Blues Prospects Thread 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Well there is prospects who have been drafted 2020 and play these games now. I found it as excuse if you lack prospect who would get invited to wjc. Just shows who had success in +1 year after draft ofc it doesnt show everything, but gives you some stats where to look when comparing your picks. They still are best players of 2 year draft class.
If we had drafted more players from lesser countries would likely have more players. Not a lot of late round picks on Canada team.

Reactions: Wovenhand1976

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
If we had drafted more players from lesser countries would likely have more players. Not a lot of late round picks on Canada team.
How Finland have success at wjc previous years? It doesnt always mean success if you come from Canada.

I just say you lack of good amateur scouts in europe if you only draft NA ground. More and more european players are being drafted and not only Sweds, Russian and Finnish players.

I guess we aren't in same page here, yet again.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
How Finland have success at wjc previous years? It doesnt always mean success if you come from Canada.

I just say you lack of good amateur scouts in europe if you only draft NA ground. More and more european players are being drafted and not only Sweds, Russian and Finnish players.

I guess we aren't in same page here, yet again.
You miss my point. There are great Finnish players, absolutely. But how many Finns are drafted versus Canadians? If we took 5th round Canadian he is maybe 100th best Canadian in draft. If we took 5th round Finn he is maybe 10th or 15th best Finn in draft. So 5th round Finn has much better chance to make WJC. If we took 5th round Swiss he might be 3rd or 4th best Swiss in draft. Absolutely would make WJC.

Would we get better players if we drafted more Europeans? Maybe. I don't know. I do think they tend to be harder to scout because top ones often play limited minutes on adult teams, which can mean you do get some hidden gems and is likely worth a shot in later rounds. But regardless of whether we get better NHL players by drafting more Euros, we would absolutely get more WJC players.

Wovenhand1976

May 25, 2019
Doesn't most of the players come from the draft of 2019 when we had 5 picks? First one was at 62? We picked two russians. Alexandrov played in the wjc last year and the keeper Zherenko (spelling) was invited to Russia's camp this year? Sounds kind of good to me.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
You miss my point. There are great Finnish players, absolutely. But how many Finns are drafted versus Canadians? If we took 5th round Canadian he is maybe 100th best Canadian in draft. If we took 5th round Finn he is maybe 10th or 15th best Finn in draft. So 5th round Finn has much better chance to make WJC. If we took 5th round Swiss he might be 3rd or 4th best Swiss in draft. Absolutely would make WJC.

Would we get better players if we drafted more Europeans? Maybe. I don't know. I do think they tend to be harder to scout because top ones often play limited minutes on adult teams, which can mean you do get some hidden gems and is likely worth a shot in later rounds. But regardless of whether we get better NHL players by drafting more Euros, we would absolutely get more WJC players.
You miss my point how has Finland success in previous years at wjc? It doesnt matter if you have 50 or 100 canadians and they all suck if you have 5-15 finn and they all are glorious. :D

Reactions: ItsOnlytheRiver

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
You miss my point how has Finland success in previous years at wjc? It doesnt matter if you have 50 or 100 canadians and they all suck if you have 5-15 finn and they all are glorious. :D
I realize Finns have good players. Glorious success at WJC. Whatever. When it comes to Blues drafting though, the question is whether we made good NHL picks and not whether we should pick guys who are more likely to make WJC because their country has less depth.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I realize Finns have good players. Glorious success at WJC. Whatever. When it comes to Blues drafting though, the question is whether we made good NHL picks and not whether we should pick guys who are more likely to make WJC because their country has less depth.
You understand, but you dont.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
That Slovakia team is going to be a lot to handle the next couple years. Pretty sure 14 players on their current roster will be eligible next year as well. Going to be some high draft picks for them in the next couple drafts.

Reactions: Ranksu

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
2 of our top prospects staying in Europe this year. Glad to see that Alexandrov found spot as he was in bit of limbo. No word on whether Kostin coming back or staying.

Toropchenko, Alexandrov assigned to European professional leagues

Apparantly we can only recall them after they're respective leagues have ended, so if I'm reading this correctly they're not available for the start of the season in the AHL. This makes me wonder if Springfield has opted out of the 21-season. They're a privately owned organisation and are probably bleeding a lot of cash atm. We/they also haven't signed any player to an AHL-contract yet either. Keep an eye out for more players being loaned or send back to juniors for overage seasons in that case.

Ps. I'm hoping that not mentioning Kostin means they're trying to move him to another team that fits him better.

Last edited:

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Apparantly we can only recall them after they're respective leagues have ended, so if I'm reading this correctly they're not available for the start of the season in the AHL. This makes me wonder if Springfield isn't planning to play in the AHL this season at all (they're a privately owned organisation and are probably bleeding cash atm). We/they also haven't signed any player to an AHL-contract yet either. Keep an eye out for more players being loaned or send back to juniors for overage seasons in that case.
Not to mention that the AHL will have a talent drain in stocking the taxi squad for each of their respective NHL affiliations, further watering down the product. I wouldn't be shocked to see the AHL sit this season out and focus on getting back up and running in October.

Reactions: Blueston

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Watched Leo Lööf playing for Färjestads BK in The SHL yesterday. He didn't look out of place. Steady with a lot of poise. Very intriguing prospect. Dominik Book is in the SHL as well playing for Djurgårdens IF. Seems to havet stalled a bit in his development.

Thanks for the update. That is good to hear.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
That Slovakia team is going to be a lot to handle the next couple years. Pretty sure 14 players on their current roster will be eligible next year as well. Going to be some high draft picks for them in the next couple drafts.
Slovakia is lesser team. Not worth of drafting them.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
You're right, we should focus on drafting as many Swedes as possible. :nod:
v3t0pZE.gif

Reactions: stl76

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Granted, it's only statwatching, but it seems Matt Kessel is off to a really good start this season at UMass. He's currently playing either on the top pair or second pair of defense and in 9 games he already has 4 goals and 2 assists. This doesn't say anything yet, but it's good to keep an eye out for his development.

Quoting myself here, but Matt Kessel is continuinig his run, he's at 10 points in 11 games, just one point short of matching his total points from last season. Granted, this is still a small sample size, but he's doing really well. If he continues this he could be quite a steal for us. His 5 goals also makes him the most scoring defenseman in the NCAA at the moment.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Not to mention that the AHL will have a talent drain in stocking the taxi squad for each of their respective NHL affiliations, further watering down the product. I wouldn't be shocked to see the AHL sit this season out and focus on getting back up and running in October.

Wouldn't the taxi squads shut down if the AHL starts playing?

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Wouldn't the taxi squads shut down if the AHL starts playing?
No.

If teams lose players from Covid or injury, moving call-ups around is tricky. The Canadian borders (external and among territories) presents some potential quarantine barriers. Some AHL affiliations cross those. And it’s easier to have safe travel with the team protocols than for guys flying solo on commercial airlines. I think the taxi squad will exist all season.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
No.

If teams lose players from Covid or injury, moving call-ups around is tricky. The Canadian borders (external and among territories) presents some potential quarantine barriers. Some AHL affiliations cross those. And it’s easier to have safe travel with the team protocols than for guys flying solo on commercial airlines. I think the taxi squad will exist all season.

Don't see how the AHL can fill out their rosters without the taxi squad players. The Blues have 13 skaters that would otherwise be in Springfield. How do they replace them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad