Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Draisaitl > Parayko
Nurse > Berglund + Kostin

There is no deal to be made here

I hate when fans do this . It can be shown in a different light as well

Parayko >>> Nurse

Draisaitl at 8.5 > Berglund + Kostin

I compared the D to D the way fans like to do it is change it to show all the values favours the other team .

Now I would not do a trade until at least 1/2 thru next season . I like to see RNH with McDavid for 1/2 a year if they are still producing we have a winger for McDavid and a high end 2C in Draisaitl . I also have defended Nurse since his draft year +1 . He has improved every year so I don't want to see Nurse moved at all . All in all not bad value for HF but as an Oiler fan I say no unless a real nice prospect is coming back . Fans of other team bash on the Oilers for having an unbalance team and wasting McDavid's ELC but the Blues have never had a high end C if they had I think they have at least 1 cup banner hanging from their rafters

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Draisaitl is playing center. McDavid is playing wing when they play together, and yes, wingers carry the puck too - see Taylor Hall.
so your saying that mcdavid plays the wing and Drais is the center. Yeah thats Beliveable

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
You wingers take face-offs all the time. Your rankings are point based hence the fantasy rankings. If you are trying to say that drias gets youPetro or an elite top 5-10 dman in the league then who is really the homer. It has been posted several times that 65-70% percent of the time drais is playing with Mcdavid. Who do you think is playing center. The position of center is more than taking faceoffs. It has to do with actually playing down the middle, setting up plays, crashing the net, Being the most defensively responsible player. All you have added were fantasy rankings which are point based, Faceoff numbers. Lets be perfectly clear. Parayko is a young, cost controlled, multi year contracted offensive rhd d, he would be the best dman on your team and would play the #1 Rhd role. Those are facts. He hold more value than Drais.

Check my post . I am very reasonable in the value of Edmonton players heck you can see that by my other posting in this thread . It been post several times by whom ? Draisaitl first year he played C and we all heard his stats were inflated because of Hall . Last year he played mostly with McDavid . This year it was about 50/50 until RNH went to play with McDavid . So he probably played 70% of this year as an C and point production wise it is pretty equal how many PPG he gets centring his own line and playing with McDavid .

My only concern I have is once the Oilers were completely out of playoff contention Draisaitl seems to have checked out . It is something I will watch for . Maybe he is a little bang up but if he is coasting thru the season because the Oilers are going no where that is a concern for an 8.5 million player . He needs to be a leader . Just something I am watching for

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
My counter is that the Oilers don't shop for a #1D from a team that doesn't want to give one up, and that St. Louis finds their #1C elsewhere too.

This will go the same as every other time.

"We want Parayko."

"OK, we want Draisaitl."

"No, not Draisaitl, Parayko isn't worth that much because (insults player). How about Nugent-Hopkins+?"

"No, Nugent-Hopkins sucks because (reasons), we'll add to Parayko for Draisaitl though."

"Reasons Parayko isn't as good as St. Louis fans say"

"Reasons why Nugent-Hopkins sucks"

And around in circles we will go.

yup, kinda like that.
Right now every playoff team is a cup winner, until they aren't.
I imagine that The Blues will do the same kind of reassessment of their team
that the Oilers are currently doing. Edmonton is just doing this earlier. Not making the playoffs or an early exit have a way of forcing teams to examine needs and strengths.
So let's see how the Blues feel about their season and their team after it's over.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Untrue. Drai takes the faceoffs typically but McDavid takes the responsibilities of a centre after that. There is more to playing C than taking the faceoff.

haven't we been over this before? A Center takes faceoffs - if Draisaitl is taking them when McDavid is on the ice then McDavid is the winger for that line. Enough said

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Parayko >>> Nurse

I compared the D to D the way fans like to do it is change it to show all the values favours the other team .

Now I would not do a trade until at least 1/2 thru next season . I like to see RNH with McDavid for 1/2 a year if they are still producing we have a winger for McDavid and a high end 2C in Draisaitl . I also have defended Nurse since his draft year +1 . He has improved every year so I don't want to see Nurse moved at all . All in all not bad value for HF but as an Oiler fan I say no unless a real nice prospect is coming back . Fans of other team bash on the Oilers for having an unbalance team and wasting McDavid's ELC but the Blues have never had a high end C if they had I think they have at least 1 cup banner hanging from their rafters

If you’re going to >>> Parayko/Nurse, you need to >>>>>>>>> Draisaitl/Berglund and Kostin...

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
haven't we been over this before? A Center takes faceoffs - if Draisaitl is taking them when McDavid is on the ice then McDavid is the winger for that line. Enough said
That is incredibly incorrect and if you think that a centre's only job difference compared to wingers is to take faceoffs you need to take a deeper look at the role of a player on the ice. Iginla used to take a majority of faceoffs for a few seasons for the Flames, but he was a winger in every other sense of the game. I shouldn't have to explain this on a site like HF, but a center has more responsibilities out there, especially in the defensive zone, and wingers are often expected to be stronger on the boards. Draisaitl takes the faceoffs, but McDavid plays the centre of the ice and he (Draisaitl) plays along the right wing. McDavid is the one back playing the centreman's role in the defensive zone. Seriously, stop trying to sound like an expert if you don't understand the fundamentals of the sport.

Last edited:

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
So when ever a centerman gets kicked out of the circle the guy who takes the face off is now the center for the entire shift. The every player in the NHL is considered a cente with as many times as we see the lines men kick people out. lol

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Not sure why everyone keeps talking about the Oilers trading a C away.

Nuge has complemented McDavid on LW perfectly. So the Oilers top 4 C's going into next season are

McDavid, Draisaitl, Strome and Khaira

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Untrue. Drai takes the faceoffs typically but McDavid takes the responsibilities of a centre after that. There is more to playing C than taking the faceoff.
Actually, its a center by committee scenario. If McDavid is caught deep in the OZ then Drai covers defensive and vice versa. Leon takes the draws because he's better at it. Its happening right now with the McNuge combo. Instead, Connor takes most of the OZ, NZ draws..and they switch between them for DZ.

Connor just swings back deep to break out the puck with speed, when possible.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
So when ever a centerman gets kicked out of the circle the guy who takes the face off is now the center for the entire shift. The every player in the NHL is considered a cente with as many times as we see the lines men kick people out. lol
Agreed. its not the entire shift...more like for the moment...once they can switch back..they do...often happens so smoothly you don't even notice it happens.

You don't want your winger (who for the most part are not as responsible defensively as a C) left covering McDavid their entire shift...dude would get rocked.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
If the cap raises 5m and 70 point players start getting paid 10-11 m per year it doesn't look all that bad honestly.

The only concern that I'd have is I want to see him centering his own line for a full year without 97. I don't think he'll drop off all that much but it's pretty easy to say that there will be some sort of drop.
And I'd like to see him with a PP coach who has some clue what he's doing. Unfortunately we can't always get what we want.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
McDavid is the one back playing the centreman's role in the defensive zone. Seriously, stop trying to sound like an expert if you don't understand the fundamentals of the sport.

Actually I think you are both right and both wrong. It struck me that your "fundamentals" argument is a little bit unfair and on shaky ground. Certainly you are correct that a C has more responsibilities than just taking a draw...

but many teams rotate the C role based on which forward makes it back into the neutral or d-zone first. The F1 takes the "traditional" or "fundamental" defensive role of C. He's the one covering the slot, he's the one supporting the D down low. When Drai and McD are on the ice, they will each play that role, even on the same shift, depending on how the play develops and where they each are on ice when the puck is turned over.

That's the advantage that McLellan has always enjoyed in San Jose as well... he likes two C's on his best lines so that they are never caught without that "traditional C" defensive mentality at any point in a shift.

The only "fundamental" C role that they try to have McD do most of the time is the low curl on the breakout so that he ends up with the puck... otherwise they play the "C" roles mostly independently (with exception of face offs).

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Agreed. its not the entire shift...more like for the moment...once they can switch back..they do...often happens so smoothly you don't even notice it happens.

You don't want your winger (who for the most part are not as responsible defensively as a C) left covering McDavid their entire shift...dude would get rocked.
I dont agree. I have played hockey my whole life all the way to college. i was a right winger, i occasionally took face offs in the defensive zone for a scheme we ran. I always returned to right wing and my duties rarely did i ever perform the center duty unless we had an injury. I think you are over thinking the situation.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
And I'd like to see him with a PP coach who has some clue what he's doing. Unfortunately we can't always get what we want.

Well let me tell you, if its STL inquiring about that that doesn't really matter. Our PP may be just as bad as yours. We like playing the game of pass it to Tarasenko and everyone stare at him. The other fun one was get it down low to Stastny and see if he can do a jam play. :laugh:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Well let me tell you, if its STL inquiring about that that doesn't really matter. Our PP may be just as bad as yours. We like playing the game of pass it to Tarasenko and everyone stare at him. The other fun one was get it down low to Stastny and see if he can do a jam play. :laugh:
Haha fair point. I still think what Woodcroft is doing in Edmonton is nothing short of spectacular. A 14.4%, 31st ranked PP with the Art Ross winner and a top 20 EVP player.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008

Parayko >>> Nurse

Or I was comparing the players in a much more realistic way? Like how all trades are compared using the two most valuable pieces and going from there?

Are you seriously trying to tell me the gap between Nurse and Parayko is more than Draisaitl vs. Berglund and Kostin because Drai makes 8.5?

:facepalm:

Reactions: HailMcJesus

yababy

Jun 26, 2015

unless you can find data on how much time a player plays in each area of the ice.
If McDavid does not take faceoffs, I don't see him play a much different role than Taylor Hall, Patrick Kane or Johnny Gaudreau.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Who is St. Louis' 2C? If we are moving Drai + Nurse for Parayko + we had better be getting a quality C in return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad