Half-Assed GDT: Blues NHL draft + FA market 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

TarasenkosForearm

Oct 21, 2017
Well, duh. Nobody carries a team all the way to a Cup unless you are a goaltender once in a blue moon. We still wouldn't have even sniffed the Cup without him, and our team is significantly weaker right now then it was when we won the Cup.
That year. The league is fluid. I just see a change in the way the backend needs to be to win.

TarasenkosForearm

Oct 21, 2017
If that change is "Significantly worse at defense without being better at offense" then we are set.
I disagree with you about Petro's offensive prowess. I don't see it being worse for wear. I have a different vision than you and that's ok.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
I disagree with you about Petro's offensive prowess. I don't see it being worse for wear. I have a different vision than you and that's ok.

Even Strength Points between Pietrangelo and Krug the last 3 years

Pietrangelo: 32 goals, 62 assists, 96 points. (Tied for 6th among all Defensemen)
Krug: 19 goals, 49 assists, 79 points (28th in the NHL)

Even Strength Points in the 19-20 Season

Pietrangelo: 10 goals, 19 assists, 29 Points (Tied for 9th in the NHL)
Krug: 7 goals, 14 asists, 21 points (Tied for 42nd in the NHL)

Krug is a Powerplay reliant player who also happened to play on a powerplay unit with 3 legitimate all star forwards. That is were all his production came from. Either he's been THE key to making Boston's PP elite, which we have nothing to back up, or he's going to drop off significantly in point total now that he's away from Pasta and friends.

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
Player plays a decade here. Was our best player for basically the entire decade. Leads the team to a Stanley Cup while wearing the C. Scores the Game Winning Goal. Leaves the next year in free agency when it feels like the team gave up on keeping him long before he gave up on coming back. Gets these responses.

This place sucks.

Congrats, you listed some achievements. No one knows what #'s and clauses Petro asked for when negotiations started over a year ago other than Army and Petro/his camp, but you can be damn well guaranteed Army didn't go out and get Faulk because he thought they were in the same ballpark on the contract.

I don't particularly care for players that get greedy and leave because they don't get every little thing they wanted. I felt the same way when Pujols left.

A lot of you have been crying about Army not giving in and offering a full NMC. Let me ask you something. When was the last time Army bought out a player. Never? Army will die on his hill standing by veterans who have standing with the team. FFS Steen has been moved to the 4th line, been injured, and Army hasn't bought him out. What makes ANYONE think Armstrong would trade or buyout Petro? He would have to literally become an AHL level player before Armstrong even entertained the thought.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I think will be rather hard unless the Blues find some elite talent that would be worth building around.
The Blues will have to bottom out to find that most likely, but if you start building a core of talent that is young to surround that player or players, you can speed up the process and make it somewhere between a retool and a rebuild.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

TarasenkosForearm

Oct 21, 2017
Even Strength Points between Pietrangelo and Krug the last 3 years

Pietrangelo: 32 goals, 62 assists, 96 points. (Tied for 6th among all Defensemen)
Krug: 19 goals, 49 assists, 79 points (28th in the NHL)

Even Strength Points in the 19-20 Season

Pietrangelo: 10 goals, 19 assists, 29 Points (Tied for 9th in the NHL)
Krug: 7 goals, 14 asists, 21 points (Tied for 42nd in the NHL)

Krug is a Powerplay reliant player who also happened to play on a powerplay unit with 3 legitimate all star forwards. That is were all his production came from. Either he's been THE key to making Boston's PP elite, which we have nothing to back up, or he's going to drop off significantly in point total now that he's away from Pasta and friends.
I don't think Petro is that great on offense. I get the numbers, but he doesn't scream ozone possession or movement when I watch him. I see great stick work yeah. Just my own opinion.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
I don't particularly care for players that get greedy and leave because they don't get every little thing they wanted. I felt the same way when Pujols left.

Ah yes, because that was TOTALLY how that played out and not that the Cardinals low balled him intentionally to say they gave him an offer when he left in free agency. It even has the similarity of "Player spends most of his prime years on the team on a remarkably under market contract that helps push the team to Championship Run".

I actually view those situations as similar honestly. The difference being it was easy to think Pujols would fall into the abyss at some point, and I thought the Cardinals made the smart call (Also, I'm a Cubs fan not a Cards fan, but everything about how that played out was pretty transparent.). I just don't think Pietrangelo has a came that is going to just fall into the abyss. It's not the style of Hockey Player he is. He might be overpaid in the last few years, but unless he literally just stops trying, his game is similar to a Lidstrom, Giordano, or Weber. Players who build there games over there size without being overly physical and there brain.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Remember all the times he would let pucks get by him and exit the zone while we were on the PP? It's like dude use your mother f***ing foot once or twice in your f***ing life to stop the puck. I actually saw him during the cup run drop to his knees a few times to keep the puck in the zone but apparently he forgot how to do that this year.

mike1320

Remember all the times he would let pucks get by him and exit the zone while we were on the PP? It's like dude use your mother f***ing foot once or twice in your f***ing life to stop the puck. I actually saw him during the cup run drop to his knees a few times to keep the puck in the zone but apparently he forgot how to do that this year.
haha I remember a certain poster here constantly complaining about this and now he started a thread asking if Army should be fired for not getting Petro signed.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Player plays a decade here. Was our best player for basically the entire decade. Leads the team to a Stanley Cup while wearing the C. Scores the Game Winning Goal. Leaves the next year in free agency when it feels like the team gave up on keeping him long before he gave up on coming back. Gets these responses.

This place sucks.

“I have always wanted to remain a Blue.”

“Here’s my contract demands and they are nonnegotiable”

Why can’t I enjoy the past and also find some fault in Pietrangelo for his handling of the situation? I have repeatedly said Pietrangelo is in the top 5 D conversation. As a Blues fan who watched every playoff exit for over 20 straight years I certainly enjoyed watching the Blues win a Cup.

Pietrangelo was a big part of the team. Pietrangelo didn’t win the Cup, the team did. All the players played a role in winning the Cup. I’m a Blues fan. Pietrangelo isn’t a Blues player. You do realize he’s going to be trying to assist in making the Blues lose right??

People get too dramatic in their fandom. I can see it if he’s your relative and you pull for the player over a franchise but I don’t think it’s the case on these boards.

It’s my opinion, based on all public knowledge to this point, that like a lot of athletes Pietrangelo said one thing publicly when privately thought others. The part that really sticks out is Pietrangelo’s camp trying to play the victim by leaking false information to the media. That’s just extremely juvenile and bad faith negotiating.

I will root for the Blues and I will root against Vegas. Pietrangelo plays for Vegas now. It’s not any different than the countless other ex-Blues players but it’s a little worse with Pietrangelo because of the reasons already given. I don’t know why it would bother you.

It doesn’t matter to me If you are a Blues fan but you cheer for other teams or players. I think it’s a little weird but why should I care?? You get to be any kind of fan you want to be.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

This place sucks.
Some of us are just fans of the St. Louis Blues, not the St. Louis Pietrangelos.

If you’re upset he’s gone, that’s perfectly fine. But why do you get upset if not every single poster here is willing to kiss the player’s ass at every opportunity?

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
The Blues are trying to mold a group of D in the image of the old Hawks teams, Dallas, even Vancouver who we just lost too. They want point scoring, pmd. They want to get faster on the back end with more puck control. I understand their view on this 100%
Neither Krug or Faulk are fast.

CitizenSnips

TheFightingMongooses
Nov 23, 2011
St. Louis
“I have always wanted to remain a Blue.”

“Here’s my contract demands and they are nonnegotiable”

Why can’t I enjoy the past and also find some fault in Pietrangelo for his handling of the situation? I have repeatedly said Pietrangelo is in the top 5 D conversation. As a Blues fan who watched every playoff exit for over 20 straight years I certainly enjoyed watching the Blues win a Cup.

Pietrangelo was a big part of the team. Pietrangelo didn’t win the Cup, the team did. All the players played a role in winning the Cup. I’m a Blues fan. Pietrangelo isn’t a Blues player. You do realize he’s going to be trying to assist in making the Blues lose right??

People get too dramatic in their fandom. I can see it if he’s your relative and you pull for the player over a franchise but I don’t think it’s the case on these boards.

It’s my opinion, based on all public knowledge to this point, that like a lot of athletes Pietrangelo said one thing publicly when privately thought others. The part that really sticks out is Pietrangelo’s camp trying to play the victim by leaking false information to the media. That’s just extremely juvenile and bad faith negotiating.

I will root for the Blues and I will root against Vegas. Pietrangelo plays for Vegas now. It’s not any different than the countless other ex-Blues players but it’s a little worse with Pietrangelo because of the reasons already given. I don’t know why it would bother you.

It doesn’t matter to me If you are a Blues fan but you cheer for other teams or players. I think it’s a little weird but why should I care?? You get to be any kind of fan you want to be.

This 1000%

Nobody would ever say he wasn't a great player or wasn't a huge piece of how we brought home our first cup. But when you say that, it doesn't mean he was the ONLY reason which some here seem to think. I will always come back to a great quote from my all time favorite movie.... "The name on the front is a hell of a lot more important that the one on the back"

I will always be a fan of the team and not a player that handles situations poorly. For that matter, even GM's who handle situations poorly. We all can point to A LOT of those. This situation, I truly believe the GM was correct.

Flame away

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Nate Schmidt got 2022 3rd round pick.

I would not be high on what Dunn gets.
Its buyers market.

It was also adding 6 mil AAV for no money going back in a flat cap to get a franchise defenseman. Obviously, extenuating circumstances.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Some of us are just fans of the St. Louis Blues, not the St. Louis Pietrangelos.

If you’re upset he’s gone, that’s perfectly fine. But why do you get upset if not every single poster here is willing to kiss the player’s ass at every opportunity?

As a fan of the Blues, you want your team to be the best it can be, right? Singing Pietrangelo on the contract Vegas gave would make us a better team than Krug on his contract, AINEC. So you can be a fan of the Blues, and not happy with this deal. Its the St. Louis Doug Armstrong's that are the ones who don't care as long as everyone kneels before the Army altar.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
In my bipolar mood about losing Petro. This thought just occurred to me:

We won the Cup 3 years after not resigning Backes. Maybe not resigning our captains leads us back to another parade and banner in 2023

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
it doesn't mean he was the ONLY reason which some here seem to think
God damn, for the 800th time during this fiasco: No one - aside from people who were fine with letting Petro walk and making bad faith arguments - has ever said or believed this! It's this handy strawman a not insignificant portion of this board is using, but I assure you no one has made this argument. The most generous people have gotten is saying they don't win that Cup without him (which I think is fair, you may disagree, but ultimately we have no way of knowing). Or alternatively, folks -including myself- believe they are not legitimate Cup contenders without him and how the team is currently constructed (which even goes beyond Pietrangelo walking). But that is not the same thing as saying the only reason the Blues won is because of Pietrangelo. I think his contributions to the Cup win have been steadily diminished over the past month or so but that is neither here nor there.

Sorry I kinda went off on you specifically. I know you mentioned that he was big part of the Cup run in your post and it isn't personal. I've just seen this posted many, many times and it is just a false representation of what is actually going on.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
It's concerning... Armstrong was willing to make the team worse in the short-term because he was afraid of the chance that the club might be worse in years 5-7 of the deal. Yet guys who are worthy of NMC are also likely prideful to the point that if their play fell off dramatically and the club really wanted them gone they'd rather play elsewhere rather than be sat. So really, what's the risk of giving a NMC-clause to a guy when you've already essentially given NM-contracts to guys like Faulk and Schenn? Those two guys at their rates will be just as difficult to move at the end of their career as a Pietrangelo would with his contract-language. And it turns out $8M x 8-years (maybe 7) with a NMC likely would have gotten a deal done in St. Louis. Considering the Blues will have been paying $7.5M/year to Tarasenko for the bulk of 2-lost seasons, it's unfathomable that $8M/yr x 2 years (at the end of a contract) would be such an albatross...especially when the cap will presumably begin rising again in a few years.

It's now water under the bridge, but with the off-season upon us I have no issues with anybody questioning how this played out. Armstrong deserves all the scrutiny he's earned with this one as he's directly responsible for downgrading his team willingly. Ottawa, New Jersey and the Isles are the ONLY teams without a NMC on the books? Unbelievable.

Last edited:
Reactions: mk80 and The Note
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad