Blues Prospects Thread 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Yea I forgot about him and dont disagree but he's a glue guy. Someone you wish you didnt give up, buts it's not a Forsberg level guy
Also with Eller he basically became what we thought he would. Not like we dealt him and he became much more than we expected.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Outside of Bishop, I cant think of anyone the Blues traded away who went on to become an impact player.
Perron? But that may have been after his development period. I don’t think they ‘gave up’ on him as much as they just couldn’t afford everyone.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Perron? But that may have been after his development period. I don’t think they ‘gave up’ on him as much as they just couldn’t afford everyone.
Yea I wouldnt count him. He blew up in Vegas. When he was orginally traded, he wasnt a prospect. I was more speaking towards the Blues giving up too soon a prospect.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Oshie, is it wrong to say without Oshie Caps wouldn't be Stanley Cup champs?

But those are players. The Blues have traded away tons of players who went on to win Cups. They haven't given up too many prospects that have gone on to be good pro players, aside from Bishop and Halak.

EJ had been a Blue for over 100 games at time of his trade. Soderberg wasn't going to report to STL, so can't blame them for moving on from him. Nagy played only 51 games for the Blues before going on to have a few good seasons in Arizona. Blues gave up on Mike Grier before he became an NHL regular of 1060 games, just as they did with Steve Staios previously. Then there was Brind'Amour who was the previous biggie I'd say...so it's not like the Blues have a deep history of such missteps.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Remember when our fan base wanted to trade Schwartz for Eric Staal? (When Schwartz was a spec)

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018
Outside of Bishop, I cant think of anyone the Blues traded away who went on to become an impact player.

The only other one I can think of is Carl Soderberg. He has been pretty steady the last few years in the NHL.

Traded him away for Hanni Toivonen.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
The only other one I can think of is Carl Soderberg. He has been pretty steady the last few years in the NHL.

Traded him away for Hanni Toivonen.
I don’t think that was a team choice as much as just recouping some value (or trying) for a guy who was never going to report. In the end, didn’t he become a free agent before he ended up playing in the NHL anyway? I can’t recall.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I don’t think that was a team choice as much as just recouping some value (or trying) for a guy who was never going to report. In the end, didn’t he become a free agent before he ended up playing in the NHL anyway? I can’t recall.

Warning: Details may be off, it's been awhile

Soderberg sustained a major eye injury with Malmo in Sweden that left his pro career in doubt at one point. If I recall correctly that coincided with us having to make a decision on him and I guess the failure to report came just after that.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Warning: Details may be off, it's been awhile

Soderberg sustained a major eye injury with Malmo in Sweden that left his pro career in doubt at one point. If I recall correctly that coincided with us having to make a decision on him and I guess the failure to report came just after that.
My recollection was he was still playing at a high level after the injury. In other words, I don’t think the Blues backed off him, I think they just acknowledged that he wouldn’t come to camp.
Was he still under team control when he joined Boston? I don’t think he was...I think it was an UFA contract.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
My recollection was he was still playing at a high level after the injury. In other words, I don’t think the Blues backed off him, I think they just acknowledged that he wouldn’t come to camp.
Was he still under team control when he joined Boston? I don’t think he was...I think it was an UFA contract.
Not sure, but let's remember he didn't join the Bruins until end of 2012-13 season. This was nearly 6 years after we traded him. So while it is unfortunate that the we got for him stunk, hard to criticize team too much for dealing someone who not until 6 years later decided to come to NHL, even if he became nice 2nd line player.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Soderberg attended Blues’ training camp in 2006, but returned to Sweden and then suffered the eye injury during the 2006-07 season and was traded to Boston for Toivenen in 2007.

That’s how it went down.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Soderberg attended Blues’ training camp in 2006, but returned to Sweden and then suffered the eye injury during the 2006-07 season and was traded to Boston for Toivenen in 2007.

That’s how it went down.
And when he eventually joined the Bruins, wasn't it years later as an UFA?

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Here’s a related trivia question: What player has scored the most points as an ex-Blue?

Note I don’t mean Gretzky, I mean who had most points after leaving St. Louis.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Here’s a related trivia question: What player has scored the most points as an ex-Blue?

Note I don’t mean Gretzky, I mean who had most points after leaving St. Louis.

Shanahan? Hall of famer that got probably half his points with the Red Wings. That's my best quick answer guess.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Getting closer. Believe Gilmour is 2nd and Oates 3rd.

I had to cheat, so I'll let someone else guess. He only beat Gilmour by 14 points according to my quick count, so I was real close. I totally blanked on the player though. He didn't even cross my mind until I looked up Blues draft picks and sorted by most career points (hint for the next guesser, Blues did draft him).

Reactions: Blueston

AVictoryDive

Jan 7, 2013
Collinsville, IL
I had to cheat, so I'll let someone else guess. He only beat Gilmour by 14 points according to my quick count, so I was real close. I totally blanked on the player though. He didn't even cross my mind until I looked up Blues draft picks and sorted by most career points (hint for the next guesser, Blues did draft him).
Does he coach for the Hurricanes?

Reactions: Blueston
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad