Blues Discussion Thread 2018-2019 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I understand the playing time though. Who do we take minutes from? Over the first 2 games, the big 4 forwards lead even-strength time, with each either almost at or over 15 minutes. Steen is at just over 12. The next group is either just over 11 or just under 11, and then Thomas is just under 9. Special teams is a big difference maker.

As far as 5v5 time split, it's about what I would expect, and want.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Dunn was far from our worst defender last game, and is pretty easily better than Jerabek.

Curious how he's the one who appears to be the next odd man out, following Schmaltz who had a good game, and after watching all the kids have their TOI drop through the floor. Especially considering that Dunn has an important role on the PP.

You would think that an NHL coach would be able to divorce how well one is playing from how old one is, but I honestly don't think Yeo's "You get the playing time you earn" mantra applies to anyone over the age of 23.

No chance he's going to sit Bouwmeester, for example, so I guess Dunn will just have to do.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Yeo may be trying to win a battle, but good coaches want to win the war. Sure it would suck losing a game when our best players could have played more and maybe swung it. However, it will suck infinitely more when our best players hit a wall after playing 22 minutes a night for months and our next wave is too afraid of getting benched for making a mistake to do anything. The former is one loss, the latter is the recipe for a slump.

Reactions: simon IC

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I understand the playing time though. Who do we take minutes from? Over the first 2 games, the big 4 forwards lead even-strength time, with each either almost at or over 15 minutes. Steen is at just over 12. The next group is either just over 11 or just under 11, and then Thomas is just under 9. Special teams is a big difference maker.

As far as 5v5 time split, it's about what I would expect, and want.
You take them from whoever isn't playing well.

That is what Yeo claims to be wanting to do, after all.

Reactions: The Note in MI

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI

Last game that was Schwartz Schenn and Perron of the forward group. I can see the reasoning behind giving your two Top producing forwards from the year before the benefit of the doubt though.

What we really need is for some kids to get on the board. Blais burying his chance right in front of the net last gale. Or Kyrou sniping one of his many shots from between the circles. Those are what we need. That’s going to lead to more ice time for them imo. Production. Easier said than done with 6 min of ice time though.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Brutal quotes by Yeo. He's going to sit here and act like Robert Thomas is taking ice time away from Tarasenko and Schwartz? That's absolute nonsense. There's 12 forwards.

Ugh.

Reactions: KirkOut

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

Yes, but based on the numbers from the 1st 2 games, I have a hard time critiquing the coaches in this area. There is plenty of other blame for the coaches, but I don't think ice time splits is one of them. I don't think the young players have been so good where they have to give them time, and the team in general has been bad, so I'm not sure who specifically gets demoted, and who would receive their minutes.

It's not like he's over playing Maroon or Perron or Bozak during 5v5. I understand sticking with them on the PP to let them get some time to gel. At a certain point, I expect this to be an area where some of the younger players can gain some time.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Last game that was Schwartz Schenn and Perron of the forward group. I can see the reasoning behind giving your two Top producing forwards from the year before the benefit of the doubt though.

What we really need is for some kids to get on the board. Blais burying his chance right in front of the net last gale. Or Kyrou sniping one of his many shots from between the circles. Those are what we need. That’s going to lead to more ice time for them imo. Production. Easier said than done with 6 min of ice time though.
Top line guys don't need 20 minutes of TOI. Schwartz has excelled for his entire career in the 17-19 minute range.

It's fine to give them that if they're playing extremely well, or if the alternatives are playing extremely poorly, but if you're going to give them that regardless of how they're playing because that's how you "try to win," then that's pretty much directly at odds with the notion of "you get the playing time you earn."

You can't have it both ways.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Top line guys don't need 20 minutes of TOI. Schwartz has excelled for his entire career in the 17-19 minute range.

It's fine to give them that if they're playing extremely well, or if the alternatives are playing extremely poorly, but if you're going to give them that regardless of how they're playing because that's how you "try to win," then that's pretty much directly at odds with the notion of "you get the playing time you earn."

You can't have it both ways.

It's been 2 games though. I think you need more of a sample before players start losing any significant time. I also don't think time should be docked in an individual game, unless some is playing like complete garbage and some below them is really tearing it up. That hasn't been the case yet in either game IMO.

Reactions: thedustman

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If the young players never get more time over the season, then there is a problem. I don't know who specifically we would've taken time away from so far, that's why I don't see an issue.

It's just very poor timing for Yeo's comments and we sort of want his head so far, since many of the same strategy/coaching/style issues from last season still exist.

Reactions: Dbrownss

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
Not much of a sample yet, but it seems clear that the lines will need to be changed soon.

Good to see the fourth line working well. Barbashev seems back to the two way player we once knew.

When Fabbri comes back, I think that makes the line combos a bit easier to rearrange.

*The crushing hits are fun, but I don't think Maroon should be on the first line.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
It's been 2 games though. I think you need more of a sample before players start losing any significant time. I also don't think time should be docked in an individual game, unless some is playing like complete garbage and some below them is really tearing it up. That hasn't been the case yet in either game IMO.
That's fine for fans, but Yeo isn't making his coaching decisions based upon 10 game sample sizes, so in the context of his coaching decisions, it's kind of a moot point.

Also, why shouldn't that assumption apply equally to everyone on the roster? What did Thomas do to get docked down to 6 minutes of TOI? Why does it always seem to be "let's get the vets settled then we'll figure out the kids later?" The kids are part of the team, not an afterthought.

If you're going to have a public "policy" regarding TOI, it should apply to everyone equally. If it doesn't, it's just a hogwash rationalization for whatever you want to do but can't otherwise justify rationally.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Let's not forget Tage Thompson's comments about being afraid to make a mistake. We kinda dismissed it at the time. Maybe it is just excuses from an entitled youth. But it is something to be wary of going forward with all the talented youth we have.

Reactions: The Note in MI

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Let's not forget Tage Thompson's comments about being afraid to make a mistake. We kinda dismissed it at the time. Maybe it is just excuses from an entitled youth. But it is something to be wary of going forward with all the talented youth we have.
Who was it that said, "dont be the next Barbashev". I cant remember if it was Yeo or Armstrong.

If they want those kids on the roster then they need to play, let them play through mistakes. They will make them, they are creative with the puck and that's going to lead to boo boos. Take Dunn for instance, if he got that puck through, O'reilly(I think) is all alone with the goalie.

I didnt keep track of Chicago's guys but they are playing a rookie on the top line and top pairing.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
That's fine for fans, but Yeo isn't making his coaching decisions based upon 10 game sample sizes, so in the context of his coaching decisions, it's kind of a moot point.

Also, why shouldn't that assumption apply equally to everyone on the roster? What did Thomas do to get docked down to 6 minutes of TOI? Why does it always seem to be "let's get the vets settled then we'll figure out the kids later?" The kids are part of the team, not an afterthought.

If you're going to have a public "policy" regarding TOI, it should apply to everyone equally. If it doesn't, it's just a hogwash rationalization for whatever you want to do but can't otherwise justify rationally.

So how would you have handled it? Genuinely curious.

Even in game 2, I'm not sure who plays less and who plays more. The big thing was all the special teams work for Steen and Bozak, especially Bozak. This is more of a PP issue, and not a even-strength issue though.

Once we get more into the season, I'd like to see Thomas get into spots that he excels in. Part of that is the penalty kill. Take Schenn off and put Thomas on, but Thomas also needs to be ready for that role, and I'm not sure that he is.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

I think there is a point to what he said, but the counter is Dunn. Dunn proved he was good enough and earned a bigger role during the season. The youngsters don't have a long leash though.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
My view on Yeo right now is similar to Allen. Both have done more than enough to lose their jobs, but for these 2 games, I don't think Allen has deserved to be benched, and I don't think Yeo's ice-time management has been an issue.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'd like someone to ask Yeo if this is close to what his system is. Breakouts, neutral zone and Ozone, because it all looks like crap.....and the dzone coverage, I don't know what I'm looking at

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'd like someone to ask Yeo if this is close to what his system is. Breakouts, neutral zone and Ozone, because it all looks like crap.....and the dzone coverage, I don't know what I'm looking at

I think it was in JR's tweets, but maybe one of the others, but some people online thought he said the other word for poop instead of shiny. Yeo said that both words would apply, so he admits the team is playing like poop, so it's obviously not what his style should look like.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Brutal quotes by Yeo. He's going to sit here and act like Robert Thomas is taking ice time away from Tarasenko and Schwartz? That's absolute nonsense. There's 12 forwards.

Ugh.
I agree, what a horseshit answer. Get real Yeo.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
So how would you have handled it? Genuinely curious.

Even in game 2, I'm not sure who plays less and who plays more. The big thing was all the special teams work for Steen and Bozak, especially Bozak. This is more of a PP issue, and not a even-strength issue though.

Once we get more into the season, I'd like to see Thomas get into spots that he excels in. Part of that is the penalty kill. Take Schenn off and put Thomas on, but Thomas also needs to be ready for that role, and I'm not sure that he is.
I'm not sure what you're asking me. How would I have handled the TOI distribution, or the public statements related to them?

Assuming the former, are you asking how I would do things if left to my own devices, or how I would do them given Yeo's constructions and principles?

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Yeo definitely seems to be at odds with his decision making and his supposed "philosophy."

First of all, f*** Schwartz. He was dogshit Saturday. So who would've really complained if he sat a shift or two? He certainly didn't "earn" his ice time.

Also, how can you expect a young player to earn ice time when you literally don't play him?

It's not like Thomas is playing with studs. Barbashev is really a bottom six player grinder type and Blais looks like he has a similar projection.

Look at what other teams have done with rookies. DeBrusk was excellent on a line with Krejci last season. Debrincat tore it up on a line with Kane. Dubois played with Panarin.

We have a deep, skilled roster.

Maroon-ROR-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Perron/Barbashev
Steen-Bozak-Perron/Barbashev
Fabbri-Thomas-Kyrou

Then Blais could also be in instead of Barbashev.

Use that third line in more of a pure checking role.

You can even stack up, by moving Schenn to RW, sliding Thomas up to the top six and putting Barbashev at 4C.

I'd like to see some creativity out of the coaching staff. There's no reason to not mix it up through slumps and struggles.

And for the love of God sit JBo in the press box he's the worst player in the team and a complete liability.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I think it was in JR's tweets, but maybe one of the others, but some people online thought he said the other word for poop instead of shiny. Yeo said that both words would apply, so he admits the team is playing like poop, so it's obviously not what his style should look like.
Hopefully

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm not sure what you're asking me. How would I have handled the TOI distribution, or the public statements related to them?

Assuming the former, are you asking how I would do things if left to my own devices, or how I would do them given Yeo's constructions and principles?

I guess both. I was just taken aback by your take on this, as you are usually pretty measured and balanced. Maybe you are just at your breaking point with Yeo though, and I can understand that, I'm there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad