OT: Blues Forum Lounge (Home of All Things OT) - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
Cards are apparently close to signing Jhonny Peralta

Hmmmm. I'd rather have Hardy as well but not at the cost of losing Miller.

Back to Peralta, if it comes to fruition, overpayment is a given, his age 31 and how much longer will he remain a SS? And the whole PEDS rap. On the positive, he's a incremental improvement over Kosma, plus the Cardinals would not lose a high pick like they would if they signed Drew , and of course you don't lose any players so I'm all for the risk and I like what the Cardinals have done with much improved team defense and team speed.

I loved the Freese trade. Anaheim Stadium is fast becoming a Cardinals retirement home, and it looks like Imo's and their soupy marinara sauce will have to find another Cardinal to pitch their product :naughty:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
You can no longer hit the quarterback period. What a joke.

I thought the same thing. Textbook tackle. Absolutely textbook.

EDIT: Rams finish it off anyway. 42-21. Maybe next year will be the year this team puts it together an makes the playoffs. The D is ready, the O still needs some work.

Last edited:

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I'm a Bears fan (bandwagon Rams fan) and was watching the game, of course. That hit was legit. Great hit, but didn't matter...the Bears defense blows.

Cards situation looks okay. Not a fan of Matheny. I think the Cardinals do well in spite of him. He came in with a stacked roster and system.

I think the Cards still need some bench depth, especially a right-handed backup, backup catcher. Molina I starting to break down and Cruz will supplant him. When Molina goes down again the team will need someone to backup Cruz and I would prefer that someone to be on the bench already taking isolated pinch hit swings.

What will be Jon Jay's situation with the team?

Colt 55

RIP Oscar and Jose
Jan 28, 2012
Coronado
Hmmmm. I'd rather have Hardy as well but not at the cost of losing Miller.

Back to Peralta, if it comes to fruition, overpayment is a given, his age 31 and how much longer will he remain a SS? And the whole PEDS rap. On the positive, he's a incremental improvement over Kosma, plus the Cardinals would not lose a high pick like they would if they signed Drew , and of course you don't lose any players so I'm all for the risk and I like what the Cardinals have done with much improved team defense and team speed.

I loved the Freese trade. Anaheim Stadium is fast becoming a Cardinals retirement home, and it looks like Imo's and their soupy marinara sauce will have to find another Cardinal to pitch their product :naughty:

Imo's bashing? You're doan sir, doan.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
This contract could be an albatross in a couple of years, but it is an upgrade in the short term. Hes another guy who can hit lefties real well, something we can always use more of.

Hes a solid hitter for a shortstop, but is below average for a 3rd baseman or corner outfielder. If he cant handle defense at shortstop and has to move positions in a couple of years, it kills his value.

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
This contract could be an albatross in a couple of years, but it is an upgrade in the short term. Hes another guy who can hit lefties real well, something we can always use more of.

Hes a solid hitter for a shortstop, but is below average for a 3rd baseman or corner outfielder. If he cant handle defense at shortstop and has to move positions in a couple of years, it kills his value.

Agreed on the contract being a albatross by 2016, 4 years and 52 Million, and will turn 32 by Memorial day, 2014, but a major upgrade over Kozma in the short term.

Cardinals have done a great job at drafting and developing recently, with the exception of SS and Catcher, and Yadi will also turn 32 in 2014, they need to draft better talent at these positions the sooner the better.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
This is very much a Mozeliak type of move. Looking for value in a veteran player much like Berkman and Beltran without sacrificing his beloved farm eggs. But the term is a little intense for me and it's disappointing not to find a long-term solution. Already we're talking about a changing of positions in two years. I understand this was very much a sellers market but they have 100 quality, MLB-ready arms that they can't hoard forever.

I don't love Craig and his fragile body in right.

I do very much like the defensive upgrade in center, the fact Taveras isn't rushed and can start in Memphis, and that the lineup has more speed than they've had in a decade. This team again won't hit a lot of HR's and they will be gap to gap for the seeable future but they have a ton of just really great hitters. They won't .330 with RISP but they will have a **** ton of opportunities.

With Wacha, Miller, Lynn, Garcia, Kelly, Waino, Motte, Rosenthal, Martinez….what do you think happens when Aprils rolls around?

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
This is very much a Mozeliak type of move. Looking for value in a veteran player much like Berkman and Beltran without sacrificing his beloved farm eggs. But the term is a little intense for me and it's disappointing not to find a long-term solution. Already we're talking about a changing of positions in two years. I understand this was very much a sellers market but they have 100 quality, MLB-ready arms that they can't hoard forever.

I don't love Craig and his fragile body in right.

I do very much like the defensive upgrade in center, the fact Taveras isn't rushed and can start in Memphis, and that the lineup has more speed than they've had in a decade. This team again won't hit a lot of HR's and they will be gap to gap for the seeable future but they have a ton of just really great hitters. They won't .330 with RISP but they will have a **** ton of opportunities.

With Wacha, Miller, Lynn, Garcia, Kelly, Waino, Motte, Rosenthal, Martinez….what do you think happens when Aprils rolls around?

I think if the roster stays exactly as it is right now, the rotation is probably Waino, Wacha, Garcia, Miller, Lynn in my opinion. Rosenthal would be the closer, Motte would be the 8th inning guy, Martinez the 7th ideally. That would also leave guys like Kelly, Siegrist, Choate, and Maness in the pen. On paper, that's a very difficult group of guys to score against.

Colt 55

RIP Oscar and Jose
Jan 28, 2012
Coronado
I think if the roster stays exactly as it is right now, the rotation is probably Waino, Wacha, Garcia, Miller, Lynn in my opinion. Rosenthal would be the closer, Motte would be the 8th inning guy, Martinez the 7th ideally. That would also leave guys like Kelly, Siegrist, Choate, and Maness in the pen. On paper, that's a very difficult group of guys to score against.

I'd think the Card's are leaning towards Kelly over Lyn just based on the way that Kelly played the 2nd half of the season. Kelly was, without a doubt, our best pitcher from the break to the end of the regular season, I hope they would reward him for that play.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Just finished listening to Mozeliak's press conference about the Peralta signing and he said something that really struck me. He said that had they wanted Peralta because they didn't want then entire infield to be lefties. Sounds to me like Craig's going to right and that they want Adams to see a full season's worth of at bats at first.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
Just finished listening to Mozeliak's press conference about the Peralta signing and he said something that really struck me. He said that had they wanted Peralta because they didn't want then entire infield to be lefties. Sounds to me like Craig's going to right and that they want Adams to see a full season's worth of at bats at first.

That's what I was expecting. I'm sure they'll plug Craig at first with Tavares for a few games too, but it'll be primary with Adams at first.

He's earned it.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Another reason why we needed Bourjos. Holliday and Craig aren't exactly great defenders with tons of range.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006

I believe Motte makes $7 mil this season. Lot of money for a set-up guy. If he's healthy, and I heard Matthew Leach speculate about this during the playoffs on the radio, I could see him being a trade chip if he shows other teams he's healthy during spring training. Especially since Martinez showed he can be a dominant late inning reliever that can give you as much as six outs.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
I believe Motte makes $7 mil this season. Lot of money for a set-up guy. If he's healthy, and I heard Matthew Leach speculate about this during the playoffs on the radio, I could see him being a trade chip if he shows other teams he's healthy during spring training. Especially since Martinez showed he can be a dominant late inning reliever that can give you as much as six outs.

At this point I think the team would rather trade Garcia than Motte.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012

It is a lot of money for a set up guy, but that's offset by the fact that we have a 7th inning guy and a closer making peanuts. The Cards could easily afford to keep Motte around if they so choose. They could trade him, but what do we really need? Backup catcher? Second baseman if we don't believe in Wong(which clearly the Cards do believe in him, seeing as they traded Freese to free up a spot for him)? I just don't see any reason to trade him unless a team offers a young, solid SS in return. In that situation, Peralta could slide to third, Carpenter to second, Wong in AAA or on the bench. I just don't understand the point.

I think the fiasco with both Boggs at the beginning of the year, and Mujica at the end of the year should bring light to the fact that you can never have enough quality relievers. Rosenthal was great last year, but what if he develops Mitchell Boggs syndrome and can't pitch anymore? Then who's the closer? Martinez with very little MLB experience? I don't like the sound of that.

I would keep him around until he either proves he can't pitch, becomes too expensive to keep with the rest of the relievers, or returns a trade offer that can't be refused. Otherwise, I don't get it.

Edgar

Dec 29, 2009
BTW, Happy Thanksgiving to all my American counterparts. Enjoy the turkey, the awesome season thus far, and the Black Friday deals. Cheers

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I don't think there's any way Motte moves. With as much cheap bullpen arms as we have, we can afford him right now. We don't know what we're going to have with him, so we're better off just easing him back in. All in all though, I'm extremely excited about next year. We've plugged all our major holes. Now all we need is a bench bat.

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
Imo's bashing? You're doan sir, doan.

Yep, my fiance started a pizza joint in Hillsboro MO here in Jefferson County in July, Pizza Junction that puts Imo's to shame with their high prices and soup like marinara sauce. come check it out for yourself everyone we have a Bar, everyday Pizza Buffet from 11am till 2pm, salad bar, wings, beef tips, 2 big screen plasma TV's ravioli, and a reserved area for groups or parties.

Ok back to OT :

I'd like to see the Cardinals go after a Utility man like Kelly Johnson or Willie Bloomquist just in case Wong struggles.

Last edited:

bluemandan

Ya Ma Goo!
Mar 18, 2008
BTW, Happy Thanksgiving to all my American counterparts. Enjoy the turkey, the awesome season thus far, and the Black Friday deals. Cheers

Thanks for the warm wishes!!

The turkey was delicious, the game today was a disappointment, and I don't go shopping among the crazies on Black Friday.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Was really looking forward to the Mizzou game tonight, but I think this Alabama-Auburn game has ruined it :laugh:

Unbelievable game of football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad