GDT: Blues @ Ducks| That Was Fun, Let's Do It Again|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
It’s really strange seeing the Ducks and Kings at the bottom of the league. Not long ago going to Southern California was some of the toughest 2 or 4 points of the year consistently every season.

Feel a little bad for Getzlaf, I’ve always respected his game and now he appears to be the last standing from those powerhouse ducks teams. Another untradeable (phone autocorrected to unreadable lol) monster contract I assume.

For sure, he's been one of the toughest guys to play against over the past decade+. I have no doubt he wanted to be the one to drop the gloves Saturday night to try and fire his team up. He is actually a UFA after this year (had to look it up), so I wonder if he will go the Thonrton route and sign with a contender. He's only 35 and still effective, so I bet he'll get decent interest as a UFA.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I actually feel a bit bad for Eakins there. That team is bad, and they already look defeated 3 weeks into the season. Their body language is that of a team that doesn’t expect to win. Not sure which coach could turn that around.

One bad thing about the division schedule is that the bottom teams across the league don’t get to play each other for a morale boost once in a while.
There are plenty of bad teams in our division,

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Love that Husso played good game shut down these jokers.
Are you really going to tell me straight up that Husso has been a world beater for the past 2 years (3 if you include this year)? Hell, he wasn't even league average in the ahl those years, let alone the nhl. I want him to succeed just as much as anyone else, but he didn't exude any confidence until he made a few good saves last night. I give him all the credit in the world for playing well, but that doesn't even remotely make him a reliable backup just yet. Let's give him 10 games and see where he's at before we even start talking about him maybe being reliable

Reactions: Joshuar56

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
In general, the Blues don't celebrate much after they score goals, which I like. After Schenn's goals there was almost no reaction either. They just fist bump, say "good job boys" and get back to work. Professional attitude, and save the cellys for the big moments.

A lot to like from last night's game. Despite the Blues efforts to lose the game in the first period, they clamped down and played well the rest of the way. Barby had that awful giveaway in the first that should have led to a goal against, but then he seemed to be more engaged and had chances later on.

Husso looked great, and it was a smart move to give him the start tonight.

Thomas line had their best effort in awhile and Hoffman was more involved.

Mikkola also had the best game of his young career, as Chief gave him a bit more ice time. Interesting that Dunn got over 20 mins, but Mikkola was more involved and noticeable in 15 mins. Also interesting that Scandella only played roughly 14 mins.

Last but not least, but Faulk keeps impressing an is playing like a legit #1 defenseman right now. He's crushing guys with hits, making good plays and that set-up for Schenn's first goal was perfect. Which is great to see as Parayko has only been average so far, in my opinion.
Honestly at this point, if Dunn isn't being noticed, then that's probably a good thing. I'd rather not hear about him than hear about his awful gaffs and mistakes. I agree with basically everything you said here, but man Parayko has been awful. I understand he is recovering from something, maybe covid related, but I do wonder how much affect those lung issues have on players, especially guys like Parayko. It seemed like it was timing and play making that has been bad, not necessarily his skating.

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
Honestly at this point, if Dunn isn't being noticed, then that's probably a good thing. I'd rather not hear about him than hear about his awful gaffs and mistakes. I agree with basically everything you said here, but man Parayko has been awful. I understand he is recovering from something, maybe covid related, but I do wonder how much affect those lung issues have on players, especially guys like Parayko. It seemed like it was timing and play making that has been bad, not necessarily his skating.
True, though sometimes if you're tired or if you're playing while sick, you will make decisions you normally don't when healthy. I think it's a product of just not being 100% and it affecting your mental game. My guess is Parayko is dealing with post-COVID issues, and even being at 95% can through your game off.

Reactions: ezcreepin

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
i believe they have said on the broadcasts several times that Parayko is dealing with an injury and we know he missed practice time after the very first game
last game they said it was his first slapshot in a while so it could be a rib/chest or some sort of wrist/arm injury
if you are tentative and/or cannot do certain things like normal because of an injury that could explain some of the flubs and missed plays

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
It’s really strange seeing the Ducks and Kings at the bottom of the league. Not long ago going to Southern California was some of the toughest 2 or 4 points of the year consistently every season.

Feel a little bad for Getzlaf, I’ve always respected his game and now he appears to be the last standing from those powerhouse ducks teams. Another untradeable (phone autocorrected to unreadable lol) monster contract I assume.

Getzlaf is a UFA after this season. 8.25m cap hit this year, with a full NMC, owed 3m in salary (3m signing bonus already paid).

I don't expect he gets traded this year, but he could possibly go elsewhere in FA this summer, or get 2-3 year deal on a more friendly cap hit if he wants to come back.

I don't see him getting less than 5 AAV and likely closer to 6m AAV over a 2-3 year deal to stay in Anaheim. I don't expect him to leave the organization either, he's already got a cup from 2007. He's got the resume I'd expect to see retained in some capacity in the front office when he decides to hang up his skates.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Getzlaf is a UFA after this season. 8.25m cap hit this year, with a full NMC, owed 3m in salary (3m signing bonus already paid).

I don't expect he gets traded this year, but he could possibly go elsewhere in FA this summer, or get 2-3 year deal on a more friendly cap hit if he wants to come back.

I don't see him getting less than 5 AAV and likely closer to 6m AAV over a 2-3 year deal to stay in Anaheim. I don't expect him to leave the organization either, he's already got a cup from 2007. He's got the resume I'd expect to see retained in some capacity in the front office when he decides to hang up his skates.

Complete and total respect here for Getzlaf. I was really impressed with the way he acted during the Bouwmeester emergency. The man is a true leader and just a great human being. I would sign him as a free agent next season in a heartbeat, regardless of how much space we might have for him.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Nice win. Anyone notice that Dunn seems to be just not engaged? No excitement when he scores. Nothing but a fist bump for Husso. I noticed when he scored the other night that the celebration from the guys on the ice was very “ehh whatever” and same for the guys on the bench.

Maybe it’s his personality or maybe I’m just reading way too far into it. Seems less about his play and more of an “I want out” type of attitude. I know he’s friends with Thomas and Blais I think.

Or maybe he’s just 24 lol.
His goal the other night was the sixth goal, game was 6-1 at the time IIRC. Would honestly have been way weirder if there had been a big celly after.

Reactions: simon IC

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
When I was watching it last night it caught my attention but I thought he said "shinny" hockey, which for those who don't know can refer to a loose/lackadaisical play. I thought his accent made it sound more like the naughty word but maybe he did say it lol.
He said shitty

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Love that Husso played good game shut down these jokers.
There's like 100 people in Finland...Husso is probably your cousin. Go figure.

Seriously, he played well. But I made that comment after his first 5 minutes in goal. He looked shakey. Very shakey. He should avoid stick handling and coming out of the crease. Stay in net and don't wander.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad