Blues Prospects Thread 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Well Kostin is making quite the good impression this preseason. 6 points so far through 3 - 4 games (can’t remember if he’s played in all or not) is pretty darn good. Seems to be a bullish compliment to any offensive line he’s on.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Sadly, Hancock signed a 1 year AHL deal with Tuscon today (or yesterday) per Eliteprospects.com's transfer page.

Has there been any official word on Christiansen getting a deal (be it from the Blues or an AHL/ECHL deal from the Rampage)? I think it'd be smart of them to possibly give him an ELC, since we're very veteran heavy in the AHL/ECHL pipeline after Reinke (RD), Mikkola (LD), and Walman (both sides D?), especially with Tucker (LD) a year out and we don't know about Anton Andersson yet.

Elite Prospects has Christiansen with San Antonio but I don't that he has a contract.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Well Kostin is making quite the good impression this preseason. 6 points so far through 3 - 4 games (can’t remember if he’s played in all or not) is pretty darn good. Seems to be a bullish compliment to any offensive line he’s on.
I remember a pre-season when Lemtyugov had a big point production and we all got excited, and then nothing happened.

For Kostin, I'm encouraged by his performance in preseason games against preseason caliber opponents. Its a step forward. I think there is a chance he gets to start the season with the Blues before returning to San Antonio. It would be a situation where they know they're sending him down later, but its best for his development to experience the league firsthand. But I'd like to see him be successful at the AHL level for an extended period of time before I project him to replace anyone in the regular NHL line-up.

But there's no denying this is a step forward. Thank goodness, because last season was mostly red flags.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
I remember a pre-season when Lemtyugov had a big point production and we all got excited, and then nothing happened.

For Kostin, I'm encouraged by his performance in preseason games against preseason caliber opponents. Its a step forward. I think there is a chance he gets to start the season with the Blues before returning to San Antonio. It would be a situation where they know they're sending him down later, but its best for his development to experience the league firsthand. But I'd like to see him be successful at the AHL level for an extended period of time before I project him to replace anyone in the regular NHL line-up.

But there's no denying this is a step forward. Thank goodness, because last season was mostly red flags.

Don't see a need to earn an AHL "diploma." If he's NHL-ready that's where he belongs.

Reactions: Nathaniel Lauharn

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Don't see a need to earn an AHL "diploma." If he's NHL-ready that's where he belongs.
Its not a 'diploma'. Its proof that he's ready. Too many people act like being able to score against the preseason rosters of other NHL clubs is the same as being able to do it against their starting line-up. Preseason successes are nice, but they need some perspective. Kostin has already shown a season of NOT being able to accomplish that at the AHL level last year. I'd like him to prove that has changed. If he's really NHL ready, it shouldn't be too hard to have some production in the AHL. Kyrou managed it.

Say Klim goes down again, and has a similar paltry production in San Antonio. What does that say about his NHL readiness? You can't just ignore that.

Reactions: Blueston and TK 421
Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
My preference is for Kostin to start the year in San Antonio. But before he goes have the coaching staff send him with a list of things they want to see from him. There’s always injuries so I’m sure if they like what they see there will be chances to reward him with an NHL call up.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
I bet he would make 25 rosters, but there is just no room here until someone gets hurt. I mean there is ZERO room. We would have to trade somebody. Are you benching Blais? Sunny? No. Maceachern is gone if we try to send him down. He's a good 13th/14th guy. Kostin can't be that.

Kyrou if he ever plays again will start in San Antonio. So should Kostin. Top line. Top PP. Hope he kills it. He'll be an exciting call up when someone goes down.

If Kostin destroys the AHL, trade Fabbri for a pick and give him that spot.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I bet he would make 25 rosters, but there is just no room here until someone gets hurt. I mean there is ZERO room. We would have to trade somebody. Are you benching Blais? Sunny? No. Maceachern is gone if we try to send him down. He's a good 13th/14th guy. Kostin can't be that.

Kyrou if he ever plays again will start in San Antonio. So should Kostin. Top line. Top PP. Hope he kills it. He'll be an exciting call up when someone goes down.

If Kostin destroys the AHL, trade Fabbri for a pick and give him that spot.
Wanna make an avatar bet that MachEachern isn't claimed, if he's sent down? I'm not sure what the team will do with the healthy scratch options right now, but I think MacEachern may be getting bypassed by Poganski anyway. But if things to work out the MacEachern gets waived, I'll wager with you that no one claims him. (I like him for his role, but he holds little value around the league. Teams have their own young guys they want to groom in those roles.)

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I’m at peace with the Faulk trade for the time being, but Army is definitely showing a pattern here lately between Tage and Bokk. I’ve got no complaints right now about how we are drafting and flipping players that are a few years away, but suffice it to say this is probably the shallowest our prospect pool has been in recent memory. Outside the pro-level, the only two guys I think have any real shot of contributing are Tucker, Perunovich, and Alexandrov. And I don’t think any of them are top prospects, probably B+ at best.

I don’t mind it now, and will mind it even less if we win another Cup soon, but we should also probably be mentally preparing ourselves for a slide into mediocrity in a few years when the cupboards aren’t stocked with quality guys coming of age at the right time. The same way that guys we drafted between 2012-2016 are ready to play now, we’ll be missing those reinforcements in a few years UNLESS Army also continues to flip out vets like Stastny during off-years for picks and prospects to re-stock.

I’m sad to see Bokk go, I always thought he would look terrific on a line with Kyrou. But, like I said, overall I’m fine with it if Faulk works out. If he doesn’t, that NTC is going to be brutal.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I’m at peace with the Faulk trade for the time being, but Army is definitely showing a pattern here lately between Tage and Bokk. I’ve got no complaints right now about how we are drafting and flipping players that are a few years away, but suffice it to say this is probably the shallowest our prospect pool has been in recent memory. Outside the pro-level, the only two guys I think have any real shot of contributing are Tucker, Perunovich, and Alexandrov. And I don’t think any of them are top prospects, probably B+ at best.

I don’t mind it now, and will mind it even less if we win another Cup soon, but we should also probably be mentally preparing ourselves for a slide into mediocrity in a few years when the cupboards aren’t stocked with quality guys coming of age at the right time. The same way that guys we drafted between 2012-2016 are ready to play now, we’ll be missing those reinforcements in a few years UNLESS Army also continues to flip out vets like Stastny during off-years for picks and prospects to re-stock.

I’m sad to see Bokk go, I always thought he would look terrific on a line with Kyrou. But, like I said, overall I’m fine with it if Faulk works out. If he doesn’t, that NTC is going to be brutal.
Our prospect pool is thin but I think you could say the same thing about most of the other top teams in league today. We cashed in chips to win now. If we have to pay price down the road so be it. Flags fly forever.

That said, Jaybo, Gunnar, Perron, and Steen are only guys over 30 so not like we are in need of much prospect infusion in next several years.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

The front office cut bait on Thompson, but it’s looking like maybe he won’t pan out anyway. Bokk’s stock is down a bit. Maybe it’s down even more behind closed doors.

During the same period, they’ve acquired prospects like Sundqvist and Sanford. Both of those guys appear good wagers.

I guess I don’t see a pattern of dealing Blues prospects as much as simple asset management and reassessment of a guy’s value. I’m certain Buffalo wanted Kyrou or Thomas. But even with ROR on the hook, Armstrong was not willing to deal one of them. That’s pretty remarkable. It would have been a fair price, frankly.

Armstrong has done a great job of aligning the prime age of the core players with the Cup window, and under the Cap. Faulk enhances that where Bokk would not have contributed for several years, and maybe never. Honestly, in terms of the Cup window, the Blues just added a 3-time all-star in his prime for a guy who was 6/7 and probably overpaid by the arbitrator with respect to his career trajectory. It didn’t detract from the Cup chances at all, only added.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Just a couple of notes.

Tucker was booted from the game on Thursday for a match penalty for kneeing. Barrie has been crushed both Thursday and Friday.

Alexandrov is back and scored his his first if the season in his first game back

Wash.... had a goal last night also.

Michel also scored.

Decent night for the kids

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Just a couple of notes.

Tucker was booted from the game on Thursday for a match penalty for kneeing. Barrie has been crushed both Thursday and Friday.

Alexandrov is back and scored his his first if the season in his first game back

Wash.... had a goal last night also.

Michel also scored.

Decent night for the kids
Appreciate the updates! I'm excited to see how Washkurak develops and learn more about Alexandrov this season.

Wanted to add a couple thoughts in regards to the ongoing discussion of losing Bokk. I got to see Bokk play in a couple SHL games last season (not in person, tuned in online) and have to say that I came away pretty unimpressed. Yes he had a nice shot and good hands, but he rarely got a chance to use them because he was losing a lot of battles/struggling to hold onto the puck and protect against defenders.

Now, take this with an enormous grain of salt due to small sample size and my limited overall viewings of the SHL as a league. He was a teenager playing in a mens league and some slack should undoubtedly be cut. Just saying Bokk has always been a fairly long shot to make an impact in the NHL IMO. Wish him the best, but I've never been as high on Bokk as some.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Appreciate the updates! I'm excited to see how Washkurak develops and learn more about Alexandrov this season.

Wanted to add a couple thoughts in regards to the ongoing discussion of losing Bokk. I got to see Bokk play in a couple SHL games last season (not in person, tuned in online) and have to say that I came away pretty unimpressed. Yes he had a nice shot and good hands, but he rarely got a chance to use them because he was losing a lot of battles/struggling to hold onto the puck and protect against defenders.

Now, take this with an enormous grain of salt due to small sample size and my limited overall viewings of the SHL as a league. He was a teenager playing in a mens league and some slack should undoubtedly be cut. Just saying Bokk has always been a fairly long shot to make an impact in the NHL IMO. Wish him the best, but I've never been as high on Bokk as some.
I didn't get to see much live, but I always got the impression that Bokk was a project pick. Kid with a huge amount of upside but a lot of development to do.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Can anyone think of former Blues draft picks who were traded and ended up being a mistake?

Maybe you can argue Bishop. But the details of that situation were unusual.

Eller, Cole, even EJ, none of them turned out better than expected. Do any of us regret trading Thompson? I’m not sure if they were lower on Bokk, but they didn’t esteem him like Thomas and Kyrou. I think the front office has earned trust with regard to when they cut bait on a prospect. If it’s burned them in recent years, I can’t think of when.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Can anyone think of former Blues draft picks who were traded and ended up being a mistake?

Eller, Cole, even EJ, none of them turned out better than expected. Do any of us regret trading Thompson? I’m not sure if they were lower on Bokk, but they didn’t esteem him like Thomas and Kyrou. I think the front office has earned trust with regard to when they cut bait on a prospect. If it’s burned them in recent years, I can’t think of when.
I’m still upset with Brind’Amour deal.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012

The extra 1st for schenn/Lehtera contract becoming Farabee annoys me

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
The extra 1st for schenn/Lehtera contract becoming Farabee annoys me
Don’t understand where this narrative arose. 2 late 1s for top line center seems like market value. Flyers had cap space to absorb Lehtera and hoped he would rebound.

We even got 1st back for Reaves to mitigate. Didn’t think we would suck bad enough that 1st would be so high. But Schenn was key player on Cup team so worked out ok I think.

Reactions: RampageNate

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018

The David Lindblad trade turned out pretty well.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Don’t understand where this narrative arose. 2 late 1s for top line center seems like market value. Flyers had cap space to absorb Lehtera and hoped he would rebound.

We even got 1st back for Reaves to mitigate. Didn’t think we would suck bad enough that 1st would be so high. But Schenn was key player on Cup team so worked out ok I think.

oh it worked out great in the end.... I just think farabee is gonna be a very good player and wish lehteras contract/ terrible 17-18 didn’t cost us the extra pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad