GDT: Blues @ Ducks| That Was Fun, Let's Do It Again|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Nice win. Anyone notice that Dunn seems to be just not engaged? No excitement when he scores. Nothing but a fist bump for Husso. I noticed when he scored the other night that the celebration from the guys on the ice was very “ehh whatever” and same for the guys on the bench.

Maybe it’s his personality or maybe I’m just reading way too far into it. Seems less about his play and more of an “I want out” type of attitude. I know he’s friends with Thomas and Blais I think.

Or maybe he’s just 24 lol.

To be fair, when Dunn scored, the game was already completely out of hand. Generally teams won't show much emotion when they pile on in a game.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Good decision to start Husso. It would have been easy to go back with Binnington, but you have to figure out what you have in Husso....and Husso needs to figure out what he is.

I liked the team response to the early goal, well...after the 1st period.

Not too concerned about Hoffman. He’s starting to muck it up around the net and get a little more physical. Not everything is working, but I think he’s on the right path to finding his game. If the Blues are accumulating points, there’s no harm in Hoffman taking a while. We want him to be comfortable for the stretch run and post-season.

I am not sure what to think about Dunn. Do they really need the Cap space of trading Dunn for futures? As a contender, there is an argument for just keeping the depth. This is why i wonder if maybe Dunn quietly requested a trade. Anyway, I think they’ll get a decent return for him. I’m just not sure it will make the Blues better in the short term.

Reactions: ezcreepin

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
It’s pretty wild that our old friend Jani Hakanpaa is currently Anaheim’s #4 defenseman. If anyone is curious to go back in time and look at old prospect ranking threads, Jani was once highly regarded around these parts. Like, probably unnecessarily so; in all fairness our prospect pool was reaaal thin at the time, especially on defense. But it’s good to see him in the league now, even if he’s mostly getting caved in. Makes you wonder if, on a better team, he’d be serviceable.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
This is good news.

Husso bounced back really well. Great sign.

He’ll get another start in a week and half or whatever. Keep it up!!

Was this his first career win? I think it is!!!
Yes, it is! He's on his way! Let's hope it's a great career. His fundamentals seem weaker than some recent Blues' rookie goalies. But they CAN be learned and worked on. It will depend upon how much he wants to improve, and if he's a good learner. If he didn't have a decent attitude, The Blues would have dumped him by now. Who is The Blues' current goaltender coach in camp? We no longer have Marty B. to coach our kids.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Nice win. Anyone notice that Dunn seems to be just not engaged? No excitement when he scores. Nothing but a fist bump for Husso. I noticed when he scored the other night that the celebration from the guys on the ice was very “ehh whatever” and same for the guys on the bench.

Maybe it’s his personality or maybe I’m just reading way too far into it. Seems less about his play and more of an “I want out” type of attitude. I know he’s friends with Thomas and Blais I think.

In general, the Blues don't celebrate much after they score goals, which I like. After Schenn's goals there was almost no reaction either. They just fist bump, say "good job boys" and get back to work. Professional attitude, and save the cellys for the big moments.

A lot to like from last night's game. Despite the Blues efforts to lose the game in the first period, they clamped down and played well the rest of the way. Barby had that awful giveaway in the first that should have led to a goal against, but then he seemed to be more engaged and had chances later on.

Husso looked great, and it was a smart move to give him the start tonight.

Thomas line had their best effort in awhile and Hoffman was more involved.

Mikkola also had the best game of his young career, as Chief gave him a bit more ice time. Interesting that Dunn got over 20 mins, but Mikkola was more involved and noticeable in 15 mins. Also interesting that Scandella only played roughly 14 mins.

Last but not least, but Faulk keeps impressing an is playing like a legit #1 defenseman right now. He's crushing guys with hits, making good plays and that set-up for Schenn's first goal was perfect. Which is great to see as Parayko has only been average so far, in my opinion.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Yes, it is! He's on his way! Let's hope it's a great career. His fundamentals seem weaker than some recent Blues' rookie goalies. But they CAN be learned and worked on. It will depend upon how much he wants to improve, and if he's a good learner. If he didn't have a decent attitude, The Blues would have dumped him by now. Who is The Blues' current goaltender coach in camp? We no longer have Marty B. to coach our kids.
Think it’s David Alexander.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Kyrou and Hoffman are the only two players without any Penalty minutes on the season for the team so far.

Cotton McKnight

He left, get over it!
Feb 6, 2009
Siloam Springs
It was nice to Husso calm down with the second PK against and finish this one out. Time to get him tested against stronger teams, hopeful that there is a good upside with him.

Saying this over and over in my head "be patient with Hoffman."

Yay! We won the 2nd game!

It is just brutal to watch the Ducks play, they're such an Eakins team, how does that guy repeatedly get jobs in the NHL?

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura
It was nice to Husso calm down with the second PK against and finish this one out. Time to get him tested against stronger teams, hopeful that there is a good upside with him.

It is just brutal to watch the Ducks play, they're such an Eakins team, how does that guy repeatedly get jobs in the NHL?
He tricks GMs by being successful in the A

Reactions: CoMoBlues

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

Honestly, I don't know if any coach could win with that team. I mean they have Shatty on the first d-pairing and their team leader has 5 points in 10 games.

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada

Analytics guys will always have spots in the modern-day NHL.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014

I've been a bit worried that his dissatisfaction with his contract situation leaked into his game. If he comes around then its no big deal. I haven't noticed what you described about the excitement level of him and his teammates, but if he's becoming a malcontent and it is leaking into the room and not just his game on the ice, then I feel like they'll move him by the deadline.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
Honestly, I don't know if any coach could win with that team. I mean they have Shatty on the first d-pairing and their team leader has 5 points in 10 games.
It’s really strange seeing the Ducks and Kings at the bottom of the league. Not long ago going to Southern California was some of the toughest 2 or 4 points of the year consistently every season.

Feel a little bad for Getzlaf, I’ve always respected his game and now he appears to be the last standing from those powerhouse ducks teams. Another untradeable (phone autocorrected to unreadable lol) monster contract I assume.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

I actually feel a bit bad for Eakins there. That team is bad, and they already look defeated 3 weeks into the season. Their body language is that of a team that doesn’t expect to win. Not sure which coach could turn that around.

One bad thing about the division schedule is that the bottom teams across the league don’t get to play each other for a morale boost once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad