Confirmed with Link: Blues have signed Joakim Lindstrom

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Also with any hope this shuts up the contingent that thought the Blues were going to sign Vrabata to play 3rd line wing for $15/hour.
Not that I would not be completely in favor of it, just that it wasn't going to happen.

It was $15.75 an hour, plus tips. He could have cleaned up selling the hats from his hat tricks. And we'd be stupid if we could sign him and didn't because we had a Sweedish guy who MAY be a decent 3rd liner. We already have one of those in Paajarvi. Didn't stop us from signing another. The whole upside of this signing is we can bury him in the AHL if we sign a guy like Vrbata. So no, it will not shut us up. Viva Vrbata!!!!!

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
It was $15.75 an hour, plus tips. He could have cleaned up selling the hats from his hat tricks. And we'd be stupid if we could sign him and didn't because we had a Sweedish guy who MAY be a decent 3rd liner. We already have one of those in Paajarvi. Didn't stop us from signing another. The whole upside of this signing is we can bury him in the AHL if we sign a guy like Vrbata. So no, it will not shut us up. Viva Vrbata!!!!!

As I said, I would love to see Vrbata playing on the a Blues but this fantasy I hear on a daily basis (not as much here) of him signing for 7.5 mil over two years to play on the third line has become irritating. Vrabata leaves Phoenix he is going to want top 6 time and over 4/season.

Our lesser Lindstrom hopefully clears that up.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
As I said, I would love to see Vrbata playing on the a Blues but this fantasy I hear on a daily basis (not as much here) of him signing for 7.5 mil over two years to play on the third line has become irritating. Vrabata leaves Phoenix he is going to want top 6 time and over 4/season.

Our lesser Lindstrom hopefully clears that up.

I agree Vrbata is a stretch. But no more than Pavelski who is 3rd on our big board. Or Thornton who you keep voting for in that thread. Let us dream. Reality will come crashing down soon enough when Armstrong mismanages things and we choke in the playoffs.

In seriousness though, I don't think Lindstrom changes anything. He is a depth signing. If we can get someone better, we do it. He's like what they wanted the Morrow signing to be last year, only in reverse. Our team was set (or so they thought), but they got him cheap. They took him to add depth. In this case, Lindstrom came before the team was set, but he is still cheap so we grabbed him for depth.

I'd really love to get a guy who should be a second liner playing on our third line. Whether there is a guy willing to do that, I don't know, but it would be greatly helpful. You can argue that Vrbata wouldn't come here because of money or years, but a 6-figure salary depth player doesn't effect it at all.

Girth Butcher

Mar 15, 2014
St. Louis
Post #2 -I like this move as it offers practically no risk, but has huge reward potential. There was a guy named Pavol Demitra (RIP) that didn't quite make it in the NHL in his first couple of tries, but we all know what he was able to do with a change of scenery. Let's hope Lindstrom's half that type of player.

I recall Hitch flipping Steen and Backes at Center in certain situations...face-off locations, etc.

Could we see a scenario where...
1- Steen centers Jaden Schwartz and Tarasenko, and move Lindstrom alongside Backes and Oshie?
2- an all Swede line with Lindstrom/Steen/Bergy (if Bergy is retained)

Like every die-hard Blues fan, I would prefer an elite, top line #1 center to pair with Jaden and Frank, but I am afraid Stastny will want/get over 7MM (if he is even interested in talking to STL), and hopefully Army isn't forced to overpay in a trade for that type of player (Spezza, Pavelski, etc) because everyone thinks the Blues are so desperate for a #1 center. I worry that leaves us with another reclamation project (Roy) type acquisition.

Watching these playoffs, I think the Blues need another speedy, gritty 3rd liner (does Sobotka have a twin or a Scott Nichol type) as I don't quite see a killer instinct or attitude in MPS or Jaskin. I hope they get the confidence to become that type of 3rd liner with 10G/20A/30 Pts or 15G/30A/45Pts while offering hard matchups against the opponents top lines.

A lot to ask for, but so is my season ticket bill from the Blues.

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I think grabovski is the most realistic option.

He's coming a meh season.

His last contract wasn't anything special.

He didn't get signed till late in the off season.

Management has said they want more depth on scoring, even with being on the 3rd line, he should be utilized at worst as a 2 way forward with offensive liberties.

We lost in the first round to the defending and as painful as it is to say...probably repeat champions with a battered roster. This team didn't choke, we are still viewed as a contender, so cup chance for him

Adding someone with grabo's skill would make our PP oozing with potential.

I'd say cammaleri too but coming off a big contract and consistent top 6, he'd get a better offer elsewhere

Girth Butcher

Mar 15, 2014
St. Louis
I was hoping the Blues looked at Grabovski last year. He was angry and had something to prove and I thought another Russian (Grachev decided to go back to the KHL) might give Tarasenko a comrade/teammate to help mentor him.

Since Grabovski was a compliance buyout (surprisingly) I wonder if there will be similar buy out surprises this year? I hope that Army/Stillman consider this and we avoid the Dallas retreads, and go after a long-term solution for a key player in late his 20's, early 30's.

Although, with the cap ceiling increasing, I would expect teams to make every effort to trade - and retain some salary - to minimize their lo$$e$ as opposed to eating the buy-out cost (which is 1/3 or 2/3 of remaining contract, depending on players age). The difference between a 66% buy out, or a say 50% retained salary for 1 season is significant. IF, for sake of argument, a buyout of a TJ Oshie type contract became necessary the difference would be about 2MM. (And that's a reasonable contract). Would a team be willing to save 2 million AND unload a player they no longer want AND get a mid-round pick or prospect to unload an unwanted, overpaid player? I see lots of trades at the draft because of this opportunity.

We might be able to get some over-paid skill player who wants to show that his former team misused him (see Grabovski comments last year) and helps the Blues make a serious Cup run. It would be a little cheaper in terms of cost, and in terms of assets, than a Blockbuster deal. Say a player comes with a discounted salary, then finds his game in STL. It might be affordable to the Blues budget and the salary in year 2-3 isn't as outrageous. I mean, somebody saw something to throw that much money at a player.

The more I watch these Playoff games, the more I think we aren't fast and furious enough. I like our team, but a meaner defenseman and a physical winger is critical to compete with these teams.

erderuft

Jun 28, 2011
Borås, Sweden
Short little interview/article with Alexander Steen where he speaks about Lindström. Original found here. Own translation.

---
After winning the SHL playing for Skellefteå and getting a bronze medal with Tre Kronor in Minsk, Joakim Lindström is ready to play in the NHL again.

He has a huge supporter in Alexander Steen.
--I've always thought that Jocke is good enough for the NHL and never really understood the claims that he isn't. He's that good in my eyes, says Steen, who's home in Sweden during his summer vacation.

Alexander Steen and Jocke Lindström has known each other for more than ten years.
--The first time we met was with the Junior National Team, and we became really close friends during the 2004-05 season in Modo. We hung out together all the time back then, tells Steen, who was a big star in St Louis with 33 goals and 62 points in 68 games last season.

Next season he hopes he gets to play with Lindström, who recently won Guldpucken, an award given to the best player in the SHL.

When Steen heard that Blues had signed Lindström he cheered and called to congratulate his friend.
--I was was just very happy when I heard the deal was finished. Jocke is so damned worth this chance, because he's a really great guy and a fantastic hockey player.
---

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Short little interview/article with Alexander Steen where he speaks about Lindström. Original found here. Own translation.

---
After winning the SHL playing for Skellefteå and getting a bronze medal with Tre Kronor in Minsk, Joakim Lindström is ready to play in the NHL again.

He has a huge supporter in Alexander Steen.
--I've always thought that Jocke is good enough for the NHL and never really understood the claims that he isn't. He's that good in my eyes, says Steen, who's home in Sweden during his summer vacation.

Alexander Steen and Jocke Lindström has known each other for more than ten years.
--The first time we met was with the Junior National Team, and we became really close friends during the 2004-05 season in Modo. We hung out together all the time back then, tells Steen, who was a big star in St Louis with 33 goals and 62 points in 68 games last season.

Next season he hopes he gets to play with Lindström, who recently won Guldpucken, an award given to the best player in the SHL.

When Steen heard that Blues had signed Lindström he cheered and called to congratulate his friend.
--I was was just very happy when I heard the deal was finished. Jocke is so damned worth this chance, because he's a really great guy and a fantastic hockey player.
---
Thanks for posting this, I really think this guy is gonna be big for us this season.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Thanks for posting this, I really think this guy is gonna be big for us this season.

Army said in a Q&A that he sees Lindstom in a "top 6" scoring line role.

Also that our 3rd line is interchangeable with our 1st. ..so we should be rolling 3 high quality scoring lines

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
The girlfriend still refuses to pronounce his name correctly. Every time it's Wha-Keem Lindstrom.

This is really only an issue when she decides it's time to kick my butt in NHL 14 since my team is the actual Blues and hers is a more mutant form with 95+ level players littering the roster. Of course it's all she wants to play right now since she's actually able to read all the Blues stuff in real time.

Excellence9

May 7, 2013
I really hope he make it this time around I'm rooting for him!

Like many others have said in this thread he have played really well in the world cup and in the SHL and the skill is certainly there just hope it translates well in the NHL. I really think he can make a good last run in the NHL if given a valid chance on the 3rd line for example:
Steen/Berglund-Lehterä-Lindström

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Hey guys

Just wondering how Lindstrom's been looking. I heard he played on a line with Steen and Stastny the other night, how did that go?

Thanks
He's a little weak on the puck, but I can see skill. Skating isn't a problem, he's very quick. Also from the videos I've seen from Europe, he still loves to travel the half wall to the Point, cut back and open the lanes for a shot or pass. Imo the Blues can insulate his puck possession issues

SunDin

Dec 22, 2008
Hi Blues-fans, Im very curious to hear what you think about Lindstrom this far.
Ive followed him alot in his Swedish club years before.
Will he stay in Blues top6 & get PP minutes? Is he worth the spot so far?

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Hi Blues-fans, Im very curious to hear what you think about Lindstrom this far.
Ive followed him alot in his Swedish club years before.
Will he stay in Blues top6 & get PP minutes? Is he worth the spot so far?

Fast, good all-around skill, and seems to make his linemates better. He's a little too fancy sometimes, but I'm not sure if that's what he'll always be or just early season goofiness. He's definitely an NHL player who can play on a third scoring line and is being used that way. I bet he could be a second line winger on a very top-heavy team or a bad team, but on the Blues, he's the 9th/10th forward at even strength and on the powerplay (they tend to use 4 forwards on a unit). I think he'll have to get on a scoring roll for that to change, but I seriously, seriously doubt he cracks the top 6 in earnest, even if he always plays with top 6 linemates. It's a long season, though, so the biggest story could be how he does in the second half.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He's with Berglund as one of the guys just outside the PP that will get some time here and there.

SunDin

Dec 22, 2008
From what Ive seen from his years in Sweden, he is the better PP-guy compared to Berglund.. WIll be interessting to see if he can live up to that in the Blues too...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad