Half-Assed GDT: Blues NHL draft + FA market 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Lots of mixed messages.

I think it boils down to wanting to try something new. Plus, there was some bad blood between AP and ________. Maybe not just DA goes in the blank.

Xanadude

Jun 12, 2018
Ballwin
Lots of mixed messages.

I think it boils down to wanting to try something new. Plus, there was some bad blood between AP and ________. Maybe not just DA goes in the blank.
It just seems like something has been wrong in regards to Petro's relation to the team. No clue what or how or who exactly is the cause, but that's the vibe I'm getting from all of this fallout. I've certainly been unhappy at work before and sought a change, so I can't really hold it against him.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
It just seems like something has been wrong in regards to Petro's relation to the team. No clue what or how or who exactly is the cause, but that's the vibe I'm getting from all of this fallout. I've certainly been unhappy at work before and sought a change, so I can't really hold it against him.
I don't think it was necessarily that he was unhappy about being in St Louis, but more that he wasn't attached enough to give the hometown discount that we'd need to compete with other franchises who give him the bonuses and NMC that were ideal for him.

Reactions: Xanadude

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
I don't think it was necessarily that he was unhappy about being in St Louis, but more that he wasn't attached enough to give the hometown discount that we'd need to compete with other franchises who give him the bonuses and NMC that were ideal for him.
His words in the interview posted on Twitter would suggest otherwise.

"Not an easy decision when your roots are somewhere and again its a special place to us and really this is an important place to me and family and I have nothing but good things to say about here."

This guy didn't want to leave. But both sides drew a hard line in the sand and neither side blinked. This whole situation sucks.

Reactions: BlueOil

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
I have a really hard time believing Strickland right now considering the slew of misleading info he's been putting out for a month. I'm sure none of it is an outright lie, but he's shown a willingness to manipulate things he's heard and to try and help the FO narrative.
I saw a bunch of tweets from Scottie Upshall. It was in reply to the Strickland tweet.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I saw a bunch of tweets from Scottie Upshall. It was in reply to the Strickland tweet.

I have no comment on the issue.

But I will say that I love Upshall. It seemed like he loved his time in St. Louis and I appreciate a player that has no connection here but likes the city regardless.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO

His desire was to get something we weren’t able to give him, and stay in STL. So clearly there was a limit to his desire to stay. If he wasn’t willing to compromise to stay, even if staying was what he wanted, then he didn’t want to stay *that* much. I get wanting to make sure your family is set up, and I don’t begrudge Petro for wanting guaranteed security. But he played hardball on what essentially amounts to a technicality and got bit. If he stayed good throughout the next 7-8 years (which I personally think he will), then a NMC should be irrelevant, especially given the loyalty we’ve shown to a guy like Steen.

If we had done nothing on Friday, we’d be sitting here with nothing. If we had waited for Petro to get back from his Vegas trip, maybe he would have still decided to re-sign here, but it doesn’t sound like there had been any indication that that was on the table. If his pride was so at stake, he could have just taken the very reasonable offer we gave him on Thursday night. That was a fair compromise that both sides could have lived with.

So, to me, it basically sounds like Newport backed him into a corner by playing hardball with Army, and then we didn’t wait around to see if our girlfriend decided she liked us or the new guy better.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
So why did Army acquire Faulk, safety if Pietro will walk? Did he feel if he doesn't give him extension he'll be out? What about Scandella, it was already codid-19 time?

excuses, if Army would wanted, Pietro would be Blues. It his job get it done no matter what. So it comes to this, Vegas valued Pietro more than Blues.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
So why did Army acquire Faulk, safety if Pietro will walk? Did he feel if he doesn't give him extension he'll be out? What about Scandella, it was already codid-19 time?

excuses, if Army would wanted, Pietro would be Blues. It his job get it done no matter what. So it comes to this, Vegas valued Pietro more than Blues.
Scandella had nothing to do with Pietrangelo, stop this narrative. Scandella was signed to replace Bouwmeester. Almost the exact same cap hit and was automatically placed with Parayko. You can blame Faulk all you want for Pietro, but blaming Scandella for is nonsensical.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Scandella had nothing to do with Pietrangelo, stop this narrative. Scandella was signed to replace Bouwmeester. Almost the exact same cap hit and was automatically placed with Parayko. You can blame Faulk all you want for Pietro, but blaming Scandella for is nonsensical.
So covid-19 was excuse too?

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Not saying anything about COVID-19. I'm saying Scandella was picked up due to Jbos heart attack.
We had player in the system could have played that spot, but not given chance.

In my edes Faulk, Scandella and Krug are just terrible spend of money. 16.250mill.$ :thumbd:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Where did he mention COVID?
It has noted a excuse for why Blues didn't gave contract, 'cus covid and flat cap. When don't give contract to mediocre players.

We had and have guy like Mikkola could easily replace Jbo spot, but not given chance. I still see Mikkola is better vs Scandella, with Parayko.

Reactions: TK 421

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
We had player in the system could have played that spot, but not given chance.

In my edes Faulk, Scandella and Krug are just terrible spend of money. 16.250mill.$ :thumbd:
Yeah let's just give an unproven rookie minutes in the top four. That's the smartest thing ever to do. I love Mikkola, I truly do, but, Until he can PROVE that he belongs in the top 4, he is NOT a top 4. Scandella has shown he is a decent #4/#5, Mikkola hasn't shown he is a NHL player outside of a few very good games.

Reactions: DoubleK81

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
His desire was to get something we weren’t able to give him, and stay in STL. So clearly there was a limit to his desire to stay. If he wasn’t willing to compromise to stay, even if staying was what he wanted, then he didn’t want to stay *that* much. I get wanting to make sure your family is set up, and I don’t begrudge Petro for wanting guaranteed security. But he played hardball on what essentially amounts to a technicality and got bit. If he stayed good throughout the next 7-8 years (which I personally think he will), then a NMC should be irrelevant, especially given the loyalty we’ve shown to a guy like Steen.

If we had done nothing on Friday, we’d be sitting here with nothing. If we had waited for Petro to get back from his Vegas trip, maybe he would have still decided to re-sign here, but it doesn’t sound like there had been any indication that that was on the table. If his pride was so at stake, he could have just taken the very reasonable offer we gave him on Thursday night. That was a fair compromise that both sides could have lived with.

So, to me, it basically sounds like Newport backed him into a corner by playing hardball with Army, and then we didn’t wait around to see if our girlfriend decided she liked us or the new guy better.
I don't think "technicality" is a very accurate representation of the impact a full NMC and $30+ million in signing bonuses has for a player's future.

Reactions: Novacain

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I just listened to JRs podcast with Petro. I genuinely do believe his comment of referring to being excited about the new challenge was taken out of context. I heard nothing in that interview that changes my opinion that he wanted to stay up until very recently.

Agreed. He's clearly pissed at Strickland and rightfully so.

Reactions: Thallis

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
This is a fantastic interview. Probably need the Kleenex boxes. I sure did. Pietrangelo is a class act. I wish him nothing but the best. Can't wait to watch him succeed in Vegas.

I want to listen to JR's podcast. Im not ready to listen yet.

Some highlights

essentially he stated he didn’t want to leave, but he had provisions that he didn’t want to back down from, that only solidified their importance with the results of the pandemic.

He wished nothing but the best for DA, the Blues, fans, St Louis in general, and the chances he’ll be back, possibly even as part of the alumni group.

Rivs & BK – October 14th, 2020 – Alex Pietrangelo takes us through the negotiations, looks back at his Blues career & says the Blues are in a good place moving forward - 101 ESPN

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Keep in mind which of the two between Strickland and Rutherford butters there bread by working with the Blues on there TV broadcast, and which one is employed by the Athletic.
One butters his bread from the Blues, the other butters his bread by generating clicks/subscriptions/etc.

Strickland will certainly tout whatever is more inline with the Blues, but Rutherford is always going to post whatever gets his article the most views.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad