourth lines don’t have that kind of skill. I would consider it a weak, maybe even avalerage third line when you look at the bottom half of the league’s third lines.
We will have to agree to disagree on that one. A combined 41 points in 165 NHL games between the two. Barbashev is only 22 and still has some potential, but I really dont see much scoring potential for Shoshnikov.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
We will have to agree to disagree on that one. A combined 41 points in 165 NHL games between the two. Barbashev is only 22 and still has some potential, but I really dont see much scoring potential for Shoshnikov.

Dude is fast, has a good shot, decent hands, and solid awareness/positioning. He's not much of a playmaker and is always injured, so he might be limited to a 4th/3rd line tweener, but he's not a no-skill scrub.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Dude is fast, has a good shot, decent hands, and solid awareness/positioning. He's not much of a playmaker and is always injured, so he might be limited to a 4th/3rd line tweener, but he's not a no-skill scrub.

My point is that his production and possession metrics look more like a fringey NHLer than a 3rd liner.

Lots of players have some legit NHL tools, putting it together is another thing. IMO skating is his one exceptional ability, but I havent seen much else that separates him from the pack.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->