Confirmed with Link: Blues have signed Joakim Lindstrom

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Says something about him as a player when he comes back and wants to play for Hitch after despising him early in his career. Maybe tearing up the SHL just wasn't enough for him and now he's willing to do whatever it takes to have success in the NHL. Great signing, low risk and high reward.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I'd like to emphasize the point that Lindstrom chose the Blues from among "several" NHL offers. And for 700K, surely someone gave him a more enticing offer than that salary-wise. I think his relationship with Steen made it a lot more attractive, but its also nice to see the Blues being the winner in one of these situations.

With last season's trades kind of depleting some talent from the Blues (the Perron trade, the Stewart/Miller trade) and letting Miller and maybe Ott walk, the assets are getting thin for making a move. Even a trade for Spezza, who do you send back? (Berglund probably as the main piece, a 2nd, and a prospect we probably don't want to part with...maybe that's still not enough.)

Anyway, picking up a talented player who can slate onto the roster (3rd line) for nothing, its like having a late first, 2nd round talent whose already developed. Like signing a decent UFA without having to give a bad contract (overbid). The Blues need a couple more winning transactions like this to compensate for the dwindled asset pool. That and Paajarvi or Jaskin developing into a guy that demands a starting spot on the 3rd line.

erderuft

Jun 28, 2011
Borås, Sweden
Some Lindström quotes/article excerpts, gathered from a few Swedish sites. Own translation. Don't have the time to translate whole articles today. Apologies for misspellings etc.

From Norran:

Jocke is certainly happy about this opportunity. He's been in the NHL before, but never really got the breakthrough he has potential for.
--I've been in talks with St Louis for a while now. I've had the coach before, when I was a young player in Columbus. So, it feels good.

--Also, St Louis is a top team in the NHL, with a good chance to go all the way in a playoff next season. They've been a regular season top team the last three year.

Do you know Alexander Steen and Patrik Berglund?
--Steen and I are really great pals and hang out a lot during the summers. We played together in Modo when we were younger. I've played with Patrik Berglund in a national team tournament, so we know each other, too.

Does either the club or you have an out-clause in the contract, like when you played in Colorado?
--No. This time it's just a regular contract.

--I had quite a few offers to choose from, but the St Louis Blues really felt like the best alternative for me.

From Aftonbladet:

--It feels great, I really think I have a better chance to make it over there now.
In St Louis he'll be reunited with Ken Hitchcock who coached Lindström in Columbus. A key reason he chose St Louis.
--I had some options, I could sign similar contracts elsewhere, but this felt like the best alternative. Hitchcock knows what type of player I am.

--It's one heck of a challenge. I really feel ready to have another go at it.

From Expressen:

--I definitely feel that I'm a better player now than when I left the NHL a few years ago. Skellefteå is a fantastic place to grow as a player. They do a really great job with developing individual players. It has helped me alot.

Lindström says he's been in contact with Alexander Steen.
--Yes, we've been in contact. He speaks very highly of the team and all that. It'll be fun going over there.
But St Louis is also a team with many good players, they were among the absolute top teams this past season.
--They where interested and it felt like a great fit. They have some awesome players and is one of the best teams in the league. It's exciting being a part of that.
--I've had a couple of good years here, and I've really enjoyed playing here. But I feel that it's time to take this challenge on now.

There you have it. Not sure i buy these "he hated Hitchcock" theories.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
There you have it. Not sure i buy these "he hated Hitchcock" theories.

Thanks for the quotes. I definitely would not be reading anything in the Swedish press otherwise as my Swedish consists of a few words I had to look up when reading Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I think he may have actually disliked Hitchcock. Several people have mentioned it. It isn't uncommon for a young player to hate a coach who pushes him only to mature and realize it was for his best. Maybe Hitch saw more in him than he was giving, pushed him hard to show it. At that age, he complained instead. Now that he has grown up, he wants to go back and show his old coach he wasn't wrong about him. Now that is just speculation on my part. Don't take it as gospel. If it's true though, it would speak very highly of him. So I am going to choose to believe it.

smoothcriminal

May 23, 2014
Copied from the general discussion board:
Lindström is soooo much better than when he went to Colorado.
Sure that season he racked up a lot of points and was the top point scorer and 2nd goal scorer (28 g 60 a in 53 gp) in the SHL, but no one can say he dominated the ice or was even close to be the best player in the league. I mean neither before nor after 11 points in 18 play-off games he was even in the discussion for a place on a WC team.

It was a Martin St. Louis type of situation, best at scoring points but not the overall MVP best player, you wouldn't take St. Louis over Crosby or similar player that can dominate the ice.

So him not being that good in Colorado - no surprise.
He came back, and was about as good as before. Great with the puck, scored goals, but soft, sort of medium-slow and not very high aggressiveness, intensity and defensive awareness.

Same thing 2012-13 season, but you saw flashes of a play where he could dominate at times. But not nearly enough to be a serious contender for a WC roster spot.

But then something happened. The 13-14 season he came back way faster, way more aggressive, stronger on the puck and only became better defensively as the season went on. He started to look like a lock on the WC roster. I mean he was pretty clearly the best player in the league.

And in the play-offs he had a 1,5 pts/game average which is almost unheard of in the SHL, I think the points record is 23 points in 20 games, he had 18 points after 13 games, best pts/gp-average ever for a player to win the SHL playoffs and was TRULY dominating every game. And by the way Colby Armstrong played in the SHL this season scoring 20 points in 47 games (1 in 10 play off games) against Jocke's 81 points in 67. And now he looked like a lock for a top 6 spot on the WC team.

And after dominating the Sweden pre-WC games he went into the WC as a clear first liner, holding Gustav Nyquist out of the 1st line and the 1st PP on the basis that at the WC level on big ice he is clearly the better player. Not in the NHL game, but in the game that's played in the WC he was undisputably better. Which might or might not translate.

With a groin injury that made him miss half the game against Canada (in which he scored) and the game against Italy (where the other players competing for the internal points win scored 4 points), he scored 4 points against Czech Republic in 2 games, and on our only goal against Russia. So 5+6 in 8,5 games missing the one game where it was easy to score points.

So it wasn't like he accumulated points against the weaker nations, he was involved in almost every goal we scored against the Czechs, Canadians and Russians. He waaay overshadowed regular NHLers like Gustav Nyquist and Mikael Backlund through the tournament.

I mean if you had special studied him in the World Championship against NHL competition level players (Canada and Russia games at least) you'd have seen that there is potential. Won't say that he will realize the potential, but he overshadowed every NHLer he played against. Including Ovie and Malkin in the game against Russia.

So people saying "what kind of development can a player have from 28 to 30"... Well, he's gone from a pure scorer with no redeeming values who's not even been close to the WC to the dominating SHL player and by far the best WC player, and that's in ONE year.

I think he said, paraphrased "I realized that the talent can only take me so far, and to be my best I had to train better, which has made me much faster and stronger, and all-around better".

He's a completely different player with a completely different mindset now. That's why he's gone to a top scorer regular season that disappears in the SHL play-offs and is nowhere near the National Squad to the play off dominator and World Championship dominator first line lock.

What this will translate to in the NHL is uncertain. He might be a flop again. But on the big ice and SHL/SHL playoffs he's gone from just a scorer to a total hockey player. And the best Swedish player in the World Championships. It will be so interesting to see, because his sick development last year, I wasn't even sure it would translate to the WC, but he was as good against Canada and Russia as in the SHL. And those two teams has ONLY NHL-level players. So it's just the rink size that's the question, the competition he can handle. I mean he scored half a point per game in Phoenix and in those days he wasn't half the player he is now.

I for myself hope he flops, since he's on Skellefteå contract in the SHL and that is my team. And they have 2 straight SHL wins and Le Mat (SHL Stanley Cup equivalent) wins. Before he came to Colorado and also the year he came back from Colorado they were destroyed in the playoffs finals. The last two years his team has destroyed others in the playoffs (I think they lost four games in six 7-game play-off rounds the last couple of years) much because of his sick transition from a guy out of physical shape and bad mentality to faster, stronger and working harder.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I just hope you Swedes are right, but if he gets 30ish points and helps the PP, then I'll be very happy. That's basically what he did in Phoenix, was on pace for 37 points in 08-09.

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
Lindstrom has a clause in his contract that allows him to be assigned to Europe if he doesn't make the team. So, it sounds as if he and Jaskin (and Rattie?) will definitely be fighting for the same spot.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
Lindstrom has a clause in his contract that allows him to be assigned to Europe if he doesn't make the team. So, it sounds as if he and Jaskin (and Rattie?) will definitely be fighting for the same spot.

I firmly believe Lindstrom is already a lock for the roster, barring any unforeseen circumstances. Jaskin is fighting for Ott's spot while Lindstrom took Roy's.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I don't see any way Ty Rattie makes this team out of camp. He needs another year in the AHL, IMO. He could definitely be an injury call-up but I don't think he makes the roster until maybe the 2015 training camp.

Berglund, Lindstrom, Jaskin, Paajarvi will be ahead of him for 3rd-line time, and he's not going to be on the 4th-line.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I don't see any way Ty Rattie makes this team out of camp. He needs another year in the AHL, IMO. He could definitely be an injury call-up but I don't think he makes the roster until maybe the 2015 training camp.

Berglund, Lindstrom, Jaskin, Paajarvi will be ahead of him for 3rd-line time, and he's not going to be on the 4th-line.

I'm more than fine with this. I am a strong supporter of bringing along prospects slowly and not rushing guys to the NHL. I don't think Rattie would make the Blues better than other options next year, so I am all for letting him improve in the AHL.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO

IMO, the 4th line is pretty much set with Reaves/Cracknell/Lappierre/Porter. Third line I see Sobotka/Lindstrom/Paajarvi/Jaskin.

One of Berglund/Paajarvi/Jaskin will be traded IMO.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
IMO, the 4th line is pretty much set with Reaves/Cracknell/Lappierre/Porter. Third line I see Sobotka/Lindstrom/Paajarvi/Jaskin.

Cracknell is a UFA and I'm not sure I see him being re-signed.

Porter-Lapierre-Reaves is a very solid 4th line, but I can also see Army signing a guy who can legitimately compete with Porter for that last spot. Cracknell is a solid player, but Porter is pretty clearly the superior player.

In Army's end of year presser he mentioned that he wants more competition from the lower end of the lineup.

IMO Lindstrom/Jaskin/Paajarvi is a great competition for the 3rd line RW position. One of those 3 wins the position, another gets a bench spot and the 3rd goes to Chicago. I don't think we signed Lindstrom to set up another deal. I think it was a move to challenge Paajarvi and Jaskin to up their game.

erderuft

Jun 28, 2011
Borås, Sweden

Just listened to a podcast by two pretty well-informed Swedish hockey reporters, and they mentioned a rumour that Berglund was homesick and wasn't sure to be interested in another NHL deal right now. Apparently the whispers had started last year when he only signed for one year. Again, these are rumours and might very well be untrue. Just thought it was an interesting little tidbit. Could be bs though.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

We seen how our fourth line worked in the 2013 playoffs and then didn't really see it again until around playoff time this season. Hitch knows what to expect from those four and we win anyway during the regular season. If Jaškin is on the roster, I could easily see him being on the fourth line for the first half of the season. I don't really have too much issue with that as it is at least bringing a player along. If we were to go out and sign someone like Morrow for a fourth line role then I'll go *******.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Just listened to a podcast by two pretty well-informed Swedish hockey reporters, and they mentioned a rumour that Berglund was homesick and wasn't sure to be interested in another NHL deal right now. Apparently the whispers had started last year when he only signed for one year. Again, these are rumours and might very well be untrue. Just thought it was an interesting little tidbit. Could be bs though.

From what I heard last year, the one year deal was Blues decision. Berglund wanted a bigger money long term deal. the team wasn't convinced he was worth the money. They gave him a one-year prove it deal because anything longer would have taken him into Unrestricted Free Agency. So the options were to sign him long term to decent money ($4.5M range) or a 1 year at $3.5 range to see if he was worth it. Berglund wanted the longer deal. Point being, it had nothing to do with wanting to return to Sweeden. He might want to return this year, but it had nothing to do with last year. It would suck if he went to Sweeden. I wouldn't mind not having him next year but I'd like to see him on a team he could get good minutes on the wing with a decent center. I'd also like to get something in trade for him.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
Well, in watching the highlights it appears that he knows how to use a one-timer which puts him in a pretty exclusive club on the Blues.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
From what I heard last year, the one year deal was Blues decision. Berglund wanted a bigger money long term deal. the team wasn't convinced he was worth the money. They gave him a one-year prove it deal because anything longer would have taken him into Unrestricted Free Agency. So the options were to sign him long term to decent money ($4.5M range) or a 1 year at $3.5 range to see if he was worth it. Berglund wanted the longer deal. Point being, it had nothing to do with wanting to return to Sweeden. He might want to return this year, but it had nothing to do with last year. It would suck if he went to Sweeden. I wouldn't mind not having him next year but I'd like to see him on a team he could get good minutes on the wing with a decent center. I'd also like to get something in trade for him.

I heard/read the exact opposite on Berglund; Berglund is the one who opted for the one year deal because he wanted to prove himself and wasn't satisfied with the his performance during the previous season. I am almost certain that JR is the one who reported that. As for Berglund's reasoning, I don't think he wanted a 2-3 year deal between 3-4 mil a year; he took a 1 year deal in hopes of rebounding the following season, then he would get 4-5 million/ year.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Lolll that would be a joke if that happened.

Do you have a link to that? Because if that happens I'd seriously question ever giving money to this franchise again.

Wait, let me get this straight. In one breath he says the Blues will not be looking to add that play-making center everyone knows we need. Then the very next breath mentions possibly going after Spezza, a big name, big offense, play-making center. That seems a tad contradictory to me...Are we suppose to believe both of those statements.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Wait, let me get this straight. In one breath he says the Blues will not be looking to add that play-making center everyone knows we need. Then the very next breath mentions possibly going after Spezza, a big name, big offense, play-making center. That seems a tad contradictory to me...Are we suppose to believe both of those statements.
Agreed. And reading JR's chat today, he's all over the place so anything he says should be taken with a grain of salt.

I had forgotten until earlier today that Cracknell was a UFA and may not be back, so the Lindstrom deal definitely makes even more sense now.

bluesman11

Robert Johnson
Mar 19, 2010
JR's opinion is just opinion, unless he's sitting in on meetings he's just guessing like the rest of us...Wouldn't expect this management group to be an open book.

As for the signing, low risk, what's there not to like.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Signing Joakim Lindström for $700,000 is a great move. Replacing Roy, he makes the Blues current forwards a lot cheaper, - saving money to help entice Stastny, or another Free Agent, or to pay the salary of a high-level centre gained in trade. He should add scoring power to the 3rd Line, add help to The 2nd PP shift, help the shootout, add overall forward depth, and another forward who can be brought into The Top 6 for short emergency stints. He's a decent 2-way player now, and significantly better than he was when he left The NHL. The Blues have everything to gain, if he plays well, and little to lose IF he fails. No Roy, Ott or Morrow. More forwards were needed to be added than just a top-notch or 2nd Line centre.

Last edited:

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
Also with any hope this shuts up the contingent that thought the Blues were going to sign Vrabata to play 3rd line wing for $15/hour.
Not that I would not be completely in favor of it, just that it wasn't going to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad