OT: Blues Forum Lounge (Home of All Things OT) - Part 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Would be nice if they made intermission about 70 minutes tonight so could watch both game and GOT in real time.
Yeah, I started a week trial of HBO Now to make sure I could watch the game. I don’t have HBO but usually go to a friends house, and they don’t care about hockey so I was like “I’ll just come over next week” lol

Reactions: Blueston

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Not gonna lie I didn’t even realize that wasn’t in the OT thread lol.

But if you’re waiting for the books, you might be waiting awhile

xmlzekoiqz811.jpg

There's enough change from the book to show, I wouldn't wait for the book. Fire and Blood was about 70% useless.....

Well even in the OT thread I ask people to avoid spoilers or use spoiler tags. Its not just spoiling a year old TV episode, its spoiling a yet to be released book. So its a little different than the usual rules of spoilers. Granted I have less of an argument now that it got moved to OT thread. I may just have to avoid this thread for the time being.

Even if the show is different from the book, I want to read the written version with no per-conceived notions of how the story ends. And the show runners do know some of the ending, so some of it will be the same.

While I know Its possible the last 2 books may never come out, its also partially the principal of it. Contrary to some people's opinions, I do believe that an author owes something to the early adopters of a large series like this. There would be no TV series if we didn't read the books, recommend them to friends, buy multiple copies, etc. For a fantasy series to grow big enough to get a big budget series, it needs a ton of good word of mouth. That came from the fans of the books. So to focus on dozens of other projects at the expense of the books is a slap in the face of the people who gave him those other opportunities. Now I refuse to consume those products until I get the 7 books that were promised. I stopped watching GOT, I didn't watch Nightflyers, I won't read Wild Cards, Fire and Blood or any short story collection he contributes/edits. Vote with the wallet, so to speak for all the very little good losing my single purchases will do.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Please don't answer this in detail in the Blues Discussion thread. I'm trying not to watch the final three seasons until the books come out. So the last thing I need is an in-depth summary of all the plot lines someone didn't like.
As someone who has connections to the writers close to George (his writers’ group in Santa Fe), they will never get finished. The last one was only published because friends of his went and pulled all his notes together and pretty much forced it to happen. (My wife was roommates with one of these writers in college. I’ve met George in person through these connections.)

My impression is that he is going to enjoy the lifestyle afforded by his success, and won’t ever regain the motivation to finish. “He likes world building.” is how my wife puts it. He’s moved on to other projects that excite him more.

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
The first time I heard a plane take off of an aircraft carrier I freaked out.

We sleep in triple bunks. 3 beds stacked on top of each other. I'm a bit claustrophobic, so I learned to take the top bunk. Sucks either way.

I thought a missile hit us. The whole boat shuddered.

I jumped out of my rack and everyone laughed at me.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
The first time I heard a plane take off of an aircraft carrier I freaked out.

We sleep in triple bunks. 3 beds stacked on top of each other. I'm a bit claustrophobic, so I learned to take the top bunk. Sucks either way.

I thought a missile hit us. The whole boat shuddered.

I jumped out of my rack and everyone laughed at me.

I forgot to mention my bed was about 30 feet from where the shuttle hits water.

What propels planes off of carriers is steam. Steam pushes a catapult that pushes a plane. The catapult needs to stop. That is what makes a carrier shudder.

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Seeing the Hound in GoT last night brought back some memories of his funny one liners.

Hound: "Only c*nts name their swords."

Arya: "Lots of people name their swords."

Hound: "Lots of c*nts name their swords."

Reactions: AjaxManifesto

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
Going through the Straits of Hormuz, entering the Persian Gulf, where Iran says they have sovereign territory over the waters, just after 9/11 on the USS Roosevelt....

5 or 6 Iranian gun boats coming at high speed off the starboard side. I was having a cigarette watching this from the 3rd deck.

They were really far out. I'd say +10,000 yards. Too far for the Marines and their 50 cals.

That's when a sub, I assume Los Angeles class, surfaced. Just off the starboard side. No sound, no waves, middle of the day, just saying "hi."

The Iranians did an about face and were gone.

Really cool to see...

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Going through the Straits of Hormuz, entering the Persian Gulf, where Iran says they have sovereign territory over the waters, just after 9/11 on the USS Roosevelt....

5 or 6 Iranian gun boats coming at high speed off the starboard side. I was having a cigarette watching this from the 3rd deck.

They were really far out. I'd say +10,000 yards. Too far for the Marines and their 50 cals.

That's when a sub, I assume Los Angeles class, surfaced. Just off the starboard side. No sound, no waves, middle of the day, just saying "hi."

The Iranians did an about face and were gone.

Really cool to see...

Talk about a mismatch - the Iranian navy vs. the U. S. navy.

hey we won a cup
Feb 16, 2017
St. Louis
Doubt anyone cares, but ill be at the League of Legends NA finals today at the Chaifetz Arena. It's fairly unusual for any major e-sport event to happen in the area. I dont play League anymore, but it will be cool to finally be at an event. Not going to lie, if the best of 5 goes the distance, it's like 5 hours of sitting there. Longer than any baseball game.
Idk how I missed this post, but I was there lmao. Blues jersey and all.

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
Idk how I missed this post, but I was there lmao. Blues jersey and all.

I saw a bunch of Blues jerseys and hats while i was there. The games were mad entertaining. Im an Xmithie fan from the Vulcan days, and im impressed with Doublelift for standing the test of time. My only complaint, is that the spring final means less since it only leads into MSI. I've picked up CS in the past couple years, and nearly every other weekend there is an international tournament with top teams. I'd love to see the universe where NA and EU was forced to play the Koreans all the time.

Reactions: Default

hey we won a cup
Feb 16, 2017
St. Louis
I saw a bunch of Blues jerseys and hats while i was there. The games were mad entertaining. Im an Xmithie fan from the Vulcan days, and im impressed with Doublelift for standing the test of time. My only complaint, is that the spring final means less since it only leads into MSI. I've picked up CS in the past couple years, and nearly every other weekend there is an international tournament with top teams. I'd love to see the universe where NA and EU was forced to play the Koreans all the time.
Yeah me and my friends got a lot of “Let’s Go blues” which was cool. But yeah it sucked to see
Cloud9 lose in the semis to TSM via 2-0 reverse sweep, but hey karmas a b**** eh? I’ve got a personal grudge against Xmithie for the times he’s inted me in soloq lmao, but he’s a solid pro player. The teams also get championship points for where they finish based on the spring split which goes towards Worlds, so it means a little more than just MSI but not a lot.

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
Yeah me and my friends got a lot of “Let’s Go blues” which was cool. But yeah it sucked to see
Cloud9 lose in the semis to TSM via 2-0 reverse sweep, but hey karmas a b**** eh? I’ve got a personal grudge against Xmithie for the times he’s inted me in soloq lmao, but he’s a solid pro player. The teams also get championship points for where they finish based on the spring split which goes towards Worlds, so it means a little more than just MSI but not a lot.

There is something about LoL that makes you hate the game. You're so dependent on them, that it breeds enmity and turns everyone jaded. Turned on Aphromoo's stream a couple days ago. He's in Korea, and the entire game is him complaining about his teammates.

hey we won a cup
Feb 16, 2017
St. Louis
There is something about LoL that makes you hate the game. You're so dependent on them, that it breeds enmity and turns everyone jaded. Turned on Aphromoo's stream a couple days ago. He's in Korea, and the entire game is him complaining about his teammates.
Yeah I’ve had this conversation with a lot of people. We all basically say the same thing. League is definitely one of, if not the worst game to play when you’re losing. It just feels so hard to play. But if you do make that comeback, it’s an amazing feeling. And of course the fact that games range from 20-60 mins is another factor.

A Real Barn Burner

Apr 25, 2016
Well even in the OT thread I ask people to avoid spoilers or use spoiler tags. Its not just spoiling a year old TV episode, its spoiling a yet to be released book. So its a little different than the usual rules of spoilers. Granted I have less of an argument now that it got moved to OT thread. I may just have to avoid this thread for the time being.

Even if the show is different from the book, I want to read the written version with no per-conceived notions of how the story ends. And the show runners do know some of the ending, so some of it will be the same.

While I know Its possible the last 2 books may never come out, its also partially the principal of it. Contrary to some people's opinions, I do believe that an author owes something to the early adopters of a large series like this. There would be no TV series if we didn't read the books, recommend them to friends, buy multiple copies, etc. For a fantasy series to grow big enough to get a big budget series, it needs a ton of good word of mouth. That came from the fans of the books. So to focus on dozens of other projects at the expense of the books is a slap in the face of the people who gave him those other opportunities. Now I refuse to consume those products until I get the 7 books that were promised. I stopped watching GOT, I didn't watch Nightflyers, I won't read Wild Cards, Fire and Blood or any short story collection he contributes/edits. Vote with the wallet, so to speak for all the very little good losing my single purchases will do.

I support you for making that choice. I ultimately made the decision to watch I just don’t want to be evolved emotionally with anything GRRM related anymore.

I have been reading since the beginning, I was on some of the original forums (dragonstone and Westeros.org asoiaf when people where just putting together some of the most prominent therioes). However, GRRM attitude towards those who want the books has made me sour on him over the years. He goes out of the way to say I owe you nothing and ridicules those who ask.

He has literally made no effort to finish the books since HBO series started. I think he only came out with book five because HBO made him do it to take up the series in the first place. At least Robert Jordan tried to finish his books even if he failed in that endeavor.

I wish I thought your stand would make a difference but he is already a rich man and will only make more money off the spinoffs that are supposedly planed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xanadude

Xanadude

Jun 12, 2018
Ballwin
I support you for making that choice. I ultimately made the decision to watch I just don’t want to be evolved emotionally with anything GRRM related anymore.

I have been reading since the beginning, I was on some of the original forums (dragonstone and Westeros.org asoiaf when people where just putting together some of the most prominent therioes). However, GRRM attitude towards those who want the books has made me sour on him over the years. He goes out of the way to say I owe you nothing and ridicules those who ask.

He has literally made no effort to finish the books since HBO series started. I think he only came out with book five because HBO made him do it to take up the series in the first place. At least Robert Jordan tried to finish his books even if he failed in that endeavor.

I wish I thought your stand would make a difference but he is already a rich man and will only make more money off the spinoffs that are supposedly planed.
Me too- been a megafan for over a decade now. There is no way that man writes another word. he's done. It sucks, as, you know, 12 years of my life and all...but the more I think of it, if his heart isn't in it, I'd rather watch and know what happens than read a pair of half-hearted contractual obligations.

A Real Barn Burner

Apr 25, 2016
Me too- been a megafan for over a decade now. There is no way that man writes another word. he's done. It sucks, as, you know, 12 years of my life and all...but the more I think of it, if his heart isn't in it, I'd rather watch and know what happens than read a pair of half-hearted contractual obligations.

The problem is the “heart isn’t in it part”. Most fantasy authors go over the moon for thier fans and do anything to finish thier books. I could understand if it was getting the prose right but he isn’t know for great prose. The whole problem was/is the Menersese knot bs he managed a slight workaround in book five but will never take the next step pathetic really.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
From talking to people close to him, my wife says, “George enjoys ‘world-building’, but he doesn’t like completing a story/plot.” You can see that in the books as they go along and he kept introducing new locations and characters, to the point of bloat. After a while he couldn’t even fit all the point-of-view characters in the same novel (despite so many of them dying).

If he writes more, I’m sure it will be some new project that gets his creative juices flowing.

He’s still an artist. In Santa Fe, he helped fund the incredible Meow Wolf. It was an abandoned bowling alley that was transformed by a local artist community into a fully immersive art experience which includes building a house inside with secret passages, incredibly detailed paranormal mystery, and other dimensions which also happen to be dozens of varied styles of art, including auditory experiences and media I’d never seen before. There’s even a stage in the middle that hosts small concerts. If you are ever in Santa Fe, it’s worth scheduling. You can literally spend the whole day there and not be bored.

My point is that he’s still active and doing good things, but I see nothing in him that makes me think he’ll be motivated to write more on this series.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
From talking to people close to him, my wife says, “George enjoys ‘world-building’, but he doesn’t like completing a story/plot.” You can see that in the books as they go along and he kept introducing new locations and characters, to the point of bloat. After a while he couldn’t even fit all the point-of-view characters in the same novel (despite so many of them dying).

If he writes more, I’m sure it will be some new project that gets his creative juices flowing.

He’s still an artist. In Santa Fe, he helped fund the incredible Meow Wolf. It was an abandoned bowling alley that was transformed by a local artist community into a fully immersive art experience which includes building a house inside with secret passages, incredibly detailed paranormal mystery, and other dimensions which also happen to be dozens of varied styles of art, including auditory experiences and media I’d never seen before. There’s even a stage in the middle that hosts small concerts. If you are ever in Santa Fe, it’s worth scheduling. You can literally spend the whole day there and not be bored.

My point is that he’s still active and doing good things, but I see nothing in him that makes me think he’ll be motivated to write more on this series.

You had said something about how his writing group forced him to finish the last book. I occasionally do a winds of winter news search on the ever so faint hope he announces a release. A lot of the updates have said he secluded himself in the same remote cabin where he finished Dance with Dragons. But one of the quotes in one article said something about his friends locking him away until he finishes it. That lent credence to what you said, but also gave me hope. If they did it once, maybe they can again.

But if he really has no interest/ability in finishing it, he should co-author it with someone who does have the desire to finish it. I don't think Jordan was capable of finishing Wheel of Time, even had he strayed healthy and alive. Some people are just better at creating worlds, and not wrapping up narratives. To them every little detail of the world is important enough to need its own ending. An outsider can come in and say, here are the important plotlines we need to wrap up, and here is the garbage we need to let go. I'd definitely be ok if Winds was written by a talented up-and-coming fantasy author working with Martin's advice and guidance, much like Sanderson did with Jordan's wife and editor. I don't think Sanderson is a fit stylistically, but maybe Joe Abecrombie or Brent Weeks (I recomend both for those that read a lot of fantasy), if not one of the friends in his writing group.

hey we won a cup
Feb 16, 2017
St. Louis
Yeah I’m pretty sure the last book I read was something like the Hunger Games back in like 7th grade. I used to like books, idk what happened chief

A Real Barn Burner

Apr 25, 2016
Yeah I’m pretty sure the last book I read was something like the Hunger Games back in like 7th grade. I used to like books, idk what happened chief

Tell us what you like and we shall lead you. Seriously though love reading could recommend all day but have to know the general genre you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->